Suber's HeroQuest

Suber

Thanks, Diego! :)

As promised, here you have my AAR. Can't remember when I last played this game, but I guess it was about mid 90's, some of the expansions. Anyway, I was so eager to play this again! ::)

wgtiit.jpg

Doesn't look that impressive so fat, I know, know :grin:. Just give me some minutes... ;)
We tried the first scenario in the booklet, The Trial. he adventurers must explore the dungeon and eventually get to kill the Gargoyle.

5cnb6w.jpg

ng8w12.jpg

nc1kxx.jpg

As the rules are reeeally easy, I didn't have any problem catching them up again. That has become an issue for me, as it seems I have lost my ability to get any concentration on complex rulesets along the years :(. Fortunately this wasn't the case, all went smooth and easy :).

33a5v9k.jpg

The characters found the Gargoyle and tried to slain the beast

117zmoo.jpg

Using the power both of magic and sheer muscle

f2q1cy.jpg

Hooray!
As the game was so quick, we decided to play a second round ;). For that purpose we went on the second scenario, The rescue of Sir Ragnar.

zml6b7.jpg

Back to battle again!

5v51cw.jpg

As we were now familiar with the rules, the game was even quicker (not that it was difficult or anything, just having to manage a couple of rules :grin:)

2d0kz10.jpg

Will our heroes be able to rescue Sir Ragnar?

kb9185.jpg

By the skin of their teeth!

27y4p7d.jpg

You can find both (complete) reports in the blog:

http://oldschoolworkshop.blogspot.com.e ... t.html?m=0

I must say I enjoyed it just like the very first day. You may say it is nostalgia, but my mates were newcomers to the game and they pretty much enjoyed it too! So I can say HeroQuest still rocks 25 years later! :)

Suber

You thought you had seen my last on HeroQuest? Ha! :grin:

Once I had all my core game ended, it was time to get on the next stage of the project, the expansions! I have gathered the Ogres first. These models are a slight challenge for me, don't find them particularly easy, not having precisely a wide variety of poses or pieces. I was trying a different approach than the usual, the ugly-poor-bastard-giant-guys, using just a couple of brownish colours and nothing else. I had already gone through that way in the past, but I didn't want that this time. What if I tried a more civilized, distinguished style, just as the very box illustration suggests?

This is what I got with this new approach:

2pz9o2g.jpg

The use of arabesques and trimmings resulted in an interesting option. Suddenly it made the clothes look much more opulent and stylish, almost silky :razz:

ak7i38.jpg

Not really sure if the inspiration is just medieval European, Byzantine, Arabic or what, but it seemed to work...

j6sswj.jpg

2zgtb2d.jpg

2cfsjt3.jpg

So I guess It's a deal!

noebfc.jpg

http://oldschoolworkshop.blogspot.com.e ... s.html?m=0

My next step should be the Wizards (if I ever get to find all of them, I'll have to delve deep in my boxes...)

Subedai

Impressive detailing on those shirt patterns! With all those folds and bulges that must have been even more tricky.

Suber

Thank you very much, pals! Challenging as they were, I found quite a guilty pleasure in painting the patterns. Now I have a mental image of an Ogre army in some kind of One Thousand and One Nights style, all of them with these shirts :lol: (brr... scary!)

symphonicpoet

I would have guessed the inspiration for your shirt pattern was Midwestern American Tourist . . . which is to say me. I think I've owned half those shirts at one time or other. Very very nice job.

Suber

symphonicpoet":1ex1q4r8 said:
I would have guessed the inspiration for your shirt pattern was Midwestern American Tourist . . . which is to say me. I think I've owned half those shirts at one time or other. Very very nice job.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Didn't see that coming!

Suber

Back to the project again! You had already seen my Orc Shaman, but I still had to bring the rest. I've been able to find both the High Mage and the Storm Master within my old lost boxes, but haven't been able to find the Necrromancer, I needed some eBay help... sigh.

Nevermind, here they are!

30c9c7m.jpg

8zmu4x.jpg

2qicvh1.jpg

The four of them:

vzhrx1.jpg

http://oldschoolworkshop.blogspot.com.e ... id-it.html

The mercenaries also came in that expansion set. I've been able to find the minis, but still trying to locate all the weapons, they keep on appearing wherever but where I expect them to be!

Suber

Thank you! I still have to finish the mercenaries; I've found enough weapons, so I'll get my hands on them anytime soon(ish)

Suber

Just a month later! :grin:

It took me some time to muster again all the minis and enough weapons, but I finally somehow managed to get this:

d5hrc.jpg

25hfwbm.jpg

No complicated features, as usual, just an efficient paintjob, enough to deploy them on the board.

30w6vsp.jpg

Besides, I found this other gentleman in one of my bits boxes; he looks more than ready to lead the mercenaries to glory or death (or both!)

rtg7f6.jpg

With these I have finally painted all the original minis, both from the core game and all the expansions. Hooray! :razz:

http://oldschoolworkshop.blogspot.de/20 ... age-2.html

At some point in the future I must begin to look for alternative minis in the Oldschool fashion to expand the ranges. That will come, that will come...

Back