Chaos Warbands - plus other stuff

jon_1066

I managed to dig out enough painted figures to make two chaos warbands for a game of Lion Rampant. Each is assembled the same: Chaos Warriors for Men-at-arms; Marauders equivalent to Serjeants; thugs and beastment - yeomen; Archers obviously archers, war dogs and palanquin or Chaos Centaurs as mounted serjeants.

Here is the first - also a test for posting images from a sharing site

Mad Murphy's Chaos Marauders

If that works I have a few more photos to post.

Obviously still to figure out how best to base them.

jon_1066

Re: Chaos Warbands

OK I think that has worked so here are closer pictures of the individual units:

Chaos Warrior Men-at-arms:

jon_1066

Most of these figures were painted over 20 years ago. I even think there are some with enamel paints used on them.

Expert Serjeants. Actualy a mix of Thugs and Chaos Warriors

jon_1066

Beastmen and thugs standing in for Yeomen - would probably work better as Fierce Foot in the context of Lion Rampant

Aiteal

Nice warband :)
How do you find the LR rules? They seem top be very popular on the LA forums, and I see that they are releasing a fantasy variant Dragon Rampant soon.

jon_1066

My first go with LR is scheduled for tonight with an old friend I used to game with back in the day. I'll report on how it goes. The great thing about LR is that it is playable in an evening - with time being a problem these days I can't set up a 2000 point WHFB and expect to get it finished. It also looks simple enough to play with my children.

Here is warband number 2 led by a mighty hero on the palanquin of nurgle

jon_1066

Palanquin and wardogs to act as Mounted Serjeants

The palanquin was painted over 20 years ago and the dogs 2 months ago.

jon_1066

Chaos Marauders

These are the Chaos Marauders from 1987-8 with a couple of Chaos Warriors lurking in there. Again all painted 20 years ago except for the Chaos Warrior on the front left who was painted 2 days ago (and not quite finished)

jon_1066

Some old school plastic skeletons standing in as Yeomen

They are a bit washed out by the lights unfortunately. I have enough of these blighters to form their own retinue but most are half painted.

jon_1066

Final photo - Chaos Warrior men-at-arms plus a Necromancer/sorcerer (someone has to animate those skeletons)

I didn't take a close up of the Thug archers since they were a recent purchase on ebay as a quick stand in and weren't painted by me.

Blue in VT

Great stuff! I've just ordered these rules and look forward to getting in a quick game or two with them....and of course I'm interested to see the Dragon Rampart rules when they are released.

Love your classic warbands! if you added some consistent basing they would really come together nicely.

Cheers,

Blue

jon_1066

Thanks

The LR rules were a lot of fun

re the basing I am thinking of going with a basic sand painted grey then add tufts or grass in parts. That way they won't look out of place too much on a grey wasteland type board or more green farmland type of board. For the larger expanses of the cavalry some kind of more interesting thing would probably be in order (eg some rocks, a skull, etc).

jon_1066

Four more recruits for the warbands

First a Marauder and a thug. I am not sure about the pink hair on the thug, the marauder still needs a shield and both need basing.

Next a warrior and beastman musician. Both need basing but I am pretty happy with how they have turned out.

All the chaos warriors are essentially painted in the same way - ink over metallic (in some cases directly over the lead - I was lazy in the old days!)

jon_1066

Small Breton Warband

I dug out my old Bretonnian figures (old F4 feudals I think) and set them up for a group shot. There's an interloper from the Empire carrying a spear and some dodgy colour choices from the old days (who wears red shoes into battle?) but they appear good enough to game with.

Again all need basing and some need shield designs adding.

Totting up my unpainted lead and based upon my current rate of progress (about 1 figure a week) it is going to take me over five and a half years to finish painting just my fantasy figures. So why do I keep looking on ebay to try and spot a bargain?

jon_1066

Chaos Knight

Here is the first of a dozen Chaos Knights. I have half a dozen of these type and half a dozen of the older ones (with the massive horses with no barding)

I have stuck with the same style of painting as the old chaos warriors (ie ink over metallic.) I base coated these with a Humbrol black spray and it has come out quite "gritty". On the other recent paint jobs I had used a Tamiya grey spray and that was absolutely flawless and smooth. The texture wasn't such a bad thing on the horse barding since it has helped with the slightly rusted metal look and breaks up those vast flat areas. It has given the warrior more of a Hammerite look to his armour though. I need to touch up a few spots, base it and add a tail to the horse (wire and Milliput once I get some Milliput.)

Blue in VT

Its fun to watch these groups come together. If I can make one suggestion...with the warriors that are just inks over metal I would recommend one wash of black on top. it will black line all the armor pieces and give the figures a bit more depth.

I'm enjoying reading the rules now and will build a couple of warbands this week and attempt a game later in the month. it seems simple and straight forward once you get the hang of it. It is certainly a different mind set than WFB 3rd ed.

Cheers,

Blue

jon_1066

Half of the first unit sort of done. Need one shield and basing.

Gave a black wash to the previous guy as suggested. Not sure if that red is a bit bright but hey ho!

Back