Encyclopaedia Warhammica! Full set page 3

Fimm McCool

Thanks to everyone who's supported my collecting the entire published works of GW relating to Warhammer from 1st through 8th edition. Here's a first blog post showing you where I've got with the project so far:

http://fimmmccools.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/a-binding-agreement-collected-warhammer.html

DSCF2159.JPG

The plan is to bind (so far 11 volumes) everything as a matching and leather-bound set including the stand alone games set in the Warhammer world.

P.S. Still looking for the General's Compendium, Sea of Blood and Warhammer Chronicles 2004; if anyone has a spare let me know. :)

Fimm McCool

Re: Encyclopaedia Warhammica! WIP

So it looks like even volume 3 is not going to be done for BOYL... but no matter. It'll be done by next year for sure! Volumes 1 and 2 are also collated and stitched now, ready for gluing.

Fimm McCool

Funny you should say that... whilst still waiting for a session to add the spine to volume 3 I have gathered and sewn volume 1 and gathered volume 2...

DSCF2171.JPG

Just John

This is simply quite Amazing. Can't wait to see the finished product. Bound in human skin I hope! Can't be harming any little animals now.

zoggin-eck

Sorry mate, I laughed when I saw you mention the General's Compendium. The only part of your project where it isn't novel to see it re-bound! I'm pretty sure every copy fell apart in some way. :grin:

Fimm McCool

The General's compendium (not the Citadel Compendiums which are in the first volume) is just pages shoved into a glued spine. Every other book since 4th is in sewn gathers, why on earth did they revert to inferior binding for the compendium? Price? Or maybe the fact that it was a US publication? Not sure if gathered binding is less common in the states?

Just John

My copy if the Generals Compendium is in perfect nick. Just thought I'd say that 8-)

Fimm McCool

Was at the bookbinder's yesterday and put the leather spine on volume 3. Sadly it had to go back in the press so I was only able to grab this photo on my phone:

safe_image.php

Whenever I learn something new I have to repeat the process again very soon after or I forget it, so today I put the leather spine on volume 2, which you may have seen at BOYL (it now has an original Fleshound Shield courtesy of Tony Ackland and a suit of Chaos Armour from Tony Yates in, wohoo!). More pics and a blog post when I get my act together.

Fimm McCool

You have:

Leather
Paper
PVA Glue
Scalpels
Steel rulers
Thread
Needles

Then you can do it!
There will be an in-depth look at the process on my blog soon. :)

urion

But I don't have a book press or big clamps, which ARE expensive. Nor do I have the work area to do the binding. I've actually wanted to make a book before and looked into it extensively. It's not easy or cheap to make a book like the one you've made. Also leather is not that easy to find.

Fimm McCool

I use two normal sized G Clamps and two slightly larger than A4 pieces of 18mm MDF as my book press. I got the leather from the local Scrapstore, you may not have one but have a word with upholstery companies. Upholstery Leather is thicker than normal Bookbinding Leather, but I've used it successfully on the other 4 volumes I've done so far. I use a desk space about A2 size to do most of the work but I grant you I take advantage of larger workbenches with set vices at work to glue up. That's just for ease of holding the book upright though, an A2-sized space and a couple of heavy objects either side of the 'press' would do just as well.

urion

I may try again one day. I've always been short on funds for the projects I want to do. I think I just need to find stable income before I try to do a big project. I always have to start and stop because I run out of money for the project. Thank you for the advice though. You books look amazing.

Zhu Bajie

You can also use cloth or buckrum if animal skins are too difficult, expensive or not your thing.

I miss not having access to a proper book press.

Looks supurb Fimm! Now stick each volume on eBay with a BiN of £500 :)

Fimm McCool

Zhu Bajie":1smmuxjv said:
Looks supurb Fimm! Now stick each volume on eBay with a BiN of £500 :)

I think not... not yet anyhow. £800 and we might be talking. ;)

Zhu Bajie":1smmuxjv said:
You can also use cloth or buckrum if animal skins are too difficult, expensive or not your thing.

A heavy-duty calico with latex sponged on gives quite a good leather approximation if you stipple the right mix of browns into it. We used to use it making 'leather armour' for the stage. Not tried it in binding though so no guarantee. Also, latex degrades after about 10 years (depending on storage conditions) so it may not be the long-term solution.

Back