WHFB 3rd Ed. in 10mm: These are small, those are far away...

Hello,

After a bit of inadvertent threadomancy I thought I'd show the lovely people here what I'm working on in regards to 3rd ed.

Fantasy was my favourite game when younger (my poor book shows the scars) but I could never afford or really achieve the armies I wanted to. This meant I mainly played skirmishes with very mixed forces. Well many years have passed and I've found a way. My regular opponent (not yet a member but give him time) and I decided to play in 10mm using half scaled measurements. This allows you to have massive armies which take up very little space and can be transported easily. I admit it does limit my opponents but I have a number of armies and am quite happy to lend them to a worthy opponent if needs be.

I have chosen to mainly use Warmaster figures ( the sculpts are beautiful, better than some 28mm IMHO) and cut them up and individually base them. On some of the ranges this isn't really possible as the chaps in the strip seem to be hugging, but with some patience and a willingness to do tiny sculpting I seem to be getting somewhere.

The (hopefully) attached picture below shows the tester models I knocked up last summer to try and inspire me, since then (and between daily boring life related things) I have cut up and re-done goblins, orcs, dwarfs, skaven, elves and more. I just haven't painted them. Yet.

Looking at them with fresh eyes (found them in a cupboard today) I could do with re-detailing them but as a visual reminder and inspiration I find them very useful. I'm trying to develop my painting and get better at differentiating between a show model and a gaming piece.

I still have lots left to hack up including all the super rare mega ridiculous money (according to the baying hordes on eBay) ones like Teutogen guard, phoenix chaps, halflings, goblin spider riders and the like.

I hope this is of some interest to you guys, I have got some traditional scale stuff but that's most likely going to be used for skirmishes, AHQ and the like. Oh and hopefully the Oldhammer day.

Attachments

• IMG_5977_2.JPG
    IMG_5977_2.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,481

Blue in VT

Re: WHFB 3rd Ed. in 10mm: These are small, those are far awa

:shock: :shock: :o :shock: I love them! I'd love to see a group/army shot next time you have them set up! I think your painting looks stellar...particularly at this scale...thanks for sharing the pictures.

What other brands of figures do you use to supplement the Warmaster figures?

Cheers,

Blue

Zhu Bajie

Bloody nutter! Those is lovely.

I toyed with the idea myself, but seeing most of the stands are attached, I thought it too much trouble to cut and fix such tiny things (my eyes aren't getting any younger and were buggered to start with), mixing 10mm Copplestone with Warmaster and that Battle of Five armies game that GW did a few years back. Well done, would love to see more.

Have you thought about using more realistic weapon ranges? Always thought that would be interesting at that scale.

Thanks Blue.

Most (nearly all) of my force are Warmaster (OCD is such a limiting term :lol: ) but there are a few Copplestone chaps in there too. My main opponent uses Warmaster, Magister Millitum and Pendraken to great effect, balancing the straight fantasy with more medieval Oldhammer style chaps. I'm hoping that some positive reinforcement from you and your fellows will mean I'll soon have more painted to show you. I feel a bit dirty showing you naked lead, but if that's what you're into ;)

Hey Zhu, yep seemed like a great idea when I started. the infantry are all based on 10mm magnets to make movement simpler. The BOFA models are lovely but too compact to cut up with out tons of re-sculpting. Only really just got back to playing (had a game pre-salute last weekend and really enjoyed it) but intend to link it into a mighty empires campaign so I (in south wales) can play against my regular opponent (sussex) via vassal or the like and fight out the exciting bits when we get together. The weapon ranges seemed to be OK but as I said I'm not really back in the swing enough to know yet so any suggestions would be gratefully received.

BALM

Naagruz

Wow! Those are inspiring! Ace painting. 8-)

I was surprised to find that the Warmaster minis seemed reasonably priced on GW's site; far better than Epic 40K by comparison. You could easily field a travel 10mm WFB force without breaking the bank.

Chico

Ok i admit it, i've become a fan of the smaller scale after looking at these. Good Job

I managed to find my other concept model for tiny 3rd earlier. Behold a Medium. Or Large. Not really Giant though.

First of all please be kind, my camera's super powered and shows mistakes I didn't know were there :( . He's built from some skaven legs, catachan arms and head, a horse skull from the old skelly box and other bits I found lying around. I'm hoping a bit of neatening up and a good paint job and he'll look great or at least better.

The giants in fantasy really capture what I love about 3rd: The random drunkenness, variable actions and a love of gravity sports (should I build him a cart?)

Thank you all for your comments they will be great motivation to keep me moving.
cheers

BALM

Attachments

• IMG_7859.JPG
    IMG_7859.JPG
    742.4 KB · Views: 3,426
  • IMG_7860.JPG
    IMG_7860.JPG
    613.5 KB · Views: 3,426
  • IMG_7861.JPG
    IMG_7861.JPG
    686.2 KB · Views: 3,426

exilesjjb

Hay BALM I have a load of empire warmaster lead drop me a PM with you adress and its yours just gathering dust at mine. Loving your work on these btw, what size gaming area do you plan to use.

