Nurgle Warband project

urion

So, since finding this forum and discovering that there is still a community out there who appreciates the old ways I've gone oldhammer crazy. I've been scouring the web for Realm of Chaos minis and blogs. I've also been scouring my own collection for old minis. I've found a surprising number, primarily space orks since I got a huge number of them last year in an awesome purchase from one of the guys at my local game store. I, unfortunately, didn't find that many Fantasy Chaos miniatures, my favorite old minis. But what I did find I am going to start painting/repainting to make a Nurgle warband/army. So I thought I would start a WIP thread. The miniature I'm going to start with is a mini I painted in 2009ish. I originally cut off his mace and replaced it with the blade from the GD 2009 mini of Archaon on foot as well as giving him Archaon's shield. I found him today and took off the blade and shield and replaced them with a new blade and shield more in keeping with the feel of the model. I'll be priming him and repainting him in a more realistic "Jakob Rune Nielsen" style.

urion

Based and Primed.
2z7nzpe.jpg

King Arthur

Welcome to Oldhammer!!

I love Chaos, I have a huge pre slotta collection and am currently painting a 2nd Edition Chaos Army and I also have a 3rd Edition Nurgle Army (awaiting a paint job alas!), so will be watching this thread with interest :grin:

The model you have pictured was one of the first Chaos Warriors I ever painted when I was a youngster ;)

Cheers

Gary

urion

Thank you, I'm glad to hear it. I lost my job about two months ago so I'm hoping that once I find another job I can start buying/trading to get more chaos figures so I can build up an army. Hopefully I can find people that want space orks for chaos. Right now I only have 4 chaos warriors and some daemons.

urion

I finished the base and base coated the model in Reaper Master Series Dune Shadow then gloss coated it. Next I'll be adding oil washes.
2zpqber.jpg

By the way I am using a color pallet for my bases based on the artist Zdzisław Beksiński's work.

King Arthur

Now this is going to interesting ;) Rarely see people using Oil paints and the base and inspiration are great! Keep it coming!

urion

Oil washes are my new painting joy they are so amazingly subtle. I've actually finished the model now, but I am having a lot of difficulty photographing it. I've never had much luck making my minis look good in photos and right now all I have is my mobile phone to take pictures with. I will figure something out. I have converted a standard bearer and will start him and post pictures tomorrow.

ardyer

Agree with urion, I love oil washes. I've been trying to get Blue to try them but he's worried about the smell or something ;)

urion

It took me a while to try them out too. I've been painting for 26 years now and I just got oil paints this month. I bought odorless mineral spirits to use with them, mainly because they were cheap. I don't know if that was the right choice because the stuff is kind of thick, but it works pretty well, way better than acrylic washes.

urion

So I managed to get some batteries and take some pictures of my first chaos warrior of my Nurgle warband. Hope you like him.

urion

And, on to the next one. This will be the banner for the unit. Did a basecoat and a little work on the banner.

King Arthur

Fantastic! I love it! The Oil washes look sublime and soooooo smooth! I am a complete novice when it comes to oil paints, did you just buy some in a hobby/art store in the tube (sorry if that sounds stupid :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: )?

I like your individual stamp and pov on the colour palette, its refreshing to not see a Nurgle model painted in pure Green :grin:

Looking forward to the banners progress now :razz:

Cheers

Gary

urion

Not a stupid question at all. I bought them from an art store called Michaels. I bought a set of 12 for $5.00/€4,40. Each tube is 12ml, so plenty to last me a lifetime considering how little you use when doing washes.

I'm glad you like the colors. I am trying real hard to make them different from "normal" Nurgle. Part of what I love about the Realm of Chaos is the variety in color. Back then you could have rotting Slaanesh models, Tzeentch models with skull faces and any variety of other combinations and colors. Now people have just locked into a single set of color schemes for chaos worshipers, very boring.

I have high hopes for this banner. I just need to stick to my guns about what I'm going to do with it. I've decided to go with a renaissance style painting. I've even thought about doing a very realistic Mona Lisa in honor of John Blanches' minotaur with a Mona Lisa banner. I plan to make the whole thing like a banner that use to be a painting hanging in a rich manor. One idea I have is that the champion of the warband was once a baron with a hereditary disfigurement that led him into the secret worship of Nurgle. Eventually he is found out by the Order of Sigmar and forced to flee. One of his servants who flees with him manages to take the painting with them after breaking the frame and rolling it up. Later they create a banner with it.

Maybe something like this.

Their coming along nicely :)

I'm a fan of using oils too. I've only used them for weathering, but they worked a treat! They do take an age to dry though & then you've gotta seal them or they'll smudge. When it's all said and done, the results are worth it.

I can't wait to see your finished banner. I think if l attempted to paint someone's visage on a banner their face would end up looking like a half sucked asprin.

Kudos to you Urion 8-)

urion

I use a small hairdryer, that has a low setting, to dry the wash and it dries in less than a minute. After that I use an airbrush to apply a sealer. I'm done with the banner washes for now. I'll be going back again after the painting and dirty it up. The bearer needs a little more work. I have to paint his horns and hair and finish his chainmail.
2w56ow8.jpg

2h4am4j.jpg

Well done, I'll be watching this thread for sure:
I also have some oldie chaos warriors and was looking for some inspiration to get them finally paintslapped :)

urion

I'm glad to hear that. Hopefully this will give you some inspiration. I finished the initial painting on the banner. Now I just need to "Nurgle" it up.

Back