Priest and Bounty Hunter (RT/-I-Munda project) 16/10

Mason

I have slowly been squirrelling away some old classic Citadel Rogue Trader figures for a venture back into the 41st Millenium with the intention of doing some small scale skirmishing using the RT rules and the original ideas before the whole system went crazy.

I intend doing small ship's crews, Inquistor warbands, mercenaries, pirates, salvage crews, single squads etc without going off into 'army' territory.

Another of my recent endeavours has involved collecting the old Citadel Eternal Champion figures to build a Melnibonean army.
One of the spin-offs of this has been that I have acquired a few 'damaged' figures in the process, mainly characters from the range.
They seemed perfect to me to convert into an Eldar pirate crew with a little conversion so I thought that I would start there (as I could not resist messing about with them and a little green stuff) and add in a few old Eldar for good measure.
I will probably convert them too.
;)

Here are some WIP shots of what I am doing with them...

First up are some standard figures that will form part of the crew, not converted (yet!)....

Eldar Crew WIP 1 003_zpswfg5crs5.jpg

I will do a little bit of work on them, but not too heavy.

This should give an idea of the sort of thing that may happen to them...

Eldar Crew WIP 1 007_zpsjcpv8fng.jpg

Eldar Crew WIP 1 015_zpswexmqtho.jpg

The Eldar on the left is a standard RT figure that had a broken arm.
I simply repaired it and added a an armour plate.
He also received a cloak, as I think this should give them a nice 'buccaneer-like' look.

The one on the right began life as a Melnibonean infantryman, but lost his spear arm for another conversion.
The addition of a few plastic bits from the more recent Eldar sprues (Thanks, weismonsters!) and another GS cloak should make him fit in quite nicely.
I still need to do something to his right leg to finish him off, and hide the scar where his spear used to be...

I am working on a few of the characters from the EC range at the moment as well.
More on those later...

Asslessman

Re: Eldar Space Pirates WIP

Great stuff, that converted Menilbonean is a super idea ! Looking forward to seeing more.

Looking good so far. Look forward to seeing how it developes. I have noticed that the eldar pirates have something like chain mail on them. Are you green-stuffing over it or will you keep it?

Mason

Asslessman":1e3pg8sf said:
Great stuff, that converted Menilbonean is a super idea ! Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers!
A few more refugees from the multiverse of the Eternal Champion will be joining him.
;)

weismonsters":1e3pg8sf said:
Looking good so far. Look forward to seeing how it developes. I have noticed that the eldar pirates have something like chain mail on them. Are you green-stuffing over it or will you keep it?

Some will stay and some will go.
I like the look of various different armour types and I think it adds an antique look to the style of the figures.
Thanks again for the plastic bits, you will see more of them as tis progesses.
:)

The earlier figures posted are the basic members of the crew (the redshirts, for want of a better description), I have used some of the EC personalities that were damaged to make more characterful members of the crew, officers and such like.

Here is the first of them, based on an Elric figure, and will be the leader of the armsmen.

Eldar Crew WIP 1 022_zps3jalsqtw.jpg

Eldar Crew WIP 1 025_zpspsrhtces.jpg

Eldar Crew WIP 1 030_zps0hhukvd6.jpg

Wearing an ancient suit of Scorpion Armour, and armed with plastic weapons from the more recent releases.
I have tried to get a kind of samurai look going on with this fella.

There are a couple more figures that are almost finished.
Piccies when they are done.

cheetor

Buckle up folks, Mason wont do this in a halfhearted fashion.

This is going to be great :)

Suber

From the second or third pic I was going to say that this was going to be most interesting, but wow, man, as I was scrolling down I was knocked out! I hereby declare this thread officially damn cool!

Mason

cheetor":s15p5wb1 said:
Buckle up folks, Mason wont do this in a halfhearted fashion.

This is going to be great :)

No pressure then.... :oops:

To be honest, this is a project that is going to run alongside my Melnibonean Army for WFB3 and another, as yet unannounced, project that I shall be working on this year.
All three are Oldhammer focused, but do not expect huge leaps or any kind of focus.
I intend to flit between the three so that I do not get bored.
;)

Suber":s15p5wb1 said:
From the second or third pic I was going to say that this was going to be most interesting, but wow, man, as I was scrolling down I was knocked out! I hereby declare this thread officially damn cool!

Thanks, Suber.
I hope it lives up to expectations..... :roll:

Here is another one...

A rather simple conversion, but I did not feel that he needed too much work.
I see him as one of the bridge crew, maybe even an officer of sorts....

Eldar Crew WIP 1 017_zpsiziarwr4.jpg

Eldar Crew WIP 1 021_zpsmqxgeqgc.jpg

A conversion of the EC Dyvim Tvar sculpt.

He is almost finished, but I do feel the need to do something else, just have not decided what yet.
Maybe he needs a side arm of sorts....

Mason

Ok, here is the last of the Eldar that I have been messing about with (for now, at least)....

Eldar Crew WIP 1 033_zpsbufd1jtm.jpg

Eldar Crew WIP 1 037_zpsvelmnigu.jpg

Based on the EC Corum figure, this will be either a Farseer or the Ship's Captain, undecided as yet.

Now I just need to go back and tidy up the bits that the photos have revealed and finish off the green stuff work on the others....

cheetor

Mason":19xj6hlz said:

The pressure is all your own making Mason, with spectacular threads like this one raising the bar to unprecedented levels ;)

This project will of course be great anyway, Elric and Eldar, it writes itself to an extent. Its already impressive. Im looking forward to seeing it develop.

