More depraved violence on the pitch!

Thantsants

I thought I'd jump on the old Blood Bowl band wagon!

Not just because I have shiny-itus real bad but also because an old mate of mine has been in touch and revealed he has a human team (he's called them the Golden Boars) and enlisted the services of the Mighty Zug and Griff Oberwald.

I've been gaming a bit of 40K (5/6th ed. I think as he's only a whipper snapper ;) - I'll be re-educating him in the ways of RT when I can) but as he's only gone off and joined the army he's not often back up in York these days.

Anyway he's back on the 30th March so the challenge has been set...

Here's my team - Dark Elves :twisted:

100_1173_zps451c4656.jpg

I had had some thoughts about creating my own team - The Wasteland Wanderers - but I'm rather taken with the Darkside Cowboys back story and colour scheme as well.

Hmmm which to go with?

Might have to see about getting my astro-granite pitch painted up too seeing as how I'm off for half term next week :mrgreen:

Hetz

Yeah I was in a similar quandary with my DElves. Very tempted by the Cowboys as I love the name. I've temporarily solved the problem by not actually painting anything :grin: I think I'll prolly end up creating my own team eventually as I wouldn't want to face another Darkside Cowboys team - just seems wrong.

Harry

How about the Westside Jets. :grin:
(They are good players but keep randomly bursting into song).

Great to see more Oldbowl....look forward to seeing these done.

I have half a dozen spares of these guys if there were any you were looking to expand your team ... they may be amongst the ones I have.

phreedh

I wrote a post, but it got eaten by the interwebs apparently...

What are you doing for witch elves, runners and assassins? Or will you punish yourself by playing 2nd edition? Please don't.

Thantsants

Good solution Hetz ;)

I think I may go with my Wasteland Wanderers for the same reason - reminds me a little of my good old home County and Bolton Wanderers. Not that I followed them as I can't stand football! Bolton was/is a bit of a wasteland though!

Than again I do like the Cowboys...

Cheers Harry, but I'm only a little less rabid in my hatred of musicals than that which I harbour for football! :lol:
If you have any variants of the Blitzers or Linemen that I don't have in the pic I could be most interested :mrgreen:

Sorry to hear that Phreedh - damn annoying I know.

As for 2nd ed. - I have the hair shirt ready and the lash made of stinging nettles :grin:
I did cajole one of my younger brothers into a "quick" game a while back and was amazed at how many dice rolls you had to make. Since then I've procured a 3rd ed. rulebook and some nice dice from the NAF :grin:

I also have a full 3rd/4th(?) ed Dark Elf team that I haven't managed to trade away - not keen on the minis for some reason and they're pretty chunky compared to the 2nd ed. guys. I do have a couple of Witch Elves in that team that I may borrow though. Also got one of the old Marauder Assassins - spry looking fellow with a massive punch dagger and a rather fetching posing pouch so he may get enlisted too. Not sure about runners though...

Harry

Not a fan of musicals either.

I have blitzer 3 and Lineman 3 that you do not appear to have.

phreedh

For runners, may I suggest using the Kickers? They have a runner-y look to their stance.

The 3rd edt witch elves are way too big. I'm sure there are alternatives from 3rd party suppliers such as Impact. Let me know what you find, I need some too. Started cutting up two cheerleaders a few years back but that sort of fizzled.

You do know the current rules are available freely from GW, right? And have gone through quite some change since 3rd edition? =D Google "Blood Bowl competition rules" and you're good to go! There is no reason what so ever to play older editions, BB is one of the few GW games that actually got better with each revision. =)

What you need from a 3rd edt box is the board, dug out boards, turn markers etc, block dice and throwing template. And of those, only the template and dice are hard to proxy yourself. Scatter template is pointless, as is the throw-in template. Download rosters to print yourself, the ones supplied by GW are naff.

Cast up an astrogranite pitch in Hirsts... I know you want to. =)

Hetz

e6e6495c-8af1-4b5c-a50b-cdc8c1c9a2ef_zpsab5592ae.jpg

I plan on using two of these as assassins. The gunner and spotter will have daggers added to their left hands. For witch elves I'm just gonna use standard 3rd edition witch elves. I agree with Phreedh, the kickers look like good runners.

I also agree that current Bloodbowl rules are easily better than the older editions.

Just my thoughts, hope they're of some help.

bug16

phreedh":2b1qxyzr said:
The 3rd edt witch elves are way too big.

There are some 2nd edition female Dark Elves that might fit the bill. There's a couple in particular (I'm at work and SOL is blocked..), both with two knives, that could easily be converted into either players or cheer leaders. I've got a LOT of unpainted spare 2nd/3rd edition DE models available for trade if interested (putting them up here for trading is on my list of things to do).

