The Army of Melnibone: The Rebirth

Show us what you are working on at the moment

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:51 pm

The Army of Melnibone: The Rebirth

Some of you may be aware that I have slowly been putting together a force of old Citadel Melniboneans with the aim of using them to build an army based on the 3rd edition High Elf list in Warhammer Armies.
I originally wanted to do a Slann force but that will have to wait as my plans for that took a slight detour but they will be done in the future.

The Melniboneans seem perfect for my current needs as there is a fair bit of armour so that should speed up the painting process.

I shall use this thread to keep track of progress.

Here is what I have so far, organised into units....

There are a few Elves in there to fill out some of the slots but Melniboneans are, by far, the majority.
There are still a few gaps to fill but I am nearly there.

Many thanks to those of you that helped me put this lot together.
Last edited by Mason on Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:13 pm

Re: The Army of Melnibone

That's a valuable pile of lead right there - the prices some of those Melniboneans go for is - well - shocking!

It'll be good to see an Oldhammer elf army that isn't dark or wood elves, I've yet to see a complete one (maybe due to incorrect application of google-fu). Any thoughts on colour schemes yet? Particularly are you going for a unified military or a diverse collection of militias/guards/retinues etc?
Protist's Works Progressive: Paint-hammer in progress thread, hosted right here on the forums
Lead Hammer is my blog, charting a personal, wandering course through the world of miniatures
Unfortunately I have lost all my photos - since I let my old web-host lapse - I'll get them all back again sometime in the new year :roll:

Post Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:23 pm

looking good! Nice regimented feel with the similar poses which suits the highly trained Melnibonean types.
Keep Kalm and Pass Kool Tests.

Post Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:46 pm

Wow looking forward to seeing those painted
My blog http://quendilsworld.blogspot.co.uk
You can never have too many projects!

mbh

Post Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:14 pm

this will be great.

One of my dream projects has always been using these and the dragon master models to make a high elf army.

Post Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:28 pm

Protist wrote:That's a valuable pile of lead right there - the prices some of those Melniboneans go for is - well - shocking!

It'll be good to see an Oldhammer elf army that isn't dark or wood elves, I've yet to see a complete one (maybe due to incorrect application of google-fu). Any thoughts on colour schemes yet? Particularly are you going for a unified military or a diverse collection of militias/guards/retinues etc?

They were not terribly expensive, to be honest.
Lots of trading and decent prices from quite a few people on here and LAF, along with a few ebay purchases and I have gotten to this point.
I probably will add a few more over time, but have plenty to be getting on with now.

Colour schemes....

The only thing that I have settled on is bronze armour.
That should help unify the army and allow me a little leeway with other colours on the various units while still keeping a form of unity.
I do not see myself painting these many figures all the same colour.
I think I would loose the plot along the way... ;)

Zhu Bajie wrote:looking good! Nice regimented feel with the similar poses which suits the highly trained Melnibonean types.

That is what I was hoping for with the 'regular' units.
The Wardancers and scout should provide a bit of a break so they will be painted in between the infantry blocks.

Quendil wrote:Wow looking forward to seeing those painted

So do I!
:D

mbh wrote:this will be great.

One of my dream projects has always been using these and the dragon master models to make a high elf army.

Me too, although I am not so keen on the Dragon Masters.
I have one almost complete but will most likely use something else, a conversion and a lot of green stuff work is on the cards for that.
:)

Post Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:35 am

Here is a quick couple of shots of the conversion that I have knocked together to use as Elite Guards for the Army....

I used a damaged Elric figure as a base, so he should fit in nicely, height-wise.
I have gone for a chunkier, more imposing look for this unit.
This is going off tomorrow to be cast up so that I can have a unit of them.

Post Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:05 pm

Re: The Army of Melnibone: The Guard

I now have the Guard back from the caster.

I just have to add a character figure and convert a couple into a musician and standard bearer and they are ready for painting.

I also have a few more than this so I have too many, if anyone is interested in any, send me a PM.
I cannot sell them but would be willing to trade my excess figures.

Post Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:13 am

I now have enough troops for 3000pts of rank and file and a bucket of 20mm washers for bases, so work shall begin on these soon.

Post Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:55 am

Well done, look forward to seeing this come together for you. What colour scheme are you going to use?:D

Paul / Golgfag1
How can I ever have enough stuff, I don't need.

https://golgfags.blogspot.co.uk/
Next

Return to WIP