Mason

cheetor":3n1y2wuj said:
Mason":3n1y2wuj said:

The pressure is all your own making Mason, with spectacular threads like this one raising the bar to unprecedented levels ;)

This project will of course be great anyway, Elric and Eldar, it writes itself to an extent. Its already impressive. Im looking forward to seeing it develop.

Not my fault.
I just really enjoyed messing around in Mordheim.
I have not really added anything of worth to that for some time.

To be honest, I have been messing around with Strange Aeons and the Old West for too long recently (check out those threads on LAF, they are much longer....).
;)

cheetor":3n1y2wuj said:
Mason":3n1y2wuj said:

Thank you, sir.
Your own work is more than partially responsible for me venturing into the 40k universe again.

I should have an update soon, correcting my mistakes with the green stuff first, of course...

Mason

OK, I think that I have finished with the green stuff.
Here are some piccies of the Explorator Crew as they are now...

47414baa-5ea4-4926-bf3b-0a1a44deea27_zpsty6gfibz.jpg

Some close-ups.

Beginning with two of the Warriors.

0206b983-bbf2-4eda-b87f-10925f142822_zpsyvw2ybrg.jpg

45b81781-9580-41fb-822a-6d5a6fd7b08c_zpsnhqpwtuq.jpg

As both of them are obviously from the same dollie I thought it would be a good idea to vary them as much as possible, so the second one did not get a cloak but received a loincloth and some extra armour plates instead

The next picture shows the other classic RT Warrior, one of my favourite sculpts of the period (I just love that Shuriken Pistol!) and the Ghost Warrior.

3db50238-180b-423b-bcc4-03bd75f8eb6f_zps7oonnhkb.jpg

46e46c27-5179-4a10-b644-f40ff0f98cab_zpsss703k19.jpg

I only wanted to make tiny adjustments to this figure, so he only got some flashy epaulettes and a couple of knee pads.

Next up are the two officers based on Eternal Champion figures.
They remain the same as before, although Corum has had the back of his staff altered.... ;)

39b2c06e-9dae-4432-99c8-1042148d1d62_zps7nua7jvt.jpg

f966bb95-7086-4fac-a8e2-87ee83514249_zpsrsbyohkc.jpg

And finally the last two warriors.
The 'Scorpion Samurai' is as before but the Catapult armed warrior has had leg armour added and a plume added to his helm.

97c24c09-358e-4c98-809f-583d60a9c580_zpswx0itcyw.jpg

ad7174d6-35f1-4eab-8d69-bedb64f91094_zpsszoykkrm.jpg

I am looking to move onto some painting soon.

symphonicpoet

Re: Eldar Space Pirates (Ready for paint)

That's a very colorful band. They look much more piratical than I would have expected. And very consistent. Well done.

Mason

Re: Eldar Space Pirates (Dreadnaught added!)

symphonicpoet":2kraat7t said:
That's a very colorful band. They look much more piratical than I would have expected. And very consistent. Well done.

Thank you.
I am pretty happy with them as they are now.

I found something that has been sitting around in a box for some years now...a beautifully painted, original Eldar Dreadnaught....

Eldar Crew pre-paint 049_zpsluys0kch.jpg

This gorgeous chap was bought on ebay almost ten years ago on a whim as I loved the paintjob so much.
No idea who painted it, but he should blend in well with the look of this crew, I reckon, so I will recase it to match this lot.

Lovely, aint she?

Asslessman

Re: Eldar Space Pirates (Dreadnaught added)

Seems I had missed a couple of additions and they're cool ! I especially like the asymetrical legs on the Menilbonean and details of the sort. Really gives a more organic look to the armour than the technological look they can have at times. Good thing you fixed teh staff, the rear view had a little phallic style that was a little ... disturbing, especillay at the end of a staff.

That Dreadnought is absolutely gorgeous, I'd love to own something of the sort. Rebasing is all you need to fit it inded though the temptation to keep it just as is must be great. Are you going to echo its paintstyle on the guardians or not ?

Mason

Asslessman":28gzzvoi said:
Seems I had missed a couple of additions and they're cool ! I especially like the asymetrical legs on the Menilbonean and details of the sort. Really gives a more organic look to the armour than the technological look they can have at times. Good thing you fixed teh staff, the rear view had a little phallic style that was a little ... disturbing, especillay at the end of a staff.

Cheers!
I wanted something a little different with some of the armour plates, not so 'standardised' so am happy that someone else approves.

As for that staff....it didnt dawn on me that it looked quite like that until someone pointed it out to after seeing the picture.
It had to go, unless they have been afflicted by Slaanesh, of course... ;)

Count Von Bruno":28gzzvoi said:
Shit man, that Dreadnought is a real work of art...beautiful.

I agree.
It even gets the approval of my missus, which very few fantasy or sci-fi figures ever do.
:grin:

Asslessman":28gzzvoi said:
That Dreadnought is absolutely gorgeous, I'd love to own something of the sort. Rebasing is all you need to fit it inded though the temptation to keep it just as is must be great. Are you going to echo its paintstyle on the guardians or not ?

I am going to do the armour in my old original Craftworld colours of grey and crimson, but the cloaks and plumes etc should give the chance to add some brighter spots of colour.

Matt in PA

Man that dread is nice! The kind of thing I always wanted to do but could never pull off. You're doing it right by just rebasing and leaving the rest.

Dooz

Excellent conversions, now get some paint on them ;)

Grumdril

Great concept, and some lovely conversion work. Particularly impressed with the samurai armour effect on one of the warriors. Will be great to see them painted.

I wonder if you have any references or guidance for the hair sculpting, especially as done on the Melnibonean warrior? I'm just taking my first baby steps in sculpting for some hobgoblin conversions I'm doing, and the hair is proving a bit daunting at the moment :(

Paul / Grumdril

Back