What do you think of these boars?

Blue in VT

Howdy all,

In my efforts to add to my Greenskins forces I have become enmaoured with the 4th edition savage Orc sculpts by the Perry Brothers...and have now managed to tack most of them down.  My most recent addition are copies of all 5 boar boy sculpts....and they are just as full of character as the infantry models....except for one thing....

....those god awful things that GW tried to pawn off on us as "boars" in the this time period....Christ they are horrible!  My 5yo actually asked "what is that daddy?" When I pulled one out of the box....when I responded "it's a boar". She said "no it's not.....that's a boar" and pointed to one of my marauder boar riders....

....so I decided to try and mount them on some spare 3rd edition boars.  And I need to know if you think they work.  Here is one of the rank and file troops...with the abomination in the back ground

CCB283B6-FDD5-4E8B-9461-39D56AD8AD0E-1404-000002180A0318C7_zps4078b7d5.jpg

As you can see orcs have grown quite a bit in 4th Ed....but I think this works for me...I had to bend his legs in a bit...and I may need to GS a few gaps around the saddle...but it works.

...where it gets. Bit dodger is with the champion...who is even bigger

776770DC-B2D2-4017-A44D-BDE6BA062C91-1404-0000021817425746_zps3d376e28.jpg

From the front

CA64E942-968D-4E77-ADFF-77BEC7E090A2-1404-000002181EFE58CF_zps2958055b.jpg

Maybe his pig could be bulked out a bit with some shrunken heads and other spoils of war?

Here is the unit

6A8BB3D2-6AB7-46AE-82F1-CBA003FB9F17-1404-0000021825664232_zps898f14b0.jpg

What do you think?  Can you suggest other boar options?

Cheers,

Blue

Chico

Ugh get them lovely 4th ed sculpts off those little Marauder Boar's, I hate those old Marauder Boars and quite like the plastic ones. They paint up quite nicly.

Mutantdale

And there was me thinking get those ugly orcs of those great boars...

They don't look to bad. A bit of scale creep there but not much you can do. I think the main problem with the plastic boars are the ugly heads..

MD

bug16

Hmm.. I'm really not sure. They might look like a better fit once painted? Either way they can't be worse than those bloody horrible plastic boars!

Blue in VT

Chico":8y2efdgu said:
Ugh get them lovely 4th ed sculpts off those little Marauder Boar's, I hate those old Marauder Boars and quite like the plastic ones. They paint up quite nicly.

Come come now...I will tolerate no marauder hating in my own thread...plus these arent even marauder boars...they are classic citadel sculpts

As seen here: http://www.solegends.com/citcat1988/0509orcs-01.htm

And personally I think the marauder boars are the best of the bunch...these are a bit warthog for me but work withe the 80s sculpts...that's why I thought they would make good mount for Savage orcs.

Besides...tell me these boars look bad!

BlueInVTRound3Sterile.jpg

Cheers,

Chico

Heh those boar's look bad, even with your super fantastic paint jobs :) . I just have a soft spot for the fat plastic Bacon's as i just had to paint up 10 of them myself :)

Next your'll tell me you like this 40k Boar:

$(KGrHqN,!q8FDvI,U-EpBRI!EUn-Vw~~60_35.JPG

If you do, then i have one for sale hehe

Cheers
Chico

Blue in VT

Hahaha...we may disagree about traditional boars...but on the Cyboar (?) we can agree....worst boar ever!

Cheers,

Blue

I think they look good Blue, looking forward to seeing some paint on them. =)

The size difference also makes them look for "orcy" in my opinion.

Fimm McCool

I kinda like the fat piggy plastic boars, but then the 4th ed boarboy boss was my first ever blister pack purchase so it has sentimental value to me! That said, I quite like the way the orcs are a bit big for the boars, it make me imagine the hulking greenskins trying to urge on their poor, overworked beasts of burden! Both boars are preferable to the current digitally-sculpted rubbish (far too smooth in the hair department!), but I think the Mantic ones are my favourite.

