Goblinoids- finished in time for Orctober!

Re: Goblinoids- The collection is complete AND PAINTING BEGI

Posting on this thread is a bit like playing one of my favorite computer games, namely "SimPaintingGreenskins" ;)

Fimm McCool

A few more:

I'm going to run out of large shields again quite soon, so if anyone has any spare ones (as modelled by Brogtong above) let me know!

Gallivantes

I am so in awe of this project because it really is setting the difficulty to "hard" mode and then proceed by hitting it out of the park. There is no wiggle room on this, it depends on getting those right models collected, converted and painted to a very precise standard. So darn cool to watch this unfold.

It's like those figs just stepped out of their cards.

Fimm McCool

Thanks. There was no converting on these three (phew!) so just the collecting and painting. I could quibble over Brogtong's sword being a bit more upright than on the card, but I'm not going to.

Gallivantes

Fimm McCool":2lb2vpb7 said:
I could quibble over Brogtong's sword being a bit more upright than on the card, but I'm not going to.

Yeah I wouldn't beat myself up over that! Quite the bullseye effort still.

I really appreciate what you are doing here...

Would not have thought anything this ambitious myself. Good paintjobs and all, and some of those models bring back memories :)

Gallivantes

Good stuff! Those crazy helmet ornaments of the old orc ranges always made them stand out to me.

Fimm McCool

After a bit of a gap we're back on again...

More blog enlightenment coming soon.

Gallivantes

I thought I knew my way around the old Orc ranges pretty well but this Drodab Ironbrow is news to me.

Anybody know what range/sculptor he is from?

Gallivantes

Oh I see. I have seen the boss before. Maybe the bodyguard too, after all he is the less flamboyant of the two so maybe the chieftain stole the thunder all along.

Would anybody know who sculpted these chaps? I don't really see the signature styles of either Kev Adams, the Perry twins or Bob Olley at work.

Tex

Re: Goblinoids- The collection is complete HALFWAY DONE, PAG

Wow, I really envy your combination of speed & skill!

After some digging, I think that both Gronit Blackarrow and Snark are two different variants of the minis you chose to paint.
Gronit shows up in catalogues as Guftar Smellyfoot and is a toothless variant of Strombag Rickets (the mini you shaved the teeth off).
Snark looks to be catalogued as Nuggernot Hoodhead, whereas your variant looks to be Blandgrit the zonked (I'm in a bit of a hurry, so can't provide a link to the relevant catalogue pages, sorry - I'm looking at some I printed for myself from Stuff of legends).

I'm looking forward to see the next entries, bring them on!

Fimm McCool

Good hunting Tex! Well it does seem wierd they made such similar variants, but there you go. So hard to see from the catalogue shots sometimes. Fortunately I am happy enough with my results not to spend a few more years searching for the right variants. Good to have that particular puzzle solved though!

Tex

Fimm McCool":2dcdpez1 said:
Good hunting Tex! Well it does seem wierd they made such similar variants, but there you go. So hard to see from the catalogue shots sometimes. Fortunately I am happy enough with my results not to spend a few more years searching for the right variants. Good to have that particular puzzle solved though!

Yep, goblins in particular are a real nightmare to collect: many bodies/heads have been used for five or six variants, sometimes even more, and many variants seem to have been produced for a limited time, showing up just once in catalogues or mail order flyers.
Anyway, great job on these array of greenskins...I'm particularly curious to see what you'll come up with Grubod (to shamelessly copy it... ;) )

Fimm McCool

A few more of these green reprobates...

I'm not doing a blog post on these guys yet because Nabrat's warband isn't complete yet... more on that to come!

Fimm McCool

And here's what they will be displayed in:

Arranged in order of their 'warbands'- Nabrat's Armoured Orcs, Ulg's Goblin Tribe, Grubod's Royal Orcs, Uglug's Savage Orcs and the Blackfin Pirate Crew.

Back