Rogue Trader Space Marines - Howling Griffon Sigmar VI Camo

AsgardUK

Alright dudes,

Welcome to the project log for my Rogue Trader Space Marine Army

I've been working on this for a few weeks now so the first few posts will be a catch up to bring us up to date. I'm not really an army painter preferring to paint single figures for display, but thought I would give it a bash and see how I get on

The main thing that got all of this started was that I wanted to paint a Space Marine in Camouflage. I had a look through the 40K compendium and settled on the Badab War era Howling Griffons Sigmar IV Uprising pattern. I'm not really a fan of the normal colour scheme for these guys but the camo is cool

Howling_Griffons_Original_Color_Schemes.jpg

Before starting the miniature I had a little look around on the net and came across a painting tutorial for these guys on the From the warp blog. I Really like this version of the camo, so used this as a starting point for my own. So a big thank you to Ron, the original painter, for the inspiration
http://fromthewarp.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/space-marines-painted-in-camo-schemes.html

so on to the pictures, this is the test figure I ended up with, I will take some proper pictures when I get the chapter badge sorted, so sorry for the phone cam pics. I gave this guy the iconic Kil Kil Kil graffiti so that I could always identify the test figure

I'm quite happy with him as a table top standard miniature, and I think the process is simple and enjoyable enough that I might just get a few of them painted!

20150213_010346_resized_1.jpg

20150213_010434_resized_1.jpg

20150213_010409_resized_1.jpg

Asslessman

Re: RT Space Marines - Howling Griffon Sigmar VI Camo

I love that ! Really nice camo which doesn't make the model blurry at all.It's subtle with just the right contrast. that's the way beakies should be painted. The added KIL KIL KIL is just icing on a delicious cake.

AsgardUK

With the test figure sorted I started assembling some more marines, If these are ever actually used for gaming then they will be used in 2nd edition so its 10 man squads.

20150222_120657_resized.jpg

and here they are mid painting, they are still at this stage now and are what I am currently working on

20150309_001048_resized.jpg

AsgardUK

You might have noticed in the above unpainted picture a more modern Space Marine Sergeant, well its one of the only modern (ish) Marine figures I like, I always thought he looked sort of RT, but I thought I could bring him more in line with the older sculpts, and I reckon he will be my army captain

The overall theme I want to go for with this project are that the guys are Soldiers, and they are at War. I don't like the overly ornate walking church things that Space Marines are nowadays, so my army will have as little of that as possible and no huge ornate standards etc

With that in mind here is a picture of the Sergeant I pulled off of the web, I have highlighted in red the bits that I removed

Removed.jpg

Here he is when the conversion was finished, and after he was half primed ( I Zenithal prime but the pic was taken before I had put the white on)

20150222_120147_resized.jpg

20150222_234637_resized.jpg

The studs on his shoulder pad look a bit iffy in the pics, but they look alright in person

AsgardUK

As I said in the beginning, the first few posts in this thread are just to catch up with what I have been doing on this project so far. I tend to paint during the weekend so I can stay up all night doing it, my week nights are mostly spent prepping, assembling, and shopping for new recruits! so there may be more builds etc at the beginning that might take a while for me to get around to painting

Anyway, I figured my dudes need a tank to drive around in, and for some time I have wanted to build a version of the Rhino variant designed by Bob Naismith. The plans were featured in WD 104

20150319_225218_resized.jpg

I managed to score a mashed up Rhino off of Ebay for the princely sum of £2.20, stripped the paint off and had at it. Here are the pics from Stage 1 of the build

20150303_195448_resized.jpg

I decided to make a few changes to the plans and added a winch instead of the viewing window from the original templates. I also used Las cannons instead of the Bolters that are shown in the plans because this was what Bob Naismith had done and because it looks cooler - its weird as the plans in White Dwarf show Bolters but the picture is of Bobs version with Las Cannons

20150304_222738_resized.jpg

20150304_222730_resized.jpg

20150304_222758_resized.jpg

b9194179-ac68-4d9f-bc45-9b8842ec6543.jpg

Matt in PA

Good stuff! Literally my next project in the pipeline is Howling Griffons in this camo scheme...but no way can I follow yours. Love that camo, and your helmet lenses look fantastic. Keep it up, I can't wait to see where this goes.

AsgardUK

Thanks for the comments so far guys! I will leave it here for now, hopefully have more updates on the painting over the weekend

ardyer

Looking awesome! And I think your camo came out better than the tutorial you followed.

Very cool stuff so far, the test marine looks excellent, the kil kil kil was a nice touch, am I right in that the camo doesn't extend to his helmet? was there a particular reason for that?

the tank look great, I don't think I've ever seen that converion before but it's very cool.

lookin forward to seeing more

Asslessman

This thread is just getting better and better. The work on the sargeant is excellent and that rhino variant is just perfect.

Suber

Wow!! These are turning out extremely good! Not only you are doing a superb work on the camo, but the Rhino is ace! Well done! (I need an clapping emoticon! :grin: )

AsgardUK

Cheers for the comments guys, I'm glad your digging it so far.

@Mr Tough Guy. You bring up a good point, I ummed and ahhed for a little while about extending the camo up on to the helmet like it is in the original compendium drawing, but then decided on leaving them without. There were a few reasons for this, I reckon it would look a bit jumbled and unfocused to have camo on the main focal point of the miniature, and I worried that it would obscure the classic mk6 helmet shape. It works in the original drawing but may not translate so well over to a mini.

To be honest I think the main reason was that I thought the plain yellow looked cool as it makes the face and stripe stand out more. It also gives me more options down the line if I want to do any other coloured masks or helmets for commanders or veterans etc

Orjetax

I really enjoy the direction you're moving in. And I'm a sucker for 'Kil Kil Kil.' Great to see the RT space marine vibe being embraced.

Aiteal

Fantastic stuff Asgard, I've always had a soft spot for patterned marine armour, just not the skills to pull it off, this could be enough to get me started on those blizzard pattern marines :)

warcanvas

Excellent work Dan the models sorry sculpts look great in the flesh, cant wait to see more of them painted up :)

axiom

Excellent camo marine, wonderful adaptation of the Marine Sergeant, and a mind-blowingly good Rhino variant. I can't wait to see how these all progress :)

AsgardUK

Hi Guys, thanks all for the cool comments. I have a little update on the painting, its not terribly exciting but at least we are getting somewhere

So here are the first 9 guys with the yellow finished, this was the most tedious part of the painting so far and took me a while to get through, its two coats of Iyanden Darksun, then a Sepia wash and then bring back main colour

20150328_035508_resized.jpg

and here they are with the first stage of the Camo applied

20150329_041830_resized.jpg

Next up is stage two of the camo and then some oldschool blacklining, and a bit of a tidy up!

Back