Zhu Bajie

The combo you've got isn't working for me, the boar is too small for my liking, or the riders look a bit big, not sure, either way the poses aren't helping, if they were leaning forward, balance shifted, maybe.

Those plastic boars are a joke.

Some guy on LAF had the same thought as me - Schleich warthog piglet (not an adult one):

razorscale.jpg

might be a bit big, and lacks character, perhaps adding some skullz, baggage or whatnot.

yeah and otherworld boars:

GiantBoars2paint1.jpg

with orcs, which might help with scale..

PFOrcBoarRiderWarbandPaint1.jpg

Fimm McCool

Those aren't orcs, they're Gamorreans! Schleich stuff is nice but really expensive, the otherworld boars are interesting, but the one on the right makes me think he's about to huff and puff and blow that house down!

Grumdril

I'd say the 4th ed orcs are too big for the 3rd ed boars. Which is reassuring, as I nearly bought some of the former the other day! The plastic boar is just odd, to say nothing for the moulding around the ears. I think you should go for 3rd ed, or something completely different.

Not sure what though - the Otherworld boars are too pig-like (not really WFB-y), and the Mantic boars are quite cool but personally I don't like the riders (the head / necks are just wrong).

Bit of a pain all round really.

The more I hunt around for figures now that this insideous board has got the bug into me, the more I think that actually Citadel in the late 80s was remarkably good, it's not just nostalgia speaking. Or maybe they've got into my head such that I can't like stuff like the Mantic figures (which are really rather good actually). :(

Fimm McCool

I agree about the mantic riders, but the boars might fit well with 4th ed orcs. You could always take a soldering iron to the plastic 4th ed boars and rough them up a bit. Or even the modern boars if you don't loathe the heads too much!

Zhu Bajie

Fimm McCool":3v4y593f said:
Those aren't orcs, they're Gamorreans!

Ahem. The AD&D monster manual predates Return of the Jedi by a good few years...

Grumdril":3v4y593f said:
Not sure what though - the Otherworld boars are too pig-like (not really WFB-y)

Only if your idea of WFB is stuck in toytown. :evil:

$T2eC16ZHJHQE9nzEy85kBQRonUitPw~~60_1.JPG

:lol:

Fimm McCool

Zhu Bajie":7ymujyr6 said:
Fimm McCool":7ymujyr6 said:

Ahem. The AD&D monster manual predates Return of the Jedi by a good few years...

Yes, but it does say "comparisons between their noses and a pig's snout are exaggerated" Whereas the otherworld orcs are very definitely pig-faced!

phreedh

Never liked pig-faced orcs. Orcs with snouts, just fine. Orcs looking like antropomorphic pigs, no thanks.

And on topic, the metal boars look just fine - but the riders are too big and too 90s.

;)

Harry

I'm with you,
The Marauder boars are easily the nicest. (but too small for these guys)
The plastic boars are not great and I think they look good (suprisingly good) on the older boars ... I wish I had enough spares to do the same thing.
BUT in a few more years those Perry savage orcs will be as sought after as some of the pre slotta stuff is now. I would be tempted to find some love or the ugly plastic boars and keep the minis with their original mounts.

Zhu Bajie

Yeah, put them on furry Squigs!

Fimm McCool":1rqr5yap said:
Zhu Bajie":1rqr5yap said:
Fimm McCool":1rqr5yap said:

Yes, but it does say "comparisons between their noses and a pig's snout are exaggerated"

The 1977 1st Edition doesn't, which is what the OW Pig Faced Orcs are based on.

Whether they're to personal taste or not isn't really the issue, they are what they are - 1E AD&D Orcs.

Back on topic (ish), what about something like this? might suit the savage orc theme better than a Pumbaa action figure:

Gomphotherium_4b9486d2ad238.jpg

Acheson Creations, scale ref:

images

Back