Protist's works progressive

Show us what you are working on at the moment

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:21 am

Re: Protist's works progressive

Thanks guys, glad you like 'em.

Optimus, basing is done with a rough mix of 95% horticultural sand (very, very fine) + a dash of builder's sharp sand for the larger bits.
Grass is all from Mininatur/Silflor, railway modellers is their main market I think. I found typical wargaming flock to be way too long and nasty coloured mixes so I got hold of their 'moss flock' pack, four 15g bags of 0.5-1mm flock, and make mixes from those.
The tufts are also Silflor, from their 4mm two colour range, and 2mm single colour tufts. I got fed up with my soldiers wading through a sea of gigantic reeds. And they cost £4.50 for 30cm x 8cm strips, which is incredibly cheap - I suspect they make most of the flocks available; ie. Army Painter's 6mm tuft sheets are the same price but about 1/4 of the size... :roll:

Subedai, glad you like the markings on the hydra - the scales are scultped so roughly I figured he'd need more definition to break up the surface. Do you think I should strengthen the dappled effect on the necks though - it hasn't come out looking very obvious but maybe that's a good thing?
Protist's Works Progressive: Paint-hammer in progress thread, hosted right here on the forums
Lead Hammer is my blog, charting a personal, wandering course through the world of miniatures
Unfortunately I have lost all my photos - since I let my old web-host lapse - I'll get them all back again sometime in the new year :roll:

Post Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:50 am

Protist wrote:Subedai, glad you like the markings on the hydra - the scales are scultped so roughly I figured he'd need more definition to break up the surface. Do you think I should strengthen the dappled effect on the necks though - it hasn't come out looking very obvious but maybe that's a good thing?

I have to admit I hadn't noticed it before, now that I press my nose to the screen I see the dapples. I think they'd look just right in person, if they were more pronounced they would become too dominant a feature in my view.
My Oldhammer blog: The Lost and the Damned

Post Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:56 pm

Darn it, I simply lack the time to take photos, check light, crop, re-scale and upload... but decided it was about bloody time to pull the finger out. Here we go with a major update of my 'Works Progressive' (and its not just dark elves this time).

Bought him on a whim many moons ago, so got a bunch of placcy marines just to make him some friends. 'Bout time I did him justice (base is temporary, in case you couldn't tell :lol: )

Thought a close-up of the chaos warriors would be in order, since they've only been seen in the background so far (I think?)
Just some touch ups to do now so I'm happy.

Old minis that had been over-painted into detail-less, green blobs. "No more," they cried "WE SHALL BE YELLOW!"

Bought on ebay since i think they're generally excellent sculpts, would make a useful 'peacemaker' force for sci-fi/post-apoc games. Not so keen on the sergeant's sculpt though he does the job. Y'know, mean stare, big ass sword, gun in your face pose. Na, I'm not convinced :roll:

Give him a base and call it done. Had some fun with this paint-job. Love the model, and the new tail works well enough I think. Rather looking forward to letting him out of the cage to reak havoc upon (or run away from :lol: ) some unsuspecting dwarves.

...And on with the dark elves ravaging, rampaging, raiding... er Ravagers!
Getting there. Weird scaling, weird sculpting, weird model. Charming? Hmmm, hope so, I've got two more to get done!

Finally snapped up an ebay lot of old citadel horsies + the elven hero and high elven/melnibo. rider (both missing weapons). Add some other horses and left-over/converted spares for riders I had knockin' around and I think this should make a neat light cavalry unit with a cool-cucumber of an elfy lordling. Did the first pass on one horse to test out dappling. Its hard to achieve a good effect.

Some Marauder crossbows (or repeater x-bows). Cool models, just get some bases done and they're playable. I'd like to work more on the boots and bow textures still though.

Grrr, woof. Need to add some grass.

Found the bastard - at last - for peanuts on ebay. He is nearly ready to join the ranks and make up the first completely finished unit in the army. Phew, I might actually be getting somewhere at last :lol:

Told you I'd been saving it all up for a rainy day. If you could take all that in at once, let me know what you think. ;)
All ideas for the crossbow's banner design are welcome.
Protist's Works Progressive: Paint-hammer in progress thread, hosted right here on the forums
Lead Hammer is my blog, charting a personal, wandering course through the world of miniatures
Unfortunately I have lost all my photos - since I let my old web-host lapse - I'll get them all back again sometime in the new year :roll:

mbh

Post Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:33 pm

I love your stuff and I agree with the bolt thrower being a weird model. I have three and don't know what to do with them.

Could I bother you for a few painting tips? I love the skin tones on the marine and dark elves. I'm also dying to know how you were did that gold/bronze looking chaos warrior.

Post Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:24 am

Sure, Mbh, no trouble. Glad you like them.

