BB 3rd Edition Chaos Team...

phreedh

Yesterday, I started my chaos team on a whim more or less. Inspired by Harry's post, I decided I would not go for the GREEN and ORANGE colour scheme I had already base coated one in - some six or seven years ago. Instead, I copied Harry's paintjob straight off the bat. Drybrushing metals. Harry, you're a genious! I would NEVER have considered painting the warriors' armour pure metals unless I had seen you do it.

So, here's the first WIP shot after some two-three hours of work (including glueing bases on three and black basecoat on two of them). Nothing but drybrushing and washing so far, except for the gloves and gold parts. Those probably took me the same amount of time to do as all the other metals and washes.

wip-chaos_1.jpg

The steel is done, more or less. I need to do base coats for the gold and gloves on the remaining three and then I'll do a wash and highlight of the gold and then highlight the leather parts up to something like 50/50 Vallejo Earth and GW Devlan Mud. I want the leather light, I think.

phreedh

Woah... looking at the pic at work, it seems I killed all the reds in photoshop and dialed up the yellow to 11. The metal is a bit more tarnished and the leather and gold does not have a green hue to them. =)

Thantsants

Looking good nonetheless!

Certainly is a great looking colour scheme 8-)

Thankfully I only have a handful of Chaos players so don't need to worry about painting them till I've rounded up a whole team...

phreedh

Thantsants":19qnjgdk said:
Certainly is a great looking colour scheme 8-)
I've always been of the opinion that BB players' pads should be coloured and uniform. Never even considered using pure metals.

Main benefit of it is the ludicrous speed at which the warriors can be painted. =D Since I dislike the models a fair bit (though painting them have made me warm up a bit) I didn't feel like spending ages on them.

phreedh

Nothing much to it, but I figured I'd keep the thread updated for motivation.

wip-chaos_2.jpg

Finished all the base coating and washing now, and steel parts are more or less finished. I'll highlight the golden parts, fill in a few details and the it's boots and gloves. Then they're done. =) Quick jobs!

phreedh

Thantsants":37gljr98 said:
Very tidy - nicely done sir! 8-)
Cheers Steve! They're a bit bland, but as a mate of mine used to say: "They're not only good, they're good enough!"

My main concern now is where to paint the damn player numbers so they're visible both front and back. Shoulder pads are a bit busy.

Thantsants

See what you mean - could you paint large numbers either side of the spikes? For example putting the 1 and 3 of 13 on the bit of space left on the shoulder pads either side of the spikes.

Flat top helmet - on top of his helmet? :grin:

Middle left - breast plate and back plate - assuming its flat?

Chap on the right :?:

Hetz

Nombers? Nombers? We don' need no steenkin' nombers.
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

Sorry, got a bit carried away there :) looking great so far.

Harry

Looking great ... I feel your boots and gloves need to be a slightly red brown to move the colour away from the gold.

phreedh

Shitty picture and they look rough as fuck, but here's a pic of the more or less finished chaos warriors. Glad I'm done with these bastards. :mad:

wip-chaos_3.jpg

I'm doing numbers on the pads (front and back) and on the bases too (front and back as well). The ones on the players themselves are mostly decoration (since they really ought to have numbers). Finished and based models will be in a showcase thread once I have a few beastmen done too. Hate doing freehand and numbers, so I'm glad they turned out ok. Still have 3 and 4 (chaps to the right) to do. :cry:

So... beastmen next. Expect three basecoated goat faces this week. That's all I have primed and good to go. =)

phreedh

Cheers Steve! With "rough" I was referring to the finish of the metals, the gold in particular is a bit chunky here and there.

Might have to do with the fact that some of those models were primed white, base coated in a crazy colour scheme, over painted with black and THEN painted. =)

phreedh

I finished up a few beastmen the other day, but I'm posting them here in the wip-thread as the bases aren't done yet. Pretty happy with how they turned out.

wip-chaos_4.jpg

Fun fact of the day - ever noticed that the beastmen are veritable dick heads when viewed from above? :)

And yup, those are gold horns and hooves. They didn't have much detail to pick out in gold and I started painting them right after I had read a chapter on beastmen from one of the RoC books (as reproduced in White Dwarf). It mentioned how some beastmen even had metallic furs in copper, bronze or gold. As horns = hair and hooves = horn material, I figured they could just as well have gold horns. And hooves. That's the requirement to fit on the team. =)

phreedh

DaImp":d26rk2ol said:
These are looking great Phreed. I particularly like the pale (albino?) beastman.
Yup, I think he's my favourite too - though I like the bronzed blonde too! They're VGC Pale Flesh on the albino, Tallarn Flesh on the other chap (both shaded with Gryphon Sepia. The one in the middle is Dwarf Flesh shaded with Ogryn Flesh. I'll try to do all the beastmen in slightly different skin tones. It always annoyed me how homogenous they were on the box cover of the boxed team. I've got a few variants on caucasian skin (elf flesh, bronzed flesh) left and also intend to do one with grey skin and white fur, one wit grey skin and black fur.

Thants: Yeah, total knobs!

Harry

Very nice.
Can't tell my beastmen apart ...the different skin and hair colour will really make them individuals.
Nicely done.

Back