Ti Pouchon

Looking forward to seeing the Dark Elves in full panoply. A fine collection of minis you've got there!

The old Marauder Witch Elves - every time I see them on the evilbay, I put a bid in and every time they get snatched away... very elusive set. And I want 16 of them. Fortunately, the corresponding project is so far down the pipeline that I'll have all the time in the world to be patient and wait for an opportunity to collect these gals.

Thantsants

Phreedh - those BB Witch Elves are too big :mad:

I quite like the look of Kaylee from Hasslefree. :razz:

I know she's not an Elf and not as spiky/OTT as some Witch Elves, but could be good as some kind of Witch Elf star player - could come up with some good fluff for her sartorial choice...

There's some other good humans there too.

Shadowforge look ok too.

As for runners, I may use the catchers as well as they don't appear on the newer rosters.

Definitely up for making a pitch and dug outs - is there much difference in the size of the 2nd ed. and later pitches? Any useful references as to the size of dugouts?

I had a look at the Living rule book a while back - is that about as up to date as you get? Must admit I do love the look and feel (if not gameplay!) of the earlier editions - the Companion and Star Player books are full of great stuff.

I've got the block dice but need to track down/make some templates myself...

Hetz - good plan with the Bolt thrower crew - I've got a few 3rd ed. Witch Elves who might lose weapons and join the team. I think I have the one you mention Bug :grin: I've also got a wizard who might make an appearance as head coach or even, wait for it, as a wizard!

Cheers Ti - my maruader Assassin should make a good stand in for the BB assassin. Not sure if his punch sword is a little big to smuggle on to the pitch though. He's much more flamboyant than the cloaked fellas. I'm tracking down some Marauder Witch Elves myself...

Should be able to get some pics up later of the team with base coats - I went with the Wasteland Wanderers in the end and came up with my own colour scheme.

Oh another question had - is there any kind of system for numbering the players? Do certain positions have numbers from a certain range or does it not really matter?

Thantsants

Righto - pics of the base coats.

They look a little crappy at the mo so I can't wait to get some highlights and washes on them...

100_1179_zps50705d2c.jpg

The day-glo green I intend to highlight up to look like jade - possibly with some marble type veins of a darker/contrasting colour. The dark blue will also end up considerably lighter and the skin will be made to look quite pale and palid. I noticed some 2nd ed. teams featured in the rulebooks had blue skin but I'm afraid I like them to have normal-ish flesh colour (and my Orcs to be green :mrgreen: ), although I may experiment with a very pale blue ink wash to tint it ever so slightly for that subterranean, unhealthy look...

axiom

Promising looking DE. Personally I think models look at their worst at this stage, but these look neat; I'm looking forward to the results :)

Ti Pouchon

Why, I don't think they look crappy at all - on the contrary. The gold trim around the pauldrons' edges is very impressive.
I'm waaay to messy to paint like this - I have to shade and highlight every colour seperately.
Also: very effective choice of colours. I'm planning to paint my elves Jade green as well but was planning on combining it with brown. Your blue looks better...

Thantsants

Most kind of you both :grin:

I must admit Ti that I usually end up touching up the odd bit here and there that I've messed up.

Here's another shot with some highlights and washes - there will be more...

100_1276_zpsb8d6a5b3.jpg

and with a few possible minis for the Witch Elves, Assassin and Wizard

100_1279_zpsf384356a.jpg

My only problem with the Marauder Assassin is the slight difference in size rather than his Rock Star attire! Never really understood why any self respecting assassin would go around in that hood and cloak that just screams out "I'm up to no good - probably a thief or assassin or some such ne'er-do-well!"

Erny

Now I've not been posting on these oldbowl topics because I'm not really a blood bowl person, not because I don't think they look great because they do.

Looking at these dark elves I'm a little jealous, perhaps I'm missing out here, anyway more on topic.

If you are considering taking a knife to some of the old marauder witch elves I have maybe five or more that for some unknown reason my brother removed the weapons from in the past. I'm talking about the M73/1 girls not the later eyesores. If your interested I'd consider a swap say 6 of mine to 5 of yours or however the numbers work out. No point cutting up good lead when its already been done and not used. They come in much slighter then the assassins.

Thantsants

Cheers Erny - that would be a great solution. :mrgreen:

I think I'd be after 2 rather than 6 and I just so happen to have a few Marauder Witch Elves not pictured here. I've also just received another 4 of the Citadel female Dark Elves, including a duplicate of the nice young lady with the big choppers pictured here. I'll pm you when I've got pics sorted.

I do rather like these Bloodbowl Dark Elves - so much so that I've ended up expanding my small DE warband of Cold One Riders, Marauder regiment troopers, Crossbows, Repeater Bolt Thrower and Shades. :roll:

Thanks
Steve

Back