The marine was painted Tallarn Flesh (old Foundation goopy paint - i'll be screwed when it runs out), washed with Bestial brown/Scab red mix thinned down. Then layered with Tallarn + a bit of the wash mix to give it a more pinky colour and help with transition. Next add a touch of that new mix to some Dwarf flesh (perhaps 1:3, tallarn/wash:dwarf flesh) and then again add some of that new mix to elf flesh (probably 1 part to 4-5 parts elf flesh). Each layer is painted very thinly 2-3 times, and blended out over the larger, smoother areas.

The Dark Elves I wanted something a little unnatural so mixed some GW dark purple (is it called Warlock or something else?) into Tallarn flesh and then 2 layers, one of purple/tallarn mixed 50:50 with dwarf flesh, then mix a spot of that into Elf flesh. After the first, Dwarf flesh, layer I usually give the models a bit of a focused wash into some of the recesses (mouth, under cheekbones etc), thinning the paint and knocking away excess on some paper (basically juicing, but not so thinned). I have varied this method of purple skin up a little on different models, trying slightly paler (ie less purple used across the board) or slightly purpler. The 'character' models will get a final highlight on brightest bits with Elf Flesh + VMC pale sand (white would work, use a smidgen less though!)

The bronze/ochre armour is basecoated with something like VMC Chocolate Brown + Bestial brown then juiced and layered up through increasing amounts of bestial, snakebite and VMC Pale and/or Dark sand paints (though any off white/sandy colour could be used). I may well have used something like Cam Black Brown (Vallejo) to deepen the recesses - don't remember now but I use it a lot because its a good, dark neutral colour! Some parts I started with VMC Burnt Umber and layered and juiced up to VMC Pale sand, giving that greyer, almost platinum, colour (the dragon face crest is done this way).

Post Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:25 am

Wow, pretty impressive work, I love how you deal with skintones and... well, everything!

Post Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:38 am

Wow, this is great, you manage to get a lot of colours but with the desaturated tones to make them very pleasant to the eye. Really top job here, be it on oldies or newer stuff. I love it.

Post Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:05 pm

Thanks guys, glad they're making a good impression :)

Its funny that I always get picked out as a de-saturated or 'gritty realism' style painter, yet its not something I aim for, consciously. Perhaps its the way I prefer to work blends/layers together, mixing in a little of the previous stage's leftovers to tie the next shade in; I guess it knocks the brightness down a notch? Or that I don't go overboard with highlighting and smoothing stuff, preferring to look at creating texture rather than shiny bling (I hate really smooth paint work on everything; its a lie, a LIE I tell you!) Perhaps I should stop analysing and questioning it and simply carry on painting :roll:

mbh

Post Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:34 pm

Protist wrote:Sure, Mbh, no trouble. Glad you like them.

The marine was painted Tallarn Flesh (old Foundation goopy paint - i'll be screwed when it runs out), washed with Bestial brown/Scab red mix thinned down. Then layered with Tallarn + a bit of the wash mix to give it a more pinky colour and help with transition. Next add a touch of that new mix to some Dwarf flesh (perhaps 1:3, tallarn/wash:dwarf flesh) and then again add some of that new mix to elf flesh (probably 1 part to 4-5 parts elf flesh). Each layer is painted very thinly 2-3 times, and blended out over the larger, smoother areas.

The Dark Elves I wanted something a little unnatural so mixed some GW dark purple (is it called Warlock or something else?) into Tallarn flesh and then 2 layers, one of purple/tallarn mixed 50:50 with dwarf flesh, then mix a spot of that into Elf flesh. After the first, Dwarf flesh, layer I usually give the models a bit of a focused wash into some of the recesses (mouth, under cheekbones etc), thinning the paint and knocking away excess on some paper (basically juicing, but not so thinned). I have varied this method of purple skin up a little on different models, trying slightly paler (ie less purple used across the board) or slightly purpler. The 'character' models will get a final highlight on brightest bits with Elf Flesh + VMC pale sand (white would work, use a smidgen less though!)

The bronze/ochre armour is basecoated with something like VMC Chocolate Brown + Bestial brown then juiced and layered up through increasing amounts of bestial, snakebite and VMC Pale and/or Dark sand paints (though any off white/sandy colour could be used). I may well have used something like Cam Black Brown (Vallejo) to deepen the recesses - don't remember now but I use it a lot because its a good, dark neutral colour! Some parts I started with VMC Burnt Umber and layered and juiced up to VMC Pale sand, giving that greyer, almost platinum, colour (the dragon face crest is done this way).

I appreciate the write up :D

Post Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:00 pm

Love the Dark Elves - the colour balance is spot on.
PreviousNext

Return to WIP