Urban scenery

Suber

One of my long(loong)-term projects has been about building a proper urban board. I got some buildings about a couple of years ago, but never really got into it. The absurdly gorgeous Ferrograd has been the final inspiration I was requiring :idea: (of course I won't reach half the awesomeness of Ferrograd, but I must credit Colin for the inspiration) :)

My first building would be this tavern. The set wasn't designed to be played in the inside, so I made some modifications. First of all I added a foamboard floor:

16lmyv5.jpg

The bar was made with some more foamboard and cardboard:

345bfbr.jpg

Then some posters, every local tavern has some dirty posters with concerts, ads or just the menu:

2mexov8.jpg

So this is the inside after I placed a couple of tables and seats:

2us8und.jpg

1zwnqxi.jpg

The outside was just grey primed. To do some proper weathering I would need an airbrush (which I do not have nor plan to buy). Buuut I had more primer sprays 8-). They work for me, it was just a matter of making it dirty :lol: :

2rd7sr6.jpg

2e0s8ee.jpg

The final touch was to add a sign. I opted for a hanging tavern sign. As you can see, a coffe stirrer makes the deal. Now you can see here the Firefly influence on me. I already painted a Blue Sun container, so I went on the same way. According to Google Translator :mrgreen: it says 'sparkling pulsar'

11qsdw7.jpg

2qvdod4.jpg

This is the final aspect:

14a998n.jpg

You can follow the whole process on the blog:
http://oldschoolworkshop.blogspot.com.e ... ulsar.html

Hopefully this will be only the first of many (and better) buildings, I'll keep you updated!

Asslessman

This is excellent ! The littel addition to detail is what makes it so nice. LIke on Colin's board the posters and detials really bring the terrain to life better than master paintjob. You guys really make me want to have a go myself. What point in having great models if it's to put them on a raw kitchen table...
Oh and don't worry about the google transaltion, it's 100% wrong I'm sur ebut that's the beauty of it, just hope any chinese enthusiast understands (they must be used to that).

Suber

Thank you, guys! Glad you like it :razz: I have an eye on Sarissa Precision, Impudent Mortal, Ainsty and so on, buy I'm not buying anything else until I finish what I still have at home! I guess I should actually build a proper board before I populate a city with too many structures, but I don't work on impulses, but on creativity spasms :?

Obscure Creator":cv9snzuy said:
Very Very cool!
Add some neon ligts made of leds!! :grin:

Oh, man, that's so cool! I lack the abilities to do so, but that would be awesome indeed 8-)

whiskey priest":cv9snzuy said:
Suber pm me your address and I'll send you a bit of scenery to put in the bar ;)

Wow, Colin, thank you! But I wouldn't allow you to dismantle pieces of Ferrograd! :cry:

symphonicpoet

^Obscure Creator,

Actually, if you want the authentic East Asian look you can just bypass the neon and go straight to LEDs looking like LEDs. I've tried to capture East Asian LED mania on video. I've . . . not been terribly successful. It's intense.

Anyway . . .

I love your bar. There are some very solid and very nice ideas there. Firefly is quite worthy of reference. (I plan to put a certain pink dress in an upper window on one of my models soonish.) And Eastern-Western fusion scenery and signage is the way to go. Makes for a good dinner too. A very good dinner. Please do forgive. I found myself unexpectedly in love with a Vietnamese woman a few years back and . . . well . . . now I'm related to East Asia. Always been friends, but now I'm family. Please forgive me for getting a little soppy. I'm no longer unbiased on that account. Maybe I never was. Who knows?

Keep up the good work.

whiskey priest":udqat2c1 said:
Suber pm me your address and I'll send you a bit of scenery to put in the bar ;)

Wow, Colin, thank you! But I wouldn't allow you to dismantle pieces of Ferrograd! :cry:[/quote]

Don't worry, it's not going to do any harm :lol:

Suber

OK, here it goes, second building for the project. Same manufacturer, MDF built. As I now have a trader of... unusual objects ;), I definitely was in need of a place where to trade. With that idea in mind, I set a place with two separate parts, the 'public attendance' and the back room, using a piece of foamboard:

sxi14i.jpg

The floor was the same for both parts:

2mhflp5.jpg

I've finally found a place where to set this old examination table! :) (for years I thought of a diorama about a Mechanicus lab, but I've been too lazy :roll:)

