Encyclopaedia Warhammica! Full set page 3

Zhu Bajie

Re: Encyclopaedia Warhammica! WIP

Argh, no, no, no latex isn't right, if you want faux leather go polypropylene or polyester, you don't want nasty volatile .

Nice marbled endpapers, did you do those yourself or buy them in?

£800? next 'free listings weekend' stick them on for £900. I can think of a handful of people who have the money and might have the inclination, you never know :grin: Plus you get to do all that sewing again for your own copies!

BTW what do you reckon to these:

RoC StD "exclusive edition"

RoC LatD "exclusive edition"

Haven't asked the seller regards the provenance, but they look like pro re-casing / binding job rather than something issued by GW to me.

Fimm McCool

Zhu Bajie":3fjy8dri said:
BTW what do you reckon to these:

RoC StD "exclusive edition"

RoC LatD "exclusive edition"

Haven't asked the seller regards the provenance, but they look like pro re-casing / binding job rather than something issued by GW to me.

There's a hardbacked LatD which was presented to Bryan as a Christmas present from the studio, so they could be legit. But that didn't have a pictorial cover. I reckon those are rebindings, most likely by a 'thesis-binder' based on the style. They'd simply be the text blocks from the original with glue slapped on the spine and new covers added. Lost and the Damned has pretty shoddy binding which is what's preventing me from binding together my Realm of Chaos books. Slaves to Darkness has proper, sewn gathers that would be easy to rebind, whereas LatD has loose pages stuck into a wodge of glue and would need dissecting and gluing into gathers as I id for Armies and the 3rd Ed Rulebook. Then is you put it with an already-gathered StD the spine would pull off-centre since one half of the book would be much thicker due to all the extra paper glued down the spine. it just wouldn't look right.

Fimm McCool

Having looked again, the pages look very clean, so if it IS a rebind it happened long before the books fell apart of their own accord. Maybe they are original after all.

Oh, and marbled paper. Yes, nice eh? Not my job but they are hand-marbled. Not every edition is getting them since I used almost an entire sheet on this one book and it cost me £8. But this one's special. ;)

Zhu Bajie

Perhaps cutting StDs folios, re-gluing or oversewing? Also IIRC there were 2 editions of StD, haven't checked but that might use the same crap binding as LatD, so you might be able to obtain a copy in a state that makes rebinding a saviour. Would be a shame to have an incomplete se, but RoC does rightly stand on it's own outside of 3rd.

It's hard to see if those "exclusive editions" have been rebound or simply re-cased. The foil embossing on the spine of LaTD is really odd as well, but he doesn't show StD. Even these artifacts were a one-off gift to BA then labeling it as an "edition" seems weird - which would imply there were more than one. Gamers do the funniest things.

Fimm McCool

As I pick up this project again ("at last!" they say, but I have not been completely idle) I realise I didn't update this thread with the last of the step-by-step articles I did. I should have re-read them myself as I forgot a step when binding the 6th rulebook last week. Never mind, it worked OK in the end. Here are the missing bits:

http://fimmmccools.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/collected-warhammer-volumes-part-6-step.html
http://fimmmccools.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/collected-warhammer-volumes-part-7-step.html

Might actually do the last stages whilst I'm working on the last few volumes!

Fimm McCool

16487727_10154823418232279_3178279759923245054_o.jpg

Ta daaa! It's done! Crappy pictures from my phone last night, better pics and last part of the tutorial to follow. For now, join me in celebrating the moment. :)

symphonicpoet

A couple of those tomes appear to have dangerous mutated growths emanating from their spines. Do those pertain to . . . the darker and more chaotic arts? Very well done! Lovely! :)

Fimm McCool

symphonicpoet":31do2ybt said:
A couple of those tomes appear to have dangerous mutated growths emanating from their spines. Do those pertain to . . . the darker and more chaotic arts? Very well done! Lovely! :)

Weird how those are the two volumes marked 'Chaos' eh? ;)

Breakdown of volumes:

1- 'Forehammer': First Edition rules, Forces of Fantasy and the Citadel Compendiums
2- 'Plothammer': Second Edition rules, Ravening Hordes, The Riding, Terror of the Lichemaster, McDeath, Orcs' Drift, the Citadel Journals
3- 'Oldhammer': Third Edition rules, Armies
4- 'Redhammer': Fourth Edition rules, Chronicles of War, Battle Magic, Arcane Magic
4a- 'Chaos': Fourth Edition Armies Books
4b- 'Order': Fourth Edition Armies Books
5- 'Herohammer': Fifth Edition rules, Siege, Magic, Tears of Isha, Grudge of Drong, Idol of Gork, Perilous Quest, Circle of Blood
5a- 'Armies': Fifth Edition Armies Books
6- 'Corehammer': Sixth Edition rules, Ravening Hordes, The General's Compendium, The Citadel Annuals and Chronicles, Skirmish
6a- 'Chaos': Sixth Edition Armies Books
6b- 'Order': Sixth Edition Armies Books
7- 'Hordehammer': Seventh Edition rules, 8th Edition rules, Skull Pass, Island of Blood, Nemesis Crown
7a- 'Hordes': Seventh Edition Armies Books
Appendix 1- 'Quest': Heroquest, Advanced Heroquest, Terror in the Dark, Mordheim
Appendix 2- 'Campaign': Man 'o' War, Mighty Empires, Battle Masters, Warmaster, Dreadfleet

I've definitely left some things out, but that's the general gist. I do have the Realm of Chaos, Siege, Tamurkhan, Monstrous Arcanum, Storm of Chaos and some 8th Ed Armies Books too, but they're nicely bound to begin with so I didn't feel the need to cut them apart, even to make them match. I may do with the 8th Armies Books when I manage to get them all together.

Fimm McCool

Plaiecivile":1ajvw9xe said:
Now the question is, what is your price? ;)

I had considered this. Depending on whether the pages have to be glued into gathers, what the covers and endpages are and how thick the books are I would have to charge £500-800 a volume going on my usual freelance rate. A bit pricey is the answer. ;)

Plaiecivile

A bit pricey indeed, but I fancy a tome with all chaos army books from 4th through 8th edition. I'll get back to you once I'm done with my mortgage!
That would deserve goat leather... :lol:

Fimm McCool

A good number of the Armies Books are thread sewn, which makes them quicker and easier to bind. Unfortunately that then gives you a problem where you're mixing some that are sewn and some that are perfect bound, causing spine width issues. I am about to post the final section of the 'how-to' guide on my blog so you can give it a go yourself. It's really not that hard, just very time-consuming.

Fimm McCool

symphonicpoet":1hlklwf0 said:
Any plans for a 40,000th edition?

Nope. I never liked the 40k setting as much as the fantasy so it doesn't have the same personal connection. Also, dark age of technology notwithstanding, a leather-bound set of 40k stuff doesn't seem quite right. Maybe in genuine codex form, but digital copy still seems more appropriate. Stored in a super-secret archive only accessible to the pure of course.

symphonicpoet

Valid arguments all, the first being perhaps the most compelling of all. Hard to craft such beauty without your heart drawing you to it. . . . And it is a thing of beauty you've made.

Back