Old School in Small Scale?

Hi!

Despite being on a bit of a 28mm fix at the moment, I have been working on some small scale stuff over the last few months too, be it 15mm or even Epic stuff and was wondering what folks thought of playing the likes of Rogue Trader or Fantasy Battle in a scale other than 28mm?

For example, heres some ersatz Space Marines in 15mm scale:

DSCF1065_zpsaa0ae3b8.jpg

A 15mm scale Ork warboss:

DSCF1058_zps932a2d37.jpg

And finally some Epic Scale gubbins:

DSC01547.jpg

Likewise looking at the Ral Partha Demonworld range, much of it is a pretty close fit to some of the old GW stuff and would make for a decent alternative to 28mm scale for those of us with a limited amount of space.

I will keep posting whatever small scale gubbins I happen to paint as I go too!

All the best!

exilesjjb

I feel you can play any game at any scale, all you need to do is adjust distances. As for WFB I think the creators were just looking to get you gaming whatever you use let not forget the rule box provides you with paper soldiers at the back so you can play without figures.
your small scale painting is top draw by the way

Naagruz

Great painting!

I think most wargames make more sense at 15mm. The minis can still be pretty, but your army transport issues drop off substantially.

My old gaming group ran several mini-40K games after SM2 launched. Tons of 6mm fun that could be played on a TV tray. :)

Thantsants

Love the 15mm stuff but your Epic minis really make me want to go back and give the Space Marines I daubed orange in an attempt at copying the Blood Angels colour scheme that was featured in the WD's of the time!

Really enjoyed playing Fantasy (using the Mayhem rules) in 10mm a recently.

Spooktalker

The Warmaster figs are really fantastic sculpts and suitably old school. Warmaster also has one of the very few sets of GW rules I deign to play anymore (I don't use the 40k or Warhammer Fantasy rules in any edition, for example, when I play with my Citadel figures). I was so taken with Warmaster for a few years that I was planning to get just about every army. However, while I thought painting the figures would be easier than 28mm I found the opposite to be true, and painting several hundred of them was enough to curb my ambitions back to just the one Warmaster army I had already started.

Tangentially related, when I was young the idea of one model representing more than one soldier was a bitter pill I wasn't ready to swallow. Now, however, the idea doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I don't think I can enjoy a game anymore unless I know exactly what the ratio is for the particular battle. Though I love the Warmaster figs and the rules, I'd just as soon play with two or a handful of figures representing each Warmaster stand.

And oddly enough all of the above only holds true for fantasy in my mind. I still love the idea of epic 40k and am really glad I didn't go through with the ebay sale when my collection was in the ebay pile for a few years. I think it's something about how big the footprints of the vehicles are on the table that makes it really difficult to scale up 40k and give it a sense of a big battle, especially when you want to get artillery, flyers and, of course, titans, involved.

Sorry if this is threadomancy but....

I play 3rd in 10mm using individually cut and based Warmaster minis. In some cases this means re-sculpting bits but they do look nice. If anyone is interested I will try and post some pics so you can see what I'm up to.

Cheers

BALM

bug16

BeneathALeadMountain":2xfjj9qs said:
Sorry if this is threadomancy but....

I play 3rd in 10mm using individually cut and based Warmaster minis. In some cases this means re-sculpting bits but they do look nice. If anyone is interested I will try and post some pics so you can see what I'm up to.

Cheers

BALM

Definitely post some pics! :)

Back