2u7sw9t.jpg

So I've discovered that my bit box should better be known as 'junk mess of different crap', but hey, it has served me for this purpose :grin:

34zngvm.jpg

4ggg9y.jpg

If I were a genius like the Star Wars production team (sorry, the link is in Spanish, but I believe the pics are quite self explanatory :mrgreen: ) I would do quality stuff; for the moment this is enough for me:

2wf1sol.jpg

I wanted it to look shabby and crowded, but I must not forget this is a piece of scenery, not a damn dollhouse :? , so it must be somehow playable.
As you can see, nothing complicated for the outside:

mtxymo.jpg

n54x1l.jpg

As this is a... discrete business, the owner doesn't want any sign. If you are coming here, it's because you know what you are looking for...

2wfn0g7.jpg

As I look at it I realize it needs severe weathering effects. I must dare to try grafitti effects, signs or stuff like that...

http://oldschoolworkshop.blogspot.com.e ... sales.html

I have some Sarissa Precision stuff on the way home 8-) and I'm beginning to come around some ideas for the board. I'll be posting all that over here...

Suber

As I'm in dire need of a decent board to house all my stuff, I've finally commited myself to build something!

The whole concept is to use a few 120x60cm boards I have at home. Using some foam, I've come to these basic shapes for a beginning, this will be my port:

2niqwrr.jpg

svjfon.jpg

There will be an additional level in the back, but still haven't decided the shapes or height. I just begun the 'first floor' ;)

I intend to use that not only for my RT settings, but also for Fantasy, historical or whatever other scenarios I may come up with, so I needed a generic paving. Some tests led me here:

16h9ncy.jpg

28i6seq.jpg

b6368y.jpg

Well, this is nuts! :? I might do bigger paving stones on the second floor and in futures boards, but for the moment this is what I got.

http://oldschoolworkshop.blogspot.gr/20 ... -many.html

I'm currently out of home for a few days, but I'll take the project again as soon as I come back!

Great work and you are under valuing yourself.

If I were a genius like the Star Wars production team (sorry, the link is in Spanish, but I believe the pics are quite self explanatory :mrgreen: ) I would do quality stuff; for the moment this is enough for me:

gillettecomlink.jpg

QuiGon_hush981.jpg

Suber

:lol: :lol:
Well, I tend to use all kind of crap from my bits box, but seeing that I think I need to widen my scope...

Suber

I finished the first board! Hooray!
Found a spray that doesn't dissolve foam that much:

2wodi5s.jpg

So I was definitely going in this direction:

15xonrq.jpg

For the second level, I had to start the process all over again. Measure, cut, carve...

2q408ci.jpg

Stairs, I love stairs :?

2z59kzb.jpg

After various (and very colourful) insults and swearings, I got that:

kcms6d.jpg

Which eventually turned into this, when some more paint & glue work was done:

25upamp.jpg

So this is it, ready to be inhabited!

24ngx9e.jpg

You can find a few more pics of the process here:
http://oldschoolworkshop.blogspot.com.e ... d.html?m=0

I won't start the second board immediately, as I have to take care of several different projects (and my sanity and will need to be restored!), but I'll let you know when it starts again...

Suber

Oooops! I hadn't posted my latest stuff over here :oops:

Some time ago I got some stuff from Sarissa Precision. I'm making some slow process (lot of stuff!), but I can show you these two bridges.

316mfme.jpg

Not future aspect at all, but what the hell, I liked it enough, don't need anything else:

20u3cic.jpg

2m45fg8.jpg

How could I resist this? :roll:

28vvk9g.jpg

This is how they look on my ongoing board:

qqe8n6.jpg

http://oldschoolworkshop.blogspot.com.e ... r.html?m=0

Apart from that, I also got a few industrial walkaways from Bandua Wargames. Again, MDF stuff. I used the same technique and got this:

1075im9.jpg

2e1vksm.jpg

2dv4oj6.jpg

This is supposed to be 'designed for Infinity'. Meh, I can use that as well :grin:

23lec6v.jpg

2s0eoer.jpg

Whenever I get to build some more proper buildings using foamboard I guess I'll use that as a walkaway between them, that kind of stuff.
Here you have it all on the blog:
http://oldschoolworkshop.blogspot.com.e ... s.html?m=0

Back