Thantsants

Wow - I've been really getting into 10mm gaming (battle report here using Bombshell Game's brilliant new rules, Mayhem) but never considered individually basing the minis and playing 3rd ed with them! :lol:

Love your painting - very detailed and the Large is excellent and definitely in need of a cart 8-)

Naagruz

Your giant looks great! Nice use of bits & GS.

Thank you all for the positive comments, I may have found a way to motivate myself and meet gamers I can relate too :) (is it a trap?)

exilesjjb: So far we've just been playing on a 2'x2' table (equivalent of 4'x4') but we intend to go bigger in time and integrate siege aswell (I have 4-5 mighty fortresses for proper scale and intend to replicate one in 10mm when I get the time). It will all hopefully be linked into a vassal based mighty empires campaign too.

Thantsants: I like your blog (stared at it many times), I've got those horse tribe cavalry in my to do list. Copplestone stuff is lovely and much easier to hack up than warmaster. I've never used a cart in a game but as an street luge enthusiast I really should make him one.

Bug16 and nagruz: cheers guys, it's amazing what a bits box, powerful prescription meds and insomnia can create at times :grin:

Thank you all I'll try and get some more stuff painted asap, and now back to endless sawing, sticking and basing......

BALM

Grumdril

These look great, thanks for sharing them.

I've been out of the hobby for years but have been getting a hankering to play again thanks to the evil blogsphere! It occurred to me that small scale might be the way to start cheaply, but also that at 6mm you could get the table scale the same as the figure scale and hence have more representative terrain (especially buildings). However the 6mm figures I've seen really don't impress me. 10mm does seem to be a massive step up from 6mm in terms of detail and character, although I'm sure a lot of it is down to your painting.

Just John

Brilliant stuff - I love the idea of 10mm figures for 3rd. Ingenious. Your painting is amazing - keep it up and show more.

Grumdril":1fd0ds0n said:
However the 6mm figures I've seen really don't impress me. 10mm does seem to be a massive step up from 6mm in terms of detail and character, although I'm sure a lot of it is down to your painting

With regards to 6mm figures you cant view them as individuals but as a block on the table, If you are thinking about 6mm don't just look at the unpainted lead but at fully based & painted units. It will make a difference.

Thanks Grumdril. Small scales are excellent when it comes to practicality and scope (and you can make some really nice scenery) but I'm a real stickler and have to really like the miniatures I paint otherwise my attention wanders quickly. This is why most of the 10mm stuff you'll see here is warmaster and copplestone, as both these ranges are well sculpted and are easy to paint up well. That said one of my favourite sculptors Michael Lovejoy did some 6mm stuff for someone, I forget who, Beastmen and Vikings and the like and if I actually saw them in the flesh I'd probably start another long running :( project/quest (already looking at Warmaster Ancients in 6mm using Baccus). They're painted as gaming pieces and I've reduced the subtlety that I'd have on 28mm miniatures as I want them to look nice from where I'm sitting when I'm playing.

In 10mm we intend to have full castles and sieges as it will link in closely with our campaign play as my opponent (childhood friend) and I can then play the boring bits over the net. I feel 10mm has just enough character to represent the oldhammer style of individuality in armies and troops that I love (and in small scales it is feasible and practical to own a nice range of different troops so games don't get boring). I intend to name all my characters and involve them in long running feuds with each other and my opponents chaps. I've got foot and mounted versions of most characters and I'm tinkering with building siege equipment. :grin:

Just John Thank you, lots more to show, just got distracted over the weekend. Am going to stop now and go and paint something to post.

majorsmith

wow these are just awesome! great detail for such small figures

Thank you for positive comments. Bit more stuff. Sorry to take so long, a massively unproductive week resulted in quite angry painting last night :grin: now I come to look at the giant I'm not overly happy but it's more to do with the finish I left when sculpting him and the fact that I'm prone to social fireside painting (In front of the TV with my wife whilst she works). This is often done in poor lighting and can result in some interesting :o effects when seen in clear daylight the next day. It's ok and as a gaming piece I'm happy. As usual pictures show defects the eyes can no longer perceive ;)

Giant will undergo some fine neatening, really wanted to put a Bugmans symbol onto his belly plate. Free handed three times and got frustrated each time and removed it :lol: Paints a little thick in places but this is hard to see from a gaming distance.
I've also noticed a glaring error in my half scale attempts as it seems that my cavalry pieces are mounted on 25mmx40mm equivalents instead of 20mm. This is only on a couple and they're mainly characters so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I've also based my halfling hotpot on one of these erroneous bases. Hopefully a more productive week to come and more stuff actually painted.

BALM

Attachments

• IMG_7886.jpg
    IMG_7886.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 2,346
  • IMG_7887.jpg
    IMG_7887.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 2,346
  • IMG_7888.jpg
    IMG_7888.jpg
    393.2 KB · Views: 2,346

Subedai

That's an inspired idea and your miniatures look fantastic! I've only got some Tomb Kings for Warmaster in the scale, shame the models are out of production.

Also, love the Sesame Street reference. It was a formative episode for me.

Tzigane

Being a huge fan of Warmaster (both the game and the miniatures) I'd love to see more of this! Any progress? :)

Back