Space Hulk Terminators (2nd edition)

Dreamfish

Administrator
I'm not sure if the same applies to acrylic paint, but just like when painting windows frames, always remove the tape while the paint is still wet. Although, I don't think painting the shade/highlight with the tape still attached would be any easier. The thing is, paint still gets underneath the tape, especially when using a brush. You have to work quick, because the tape will lose its grip after a while. I used normal painters tape. I believe the results can be improved with better tape quality.

The best part with this method is the precision in determining the position of the lines. You can see that the lines on all fists are similiar in direction and position. This is much harder to achieve when painting freehand, I think.

Asslessman

Funny you say that, althought I would definitely remove tape when paint is wet for window frames I would have made the mistake on models (too afraid to put yellow on my black).
What you say about the positoin and direction, I didn't think about it before but it makles perfect sense and will surely help in the unit coherence.
God I should have a notebook nearby when I read your posts ! ;)

Dreamfish

Administrator
Progress, yet again. Corrected the lines and highlighted the yellow and black on the power fists. Silver parts painted with Boltgun Metal and washed two times with Diluted Umber Wash (1:2) mixed with Fleshtone Shade Wash (1:1). Skulls painted with Bleached Bone and washed three times with Diluted Sepia Shade Wash (1:3).

WVHaOH8m

Just John

Looking good DF. Do you find a hassle having to clean the airbrush after each session. Is there much cleaning between colours?

Dreamfish

Administrator
Just John":1jye3psn said:
Looking good DF. Do you find a hassle having to clean the airbrush after each session. Is there much cleaning between colours?
No not really. It takes about 3 minutes to fully clean the airbrush. I use Vallejo Airbrush Cleaner to clean it. You really need a good cleaner, otherwise it's going to be a real hassle to remove the paint. Water alone won't do the trick. A cleaning pot to spray in also comes in handy.

Dreamfish

Administrator
A whole day alone on a rainy sunday. What a perfect day to paint. Enough time to finish the Ultra Marine Squad. The transfers didn't work out. The shoulder and knie pads were simple to round for the transfers to stick to. They ended up all folded and horrible. No wonder the Eavy Metal painters painted them on. They look a bit virgin without the emblems of the chapter. Just don't feel like ruining them with my free hand capabilities, especially when it concerns white paint. Might aurbrush them on when I've figured out a proper solution for it.

@Mutantdale, well there she hangs. Thanks again for you kindness.

kZXuYuNn

RyzYnZ67

Mutantdale

Great to see these guys done. They look awesome.
I know what you mean about the transfers I always put a slice through a clear section so they curved better but Freeland ended up less hassle.

Nice to see the banner go to a good home. It's been in a bag with the rest since I bought the ultramarine army box in the 90s.. army is long gone now :(

MD

Asslessman

Dreamfish, please sit down, open up a good beer and just watch these.

YOU did it.

Making such models look THIS good is not something everyone can achieve. Now I believe there are some genestealers knocking at your door wanting the same attention...
I undertsand better now why you've kept the airbrush till the end. it gives the same vibrance (if you see what I mean) to all parts and links them really nice. I have to say there's quite a lot to learn from this thread.

tancrede

Cool minis, but seeing them just beside the Blood Angels makes me say they lacks something that makes them pop up...
It may be some white freehands and/or symbols, but I think they look less finished than the BA (maybe the yellow winged skull on the chest : the look as they were less highlighted on the Ultramarines than on the Blood Angels).

Otherwise, you have achieved a very good painting using mainly your airbrush.

Dreamfish

Administrator
tancrede":38hvp2hb said:
Cool minis, but seeing them just beside the Blood Angels makes me say they lacks something that makes them pop up...
It may be some white freehands and/or symbols, but I think they look less finished than the BA (maybe the yellow winged skull on the chest : the look as they were less highlighted on the Ultramarines than on the Blood Angels).

Otherwise, you have achieved a very good painting using mainly your airbrush.
You're right, they definitely lack the freehand symbols. I like the overall look of the BA more than the UM, but the airbrush work of the UM is better.

I was silently hoping nobody would mention that. The winged skulls are horribly sculped. They should have been painted in the same color as the skulls, but somehow I painted them red. I used the most horrible orange ever. It had absolutely no coverage, dried quickly and ruined all what was left of what little details the winged skull had. I really tried to make the best out of it.

Asslessman":38hvp2hb said:
Dreamfish, please sit down, open up a good beer and just watch these.

YOU did it.

Making such models look THIS good is not something everyone can achieve. Now I believe there are some genestealers knocking at your door wanting the same attention...
I undertsand better now why you've kept the airbrush till the end. it gives the same vibrance (if you see what I mean) to all parts and links them really nice. I have to say there's quite a lot to learn from this thread.
:grin: I'm looking at them right now, but without any beer or should I say lager :(

The genestealers are not knocking at the door, but scratching the inside of the bottle filled with simple green. I've got 20 of them waiting to be assembled and painted. I'm not going to give them the same attention. I'm thinking about using a combination of airbrush, drybrush and washes. It has to be done quickly.

I'm not sure if it's going to be the next project. I'm currently thinking of another airbrush project - cockatrice style. I think I'm ready.

mbh

mid level budget

I'm really only interested if I think it will speed my painting up. I would love to finish more stuff.

ardyer

mbh":3m6fs8fy said:
mid level budget

I'm really only interested if I think it will speed my painting up. I would love to finish more stuff.

Define mid range. If you're in the USA, I cab direct you to a good compressor that has a tank and I'd plenty quiet for about $100. You can score a decent dual action, internal mix brush for about $30, but it might not handle fine work. Priming, basing, etc would be fine though. Or you can spend a lot more ;)

The problem with getting into airbrushing is that you really want a compressor. Air cans suck.

ardyer

mbh":ll31lnj5 said:
I have a big one right now for a nail gun. Can I use that with a regulator?

You need to add at least one moisture trap and probably need some adapters to get an airbrush hose on there.

Back