Space Hulk Terminators (2nd edition)

Dreamfish

Administrator
I've been playing around with my new toy (airbrush) and I needed a project to practise on. A couple of years ago I bought the Space Hulk boxset (2nd edition). I figured Terminators and Genestealers would be the easiest miniatures to paint with an airbrush. Right now, I'm trying to paint a squad of Blood Angels Terminators. After three attempts this is what I got.

It's hard not to make them look like pumpkins, but that's just a color issue. Red isn't the easiest of colors to start with. The blendings are real nice and hard to capture on the picture. The right shoulder pad of the last picture has a good representation of the actual color. I also gave it an oil wash of Burned Umber and sealed it with Testors Dull Coat. You should really try the oil wash, magical stuff.

Attachments

• 20130624_231437.jpg
    20130624_231437.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 3,710
  • 20130624_231522.jpg
    20130624_231522.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 3,710

ardyer

Citadel Collector":2q4ixp38 said:
How does the oil wash compare/differ to Citadel washes?

It's a lot easier to feather/blend because it takes much longer to dry and can be "re-wet" with the appropriate thinner. But, that same thinner can mess up you previous coats. And taking longer to dry isn't always good. Brush cleanup is more difficult and turpentine smells, too.

Dreamfish

Administrator
You have to seal your miniature with a gloss coat before applying the oil wash; otherwise the thinner eats through your paint. It takes longer for the thinner to reach the underlying color with a gloss coat applied. By the time it reaches the underlying color the thinner should have dried up already. So far, I experienced no problems with White Spirit. It takes about 15 - 20 minutes to dry, after which you seal it again and continue painting with acrylics.

I really like how the oil wash easlily flows in all the crevices. It also seems to have a smoother transition between the underlying color.

The clean-up is a bit messy either with oil or acrylics washes. I'm currently using cotton buds to clean the large surface parts, but they tend to ravel and leave little pieces of cotton behind. Maybe it's the quality of the cotton buds I'm using. Still looking for a good alternative.

I'm using an oil brush and a platic palette wrapped in aluminium foil. I fill two wells with White Thinner, one mixed with the oil paint and the other without. After applying the oil wash I use the unmixed thinner to clean-up the miniature and brush. When done I soak up the remaining thinner with kitchen paper.

Mutantdale

Dreamfish":17m145gp said:
You have to seal your miniature with a gloss coat before applying the oil wash; otherwise the thinner eats through your paint. It takes longer for the thinner to reach the underlying color with a gloss coat applied. By the time it reaches the underlying color the thinner should have dried up already. So far, I experienced no problems with White Spirit. It takes about 15 - 20 minutes to dry, after which you seal it again and continue painting with acrylics.

I really like how the oil wash easlily flows in all the crevices. It also seems to have a smoother transition between the underlying color.

The clean-up is a bit messy either with oil or acrylics washes. I'm currently using cotton buds to clean the large surface parts, but they tend to ravel and leave little pieces of cotton behind. Maybe it's the quality of the cotton buds I'm using. Still looking for a good alternative.

I'm using an oil brush and a platic palette wrapped in aluminium foil. I fill two wells with White Thinner, one mixed with the oil paint and the other without. After applying the oil wash I use the unmixed thinner to clean-up the miniature and brush. When done I soak up the remaining thinner with kitchen paper.

That's a lot of love for a hideous plastic mini :grin:

Looking forward to updates though..

MD

Dreamfish

Administrator
Currently working on the bases and just did a little test. Do you think it's a bit too dark?

Attachments

• 2013-08-21 21.06.10.jpg
    2013-08-21 21.06.10.jpg
    597 KB · Views: 3,520

Dreamfish

Administrator
Thanks for the feedback, I feel much better about it. I'm going to try another one and see how that turns out.

Dreamfish

Administrator
I just finished another 4 bases, that makes 5 in total. This time I gave the yellow some highlights, but in the end it turned out the same as the first one.

First sprayed the bases with black. Taped the lines with tape and sprayed with white. Repainted the black parts and corrected some of the lines. Painted the white lines yellow. Painted the black parts with bolt gun metal. Washed the base with "Vallejo Model Wash for Rust Effects" and applied some green wash, umber shade wash, and fleshtone wash and red wash.

I also splattered some black ink on the bases by using a toothbrush.

DSC_1150.JPG

Asslessman

Very good looking, love the grim and dark aspect (far better than the more brighter one to me) and thanks for the how-to !

Dreamfish

Administrator
Thank you, I was hoping that painting the bases would reignite my drive to finished those extremely boring Terminators and guess what, it actually did. I'm now determined to finish them. I also ordered some Blood Angels tranfers and banners from ebay, to make them just like how they're depicted in the Space Hulk rulebook.

Yesterday, I did a little airbrush experiment on the power sword of the sargeant. I made a gradient from dark blue to white. It came out really nice. I'll post some pictures as soon as it's finished.

Asslessman

Good, I love when the mojo comes back unexpectedly like that ! Too bad you ordered the transfers, I think I could have helped you on this, I'll add them to the trade list...

Back