Protist's works progressive

Show us what you are working on at the moment

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:01 pm

Re: Protist's works progressive

Love the Dark Elves - the colour balance is spot on.

Post Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:23 pm

mbh wrote:I appreciate the write up :D

Lol, hope it helps mate. Don't worry, it didn't take too long to write but I'm a scrappy sort of painter, so its good to try and to explain it to someone before I forget what I did and mess around trying to recreate it on another model!

ThrudBarbarian wrote:Love the Dark Elves - the colour balance is spot on.

Ta!
Protist's Works Progressive: Paint-hammer in progress thread, hosted right here on the forums
Lead Hammer is my blog, charting a personal, wandering course through the world of miniatures
Unfortunately I have lost all my photos - since I let my old web-host lapse - I'll get them all back again sometime in the new year :roll:

Post Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:56 pm

Some really nice work on here. The blending is way more than I'm prepared to do (as i'm a bit lazy), but it's really worth the effort.

Post Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:18 pm

The Fat Git wrote:Some really nice work on here. The blending is way more than I'm prepared to do (as i'm a bit lazy), but it's really worth the effort.

Thanks! Its a fair point about blending, but I have kept it to a minimum on these guys since my patience and available time for army scale painting is fairly limited. Wet blending is faster than working in layers on many occasions so I wouldn't discount it.

I wanted to add a quick heads up that I have now set up a blog called Lead Hammer, dedicated to my journeyings with old lead, older lead, and even new lead. I will be going into more detail about the models I'm working on, and have written up a couple of posts about some of those that have appeared in this thread already. Worth checking out? That's up to you. Needless to say that as I progress with it I will be looking in more detail about the painting and modelling side of things than I will on the forums, as well as other Oldhammer related musings and info. Enjoy!
Protist's Works Progressive: Paint-hammer in progress thread, hosted right here on the forums
Lead Hammer is my blog, charting a personal, wandering course through the world of miniatures
Unfortunately I have lost all my photos - since I let my old web-host lapse - I'll get them all back again sometime in the new year :roll:

Post Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:21 pm

Just a quickie - that one's for chico - with thanks to McYellowbelly for providing these two, currently WIP, minis:
Dechala (or something) that I will be using as a summoned demon for my Dark Elves - six arms, angry, snake, female - what could be more dangerous :twisted:

And a Dog Lion, or Temple Dog, or Foo Dog... whatever its from Wargames Supply Dump and I think its a pretty good model, and a lot cheaper than the old Citadel one:
Chunky though, pretty chunky ;)
There's a bunch more rambling on my blog about them (see my signature... the second entry "Lead Hammer", YEAH!)

Post Tue May 26, 2015 9:19 pm

Time for another update - AT LAST - you all cry at once :lol:
Yeah, it seems to be about once a month at the moment - but fear not, busy have I been, if a tad quiet.

So, this is where I'm up to with the army as a whole I like to arrange them all for my own viewing pleasure and to give me some motivation to crack on! I highly recommend it ;)
Not a bad collection I think (I'm feeling rather proud of my efforts right now!)

I should point out that I've been getting up at silly hours of the morning just to get a 30-45min painty-time session in before work. Those, and a few weekend hours snatched here and there, have been my only real chance to paint. Hence the pride I feel in my achievements 8-)

Here's the two warrior units awaiting one or two more basing sessions and some varnish. 21 models strong apiece, to make a cool looking 7x3 frontage - I'm a sucker for 'that' look! I have more warriors to paint still, only god knows why but I must paint more elfies!

The Marauder Witch Elves are coming along nicely, with their sorceress hag leading them into the fray:
I think I might need to add some texture to the hag's tattoos still - its a little thin. Need I extend it over her face? I didn't in case it got too confused but maybe I should go for it?
The shiny black of the boots is probably overkill, but I think its not a priority at the moment and will leave it til a later date to highlight them properly

Also been working on some Black Tree Design Elf Crossbows:
Not bad at all - and currently in production! I'm tempted to get a block of their spearmen or axemen too now... but it would be way over my current budget!

Finally there's been progress on a contingent of mercs - Nipponese Ashigaru longbows. These guys are so quirky - I love 'em :)
I'd love to write up a Fantasy Armies style list for Nippon and get a whole Dixon's Samurai army together. This would be financially unfeasible too right now :cry:

Hope you like them and do feel free to post up some criticisms - positives and negatives are most welcome indeed. As ever there is more info on my blog (check my signature below for details!)

Post Wed May 27, 2015 12:47 pm

Wow, sir. Simply impressive. The colour combination and the overall effect is great!

Post Wed May 27, 2015 3:06 pm

Great colours. THe army is progressing.

Post Wed May 27, 2015 3:11 pm

That Dark Elf army really is stunning. I just love the green-ish metal and the red bits to set it off. Lovely stuff.

Post Wed May 27, 2015 4:39 pm

Army looks supurb, the muted blues really work.
PreviousNext

Return to WIP