RoC creations - banner bearer 28/09

Mister Rab

Over the last couple of evenings I've been playing around with some conversion for the first time (apart from the beak on my evil swan for the knight project). It started as something to do to get me past a dry patch in painting, but I've got really into it and am fairly pleased for a first go. It helped that I'd accumulated some interesting bits!

This is how I started...

19551038575_cb772ba8fa_z.jpg

And then with the putty applied...

19362908080_de71db717e_z.jpg

19550845295_ce397a765f_z.jpg

The image from the back makes the wings look really oddly placed, but I think that's because of the asymmetric pose of the wings, rather than where I've attached them. :?

It's now drying in its undercoat while I'm at work, but I'll add an ink-washed version later to pick out the details. If you haven't already had a go, can you identify the four models I used?

Jeff McC

Re: RoC creations

He's fun! I think the asymmetric wings work nicely with the asymmetric arms. Looking forward to seeing him in the paint.

Mister Rab

Thanks, chaps, here he is with an ink-wash:

2015-07-09%2B19.21.36.jpg

I've started laying on the basecoats, taking inspiration from the classic colour palette from Dale Hurst's Tzeentch warband in WD135:

Spawn%2BWD135.jpg

Not bad, mbh - all correct! The wings are from the old Grenadier dragon mounts which I haven't been able to find in a catalogue but am glad I snapped a pair up when axiom was having a clear-out 8-)

Mister Rab

Thanks, fellas :grin:

I'll stick up a WIP of the colouring-in tomorrow, after I've finished celebrating the cricket score 8-)

Mister Rab

So, here's where I'm up to:

19468473699_f5094a345b_z.jpg

I'm fairly pleased with it (it was an interesting change using such a strong colour for the skin), but you'll notice that there are a few bits that are still unpainted: glove spike, knee-pad, knee bandage and ankle chain. I think the ankle chain will be the same dirty brassy-gold as the pauldron, but I'm stumped with what to do with the other bits. Suggestions please!

Jeff McC

Very nice work so far!
I think working in the yellow/gold family is probably the way to go. It's in keeping with the warband that was your source of inspiration, and will provide a strong contrast with the purple while harmonizing with the blue.

Mister Rab

And here he is, in all his pastel-shaded ingloriousness, Spiderwrack Warpmire, being the common tongue rendering of his true name (Fleo-uu'iluleu'uabl) as discovered through careful study of the tome of the Lost and the Damned...

19526696799_a30602bcef_c.jpg

Next on the list of chopping-things-up are some chaos centaurs whose progress stalled because I wasn't happy with the joins between man and horse. However, I now have a cunning plan involving oyumaru (sp?)...

Mister Rab

Thanks, weismonsters :) I'm glad I went with the spider head rather than the blindfolded ogre head that was also rattling around the bits box!

Back