Old school in a new school way (AOS)

Dooz

That's right, Age of Sigmar! Shocking...
Amongst my unfinished projects lies a small undead 'army' I never got around to.
1: to few miniatures to actually make an wfb army
2: none of my friends actually play wfb

So when a couple of my friends start talking about buying the age of Sigmar game, and gw releasing free wars rolls for old armies. I see this as an opportunity to make something of my miniatures. the force will consist of 70 skeletons, 6 horsearchers, 2 chariots, plague cart and various hero types. Anyway enough intro, more pictures:

And the vip board:

Dooz

Managed to get 3 models finished last evening. Painted years ago, just a slight refresh on some of the colours and basing.

Dooz

Just got my shipment of bases from em4.

Some my say blasphemy to this, cavalry on round bases! But I kinda like this visually

Anyone know of a place where I can get larger lipped bases?

Fimm McCool

Good base choice! I love those. Nice looking force too, don't know how it works in AoS but everything seems to be warband sized, is your force quite big by AoS standards?

Dooz

Don't really know how it works in AOS either :) only read the rules and those war scrolls. From what I gather you just field what you want/have/feel like. Haven't tried the rules yet, but this new version just motivated me to do something with my smallish undead force that would probably never become a wfb army.

Grumdril

Looking good. Although I must confess I had a bit of a mental disconnect with the round bases! :o

The good thing about AoS (it seems to me) is that it can handle "large warband" numbers of figures. Quite a nice stepping stone from small warband to 3rd ed I'd have thought.

Paul / Grumdril

Nice re-vamp of some of your older minis - certainly be interested to see how you get on with AoS.

I've been putting most of my minis new and old onto round bases since I returned to the hobby last year.

Asslessman

After seeing Goblin Lee's goblins and gnomes on round lipped bases, i've finally grown accustomed to them and I think the humble skellie horse and rider find another dynamic like this, playing this game with good ol' fashioned models has a very strong appeal.

zoggin-eck

Ew! I can't stand lipped bases. I do, however, like your models and painting!

I'm sure it's obvious, but what is the large weapon/shoeless model at the back of the first photo?

Dooz

Just returned from 3 weeks vacation, time to get active again. Had a productive day today

Managed to paint 10 skeletons and 4 horsearchers today. Missing bases for the horses obviously. And shields for the skeletons.

About that shoeless, weaponless thingie. I have no idea about what it is. Seems undead-like. I bought it some 15-18 years ago to count as a mummy for an undead blood bowl team

Very cool, and a nice looking army to boot.
I've always put my Heroquest/Dungeon Crawling minis on round bases so I don't find it too strange.

Scalene

I can't get used to round bases. I just based last year's BOYL goblin on a 20mm square. In my head, that's just correct, and I can't shift it. Anything I do for mordheim gets a wfb base too.

Dooz

personal taste is personal, and you're entitled to have that. I'll go as far as to call it understandable :) you probably grew up thinking that fantasy miniatures are supposed to be mounted on square bases
None of my friends play whfb (any edition) so last time i played was probably around '95. So when this 'new edition' appeared I saw an opportunity to make something of my miniatures.
Of course I could have chosen to stick to the original square bases, but I just like round ones better(can't really explain why, just looks better to me)

Dooz

Just a small Update. The disorganized mob grows

now I ran out of both bases and materials for the bases... Waiting for new shipment.

riot

That force is coming on a storm!

AoS is fine to play with but it's more 'get stuck in!' then the versions before.

My gaming group played a 'tale of 4 gamers' campaign last year (8th edition) and started at 750 points and topped out at 1500 points. My Empire 750 point army topped out at 14 figures. My 1000 point Empire Army is 20 figures!

We had some quality, knife edged games.

The key is to agree amoungst your selves that no one is going to be a D*&% and play through the campaign with the forces you have chosen.

I am just glad AoS has breathed life into old warbands and allowed them an opportunity to get one more run out onto the field of battle.

Dooz

I might not even get to play much. But the motivatino came nonetheless. Now i eagerly await my order with reinforcements from ral-partha, nothing too big. Just a standard bearer and some champion type skeletons and a old masterpiece from Tom Meier

Asslessman

This looks good, I mean really good. Be it for AoS or for some V1/V2 skirmish, this is right.

DId I say I love those ? I do.

Bane

That looks like a very cool and cohesive force and I have to admit to a re-awakened love of round bases for fantasy miniatures, so I'll be using your force as inspiration for my own dungeon-dwelling undead. I'm more into warbands than armies these days too and AoS seems to be a great vehicle for me to play with them.

Dooz

Got the first of my necromancers painted

Now I just need to make his base...

And the current paintqueue

Ordered more bases(30 and 50mm lipped) still searching for a different supplier of 80mm lipped plastic in europe(not so fond of wayland games)

Back