Nurgle Genestealer Cult

urion

Papa Nurgle has been summoned by the cult. Decided to repaint my Great Unclean One. I striped him and my Nurglings with acetone to get them off their resin bases. It worked great.
2hed16p.jpg

6fzcxk.jpg

urion":3bhtodah said:
I often have that same problem. I was thinking about this yesterday actually. The conclusion I came to was partially inspired by something John Blanche said along the lines of a miniature should be a small piece of artwork in itself, I am paraphrasing and others may be able to quote it better.

If you are owrried, just do conversions where you add to the model, not take away. For example, using putty to add horns, or a claw over a hand.THis means the model can always be stripped back to the original.

symphonicpoet

This is definitely an interesting idea you have going on here. I've always thought it would be fun to do a combined cult with several patriarchs in different colors and different colored stealers to represent their differing offspring. (At present I have blue/pink, green, and purple. I have a few other more insect inspired patterns vaguely in the back of my head.) I love where you're going with this.

Bane

Love what you're doing here, the paint jobs are lush and the black backdrop and slightly dark photos really add to the ambience too!

Glad you're not adding top hats though.

urion

Thanks everyone. I am enjoying the genestealer cult more than I thought I would. The more I read about it and discovered that it was a true chaos cult the more it grew on me. I'm going to be getting in some hybrid arms for my two hybrids so I can start painting them next.

The blood effect is really cool. I have a Tzeentch genestealer cult on the way which parallels this quite spookily. The Lord of change is painted up but no patriarch as yet.

urion

Sounds cool. I'd love to see some pictures. Tzeentch is my second favorite chaos god, occasionally my first, it changes. ;)

urion

I present to you Madam Pepper Laveau aka Voodoo Pepper, High Priestess of the Brotherhood of the Laughing Father and her familiar "Jenkins".
qqbo6b.jpg

urion

Looks like I missed a post or it got deleted? I'll post it after this one. I finished my first purestrain genestealer. I decided to keep the Patriarch's color scheme instead of reverting to the normal scheme.
29n850i.jpg

urion

Apparently I've been painting so fast and furiously that I missed posting my first hybrid. So here he is in all his Nurglesque glory.
29aryc0.jpg

2ah767k.jpg

The purple skin splotches on the hybrid look REALLY good and I think you should add some to the purestrain you did. It will make the paint schemer more interesting. Your colour choises are great, but the purestrain does look a bit "boring". The splotches would really add a huge amount of fine detail to the overall effect, plus make it look more nurglesque. Plus they are not so hard to paint in.

Suber

You are certainly making the difference with this cult, I love the vibe and the aspect of all those. Damn nice!

urion

Thanks guys. I'm glad to hear you like the cult so far. As for the purestrain genestealers, I kind of want them to me more "plain". I think of them as kind of generic when it comes to the cult. They have no names and only speak telepathically so to me they have no real personality so I prefer the faded into the background while still having some presence within the cult. I prefer to concentrate more on the hybrids and other personalities in the group. That being said here is the second of my Goodwin hybrids. I will hopefully get to start painting my Olley hybrids on Monday. I suspect the arms I am getting will come on Monday. If they do I'll be starting on one for a hybrid paint contest.
2qs5mzd.jpg

Those skin spots look ace! I might give that a try myself one of these days. It's it pretty easy to achieve? Do you just dot on a few spots with paint & then apply an ink wash of the same colour in the general area around the spots?

Oh, and it's nice to see the Dark Tongue getting some use too :grin:

Cool freehand banner by the way. I can only dream of doing something like that in 2D :mrgreen:

urion

Thank you.
The skin spots are fairly easy. Probably the hardest part is making them subtle enough. Basically I get the part of the head wet and add dots of paint so the paint bleeds a little but not enough to turn into a wash. Then once that is dry I do a proper wash over the area. Its easier to do with oils because you can apply the dots then use a little thinner to make them fade since the paint doesn't dry as fast as acrylic.

urion

Here is the next hybrid. Just two more to go after this one. I've wanted to use this shuriken catapult for a long time.
25zp0zq.jpg

Back