What do you think of these boars?

Thantsants

You've got it all wrong - this is the pinnacle of Lion King inspired GW sculpting...

... the amazingly stupid looking and stupidly named Razorgor. Another topic/rant I know but when did Beastmen become known as Gors with various stupid prefixes like Tusk or Besti added to name the various types? :mad:

Zhu - I like the idea of using Mammoth or other prehistoric beaties instead of boars - shame my old dinosaur books didn't use the same human model for scale :lol:

Some good stuff here. Don't think this has been released yet but looks a bit tasty!

I know these are a bit newfangled and plastic but what do folk make of these boars?

As for the original options - I do like the old Citadel boars and I think you could just about get away with it although the riders look a little largish. The Otherworld boars look great too.

Blue in VT

thanks for your input Thantsants....I actually kind of like that last GW boar you posted....perhaps a better option? I'll see if I can find a few on ebay for a song and see how they look. they are certainly an improvement over the 4th ed ones.

Cheers,

Blue

Naagruz

The Kev Adams boars from the gruntas/snortas packs work really well. ;)

I'm still not sure what animal the 4th plastics are supposed to be...

mbh

I use the Schleich warthog piglets for my beastman army. They are pretty plain and need a lot of work though.

Erny

Get yourself some spear armed citadel orcs to put on those lovely old citadel boars.

If you really hate the plastic boars, they are crap but have a certain charm to me, why not get soem BT design savage orc boar riders, ditch the riders and use the boars which although a bit rough fit in with the style of those 4th ed savage boys very nicely.
fa0218.jpg

Personally I'd just use the plastic boars.

Fimm McCool":1hye65ai said:
Thantsants":1hye65ai said:
I know these are a bit newfangled and plastic but what do folk make of these boars?

Yuck. 'Nuff said. :grin:

I dont think these look too bad in the flesh. I often find the pics in White Dwarf are a bit of a turn off, but when I see the figures in real life they look better.

sirrah

I honestly don't think he looks too bad on the old metal boar. It's a bit small, but if you want to strike an imposing figure you shouldn't ride a pig into battle.

Just John

I think it looks wrong - his legs dangle too much.

As a side note as far as I know it was the Great Goblins who originally were the boar riders (in WHFB 1st edition) and the orcs were wolf riders. I wonder why they changed it.

Zhu Bajie

2nd Edition also has Boars domesticated by Goblins and Wolves as ridden by both Orcs and Goblins...

AD&D 1E Monster Manual doesn't mention mounted Orcs, but has Goblin/Wolf pairing, but interestingly does mention Boars guarding Kobold lairs.

Back