Tree things and Ariel

Protist

Started a little Old/Newhammer project a few years ago (mix of new and old models - nearly all conversion/scratchbuilds) and to try and inspire some motivation to further it I thought I'd post up some pics of what I've been doing and get some critique:

This is the most Oldhammer unit in my Wood Elf force:
treekin-1-wireframe.jpg

treekin-wip-1.jpg

characters-trees.jpg

ariel-1.jpg

treekin-unit-001.jpg

Yeah, everyone seems to dislike Ariel. I think its a cracking model :roll:

They were going to be 'treekin' in modern Newhammer style, but they're obviously made from the old Dryad models. I wonder if there is a way I can work them into a 3rd or earlier list? Was it 1st and 2nd ed that had units of treemen? What about a lvl 25 treeman that's this kind of size?

close-up-wood-elves-001.jpg

wood-elf-army-halfway-001.jpg

Um... too big? I mean, it makes the old forest dragon look tiny :lol:

You'll have to excuse the old images which include some other bits and bobs - but it saves me from re-editing the damn things!

Asslessman

Yeah people dislike her for good reasons, it's a weird sculpt that's only been given poor paintjobs. Now you make something else of her, she looks splendid, she has that slight Peggy Bundy look (which I like) but she is perfect. Your treemen are wonderfully twisted and creepy. Now that's a good take on Wood elves.

Fimm McCool

Nice muted tones, that banner is exquisite. I agree about Ariel, you've made her look really good. Can you try the same thing on Nagash please? ;)

Exceptional work here.

That banner... simply awesome.

I love those woodland tones and the wonderful stability and earth-connected feeling it lends to the entire army.

The work with the treemen is also top notch stuff (no pun) and again really brings the forest into the army.

The moth-like attributes you have lent to Ariel give her an uncanny majesty I have not ever seen with that model, mostly because she was always painted like a garish butterfly.

Absolutely superb and a real pleasure to view.

phreedh

Fantastic work on Ariel - hands down the best I have ever seen. Now go fix Orion!

What the hell were they on at that time?!

Protist

Thanks all. With this sort of response I'd be mad not to get them finished :grin:

phreedh":1zwzqawn said:
Fantastic work on Ariel - hands down the best I have ever seen. Now go fix Orion!
Lol, I haven't got Orion, yet! He'd be tougher - I could see the moth aspect of Ariel quite obviously so went with that, but Orion... hmmm

phreedh":1zwzqawn said:
What the hell were they on at that time?!
Not sure, but things certainly changed to a chunkier, more one dimensional feel, y'know. There were however some sculpts that were actually very good (like Areil) but got a bit lost in the general tone of things at the time.

Fimm McCool":1zwzqawn said:
Nice muted tones, that banner is exquisite. I agree about Ariel, you've made her look really good. Can you try the same thing on Nagash please? ;)
Thanks! That banner took a loooong time. Its a lindorm (snake/worm with a pair of legs?!) from a Viking boulder inscription. I drew it on A3 paper, then 3 or 4 times in smaller and smaller scale, before even starting the 'base-sketch' on the banner. If you have - or anyone else has - Nagash, kicking around in need of work, I've been literally DYING (hahahahaha) to give him a bid of modification and paintwork since I was about 12y/o! I'd send him back again, since I haven't got an Undead army anymore. Go on, someone wants it bad enough :twisted:

Asslessman":1zwzqawn said:
Yeah people dislike her for good reasons, it's a weird sculpt that's only been given poor paintjobs. Now you make something else of her, she looks splendid, she has that slight Peggy Bundy look (which I like) but she is perfect. Your treemen are wonderfully twisted and creepy. Now that's a good take on Wood elves.
Thanks mate. I had to look up Peggy Bundy, but I think I see what you mean - though I need to give Ariel an 80s tiger print leotard :lol: I've seen plenty of decent paintwork on the model, but never something that I felt actually suited the sculpt.

I've always had a fondness for wood elves, but I've utterly fallen in love with this army... amazing! Ariel looks wonderful, so well done in those muted tones :)

Protist

Haha, thanks guys! I forgot, with so many things going on, that I was going to make a concerted effort to dither along with this project now and again. I started a few others to tide me over instead :roll:

Captain Crooks":2c4j4sbd said:
I've always had a fondness for wood elves, but I've utterly fallen in love with this army... amazing! Ariel looks wonderful, so well done in those muted tones :)
Wow, thanks mate. Once it's finished (in a few more decades) I'll let you know. So many models though... :mrgreen:

Schrumpfkopf":2c4j4sbd said:
Very cool. I like a lo of things about this force, but the wire/treemen things really make me want to shop for stuff. :--)
Stuff is exactly what I decided to make them from. Also, dryads were going for peanuts on ebay a few years ago (3 years perhaps?) so I decided to tear into them for a laugh. No more sappy treekin, I wanted twisted demons of nature! Looking back I should have given them more foliage type decoration - creepers and vines etc - so I might retro sculpt/model some on.

well, i like the ariel model. i love the cold look on her face. she's a killer.

you're a very talented sculptor. i am a bit jealous!

Back