Protist's works progressive

Show us what you are working on at the moment

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:54 am

Re: Protist's works progressive

Looking really nice there.

I'm loving those muted tones and its a great combination for Dark Elves. Nice to see something other than purple - heh.

That's a really interesting dragon too... where did it come from?

Post Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:46 am

Thanks!

Bluey - its a Ral Partha 'Sea Dragon' from cc1987 I think, but without the wings. I filled the lug-holes over, just behind the shoulders, and re-scultped the flaps to a distinctly average standard! Took me ages to track one down (in America) and the next day found a UK site that is selling them :cry:
Protist's Works Progressive: Paint-hammer in progress thread, hosted right here on the forums
Lead Hammer is my blog, charting a personal, wandering course through the world of miniatures
Unfortunately I have lost all my photos - since I let my old web-host lapse - I'll get them all back again sometime in the new year :roll:

Post Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:42 pm

Protist wrote:Thanks!

Bluey - its a Ral Partha 'Sea Dragon' from cc1987 I think, but without the wings. I filled the lug-holes over, just behind the shoulders, and re-scultped the flaps to a distinctly average standard! Took me ages to track one down (in America) and the next day found a UK site that is selling them :cry:

And the UK site is...? ;)

Lovely work on the army so far. The colour combination is gorgeous!

Post Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:20 pm

Beautiful stuff, the cold ones are great, the first green cold one, two from the left, can you share the colours you used for that?
It looks fantastic.
Image Image

Post Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:45 pm

axiom wrote:And the UK site is...? ;)

I can't remember :lol:
Chico mentioned it somewhere as a place he buys from so I checked it out to see their stock and was both chuffed and gutted to find some of the old Ral Partha stuff in their listings! I'll have to look around a bit more to see if I can find his post.

Aiteal wrote:Beautiful stuff, the cold ones are great, the first green cold one, two from the left, can you share the colours you used for that?
It looks fantastic.

Weeeelllll, I'm crap for structured painting methods I'm afraid. What I remember then - GW Orkhide Shade basecoat for sure. Then I definitely added VMC Emerald Green for the main midtone. After that layers and juices get a bit blurry for highlights. Could have been some GW Camo Green, maybe VMC Pale Sand, and perhaps... something with more yellow in - sorry I really don't remember but that's the sort of thought process I go through til I hit the right note!

I definitely added striped areas of scales using a GW Camo Green based set of colours once the rest was finished. This would again be highlighted with a touch more yellow to build contrast. I also think I gave the whole lizard a wash with Asurmen Blue since I have some knocking around - not my usual resort though!
Protist's Works Progressive: Paint-hammer in progress thread, hosted right here on the forums
Lead Hammer is my blog, charting a personal, wandering course through the world of miniatures
Unfortunately I have lost all my photos - since I let my old web-host lapse - I'll get them all back again sometime in the new year :roll:

Post Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:18 pm

Axiom, you can find them at Second City Games (linky!)

Post Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:18 pm

Really love the colour scheme of your Dark Elves!
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"

My painting blog - Chewing lead

Post Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:58 pm

Righty then, been out of the habit of photo-ing updates, with work being a slog... its the commute that's killin' me :cry:

I got my camera out and thought it'd be funny to show the appalling lack of paint-hygiene and sanity improving tidying that has occured on the workbench:
Holy **** can I actually work in this mess :shock:

aahhhh, that's better. I can now actually see that if I work on the bases and the second bolt thrower + crew I could actually take a good sized army to the gaming table and it'd look pretty sweet.

These guys are near as damn it done. Need to finish their leather gloves/boots/belts but that's minor; more major is to finish up all the remaining shields (4 or 5 I think to go) and decide what to do with weaponry (which extends to the entire army at the moment)

This monster arrived recently and, of course, got painted asap. More work on the eyes and job's a good'un

I've also started working up the banner for the cold one riders. She may be an army standard if I fancy it - its easily big enough! Not sure what to add but it needs something extra - any ideas?

And finally picked up a tailless (is that the right spelling?) red dragon by Mr Meier for the grand sum of £4. Win!
Now I have to make a new tail. Not so bad because I think mine might actually look a little better (but that's HERESY dammit!)

Post Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:17 am

Damn fine brush work there!

I really like the banner work & your basing technique looks quite realistic.....haven't seen grass done that good before!

I especially like the chaos warriors from the bottom left hand corner, great colour choice. That's the place that always stumps me with chaos dudes.

Looking forward to seeing more.
My Blog: Mr Papafakis
Stuff I'd like to have: Wishlist
Stuff I'd like you to have: Trades

Post Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:50 am

Great looking army, very sinister with its combination of subdued colours. The demonic banner emblem repeated on the shields is excellent. Also really like the markings on the hydra, I must try something similar for my reptilians.
My Oldhammer blog: The Lost and the Damned
PreviousNext

Return to WIP