Az's Dwarf Army Blog (added a picture)

AZ88

I wasn't entirely sure which section this sort of thing should go in, but as this army is very much 'WIP' I guess this section will do.

With the arrival of Age of Sigmar, and its effect of splitting the Warhammer community, I've decided I need an army that can be used in all three of the games that my regular opponents will now be playing - these being AoS, Warhammer Fantasy Battles (various additions) and Kings of War. I'm not sure where my preference lies at the minute, so I want to keep my options open. There's no perfect solution, but I've decided to work round bases into square or rectangular movement trays as a compromise.

The army itself will be based around my defunct Dwarf army from about 20 years ago, which was based in Albion. It'll have a vaguely Gaelic feel to it, with tartan much in evidence, and be based around clans and guilds. Each unit will be a small diorama which will slot into a larger display board, depicting a battle between my Dwarfs and a Goblin army in the Oldhammer style that I'll be collecting in the future.

Currently on the production line are two units (each of 40 or so Dwarfs). The one closest to being finalised is my Brewers, where the composition is now about 90% done and I'm just waiting on an order for my last few models. The second is a bit further away, as I'm still waiting for over half the unit, but will be a Slayer unit. The composition is done, even without all the models, and I'm currently modelling the tray for the diorama. The unit will be centred around a slain Giant, with some of the Dwarfs having arrived just too late for the big fight and not looking at all happy about it.

I'm hoping each diorama will have at least two different elements to it, so there's more to the scene than initially meets the eye; but we'll see how it goes.

The models I'm going to use are from various manufacturers. There'll be plenty of old Citadel and Marauder minis, a lot of models from Black Tree Design (mostly the old Harlequin Dwarfs), some newer GW stuff, Ratnik, Fenryll, Battle Forge, Oathsworn, Scibor and many others. I had set myself a rule of having no model in the army twice, but I'm having a rethink on that due to just how much I love the Harlequin handgunners I got from Black Tree (despite my issues with the packing that I raised in the General section). Perhaps I will make do with a new rule of no two identical models, and do some converting.

Along with the unit dioramas there will be warmachines (Airships, Barrel-lobbing catapults etc), counts-as units (Dwarfs in steam-powered armour, bear riders, mechanical mining machines) and various characters to break-up the mass of infantry I have to get through.

As the army is at the very early stages, I've managed to get very little painting done. I injured a ligament in my knee over the weekend, when I had planned to get some proper work done on the project, and that along with family and work has limited me to getting the basic colours onto two slayers and undercoating a couple of dozen models. I will be making steady progress, though, and we'll see where we get to.

On the agenda for the rest of the year are:
"Welcome to the party" - A 40-strong unit for my Brewers' Guild.
"The bigger they are" - Another 40 strong unit, this time of slayers.
"Hold the line" - Again a 40-strong unit, this time defending a Rune Forge.
"The Whites of their eyes" - A unit of Thunderers, probably another 40 but not sure.
"The Bronwyn" - A small airship.
"Thunderwyrm" - A large cannon.

That'll probably fill all the time until Christmas, but there are dozens of other things I may get distracted by. I'm just uploading pictures and working through them at the minute, so I'll reserve a couple of posts after this one for photos and a running tally of completed (ha) projects. Comments and criticism on all this stuff will be welcome, and hopefully there'll be stuff to keep everyone interested.

AZ88

Re: Az's Dwarf Army Blog

Currently on the painting table:

z5obvd2.jpg

Left to right is a Marauder Dwarf with a spear, 10 Harlequin handgunners from Black Tree Design and a Gelvarden hangunner, also from BTD.

Back