Demon Frogman Eagle Warrior WIP

Thanks mbh.

Green is pretty near finished now, some minor tweaking and clean up will occur post BOYL, and the weapons will get some more attention before I am OK with them.
dsc_0854.jpg

I made a quick and dirty casting of it also. The details are softened a fair bit and the flash is nightmarish but it gives a fair approximation of what the finished article will look like. A professional caster would sort those issues out in a Space Marines twin heartbeat no doubt. I will slap on some paint to tart it up a bit (i.e. when it is not 2am)!

dsc_0860.jpg

dsc_0858.jpg

dsc_0857.jpg

dsc_0863.jpg

dsc_0867.jpg

dsc_0866.jpg

This is actually the first mini I have sculpted in 28mm (I did two 10mm Frogmen ages ago for Warmaster) so it is fairly safe to assume that the next ones will be better.

axiom

For your first 28mm sculpt its stunning! He looks suitably mean and hulking - you should be very satisfied with the results :)

Asslessman

:shock:

OK, so basically, now you've just sculpted and casted your own model, you just have to :

[ ] go back in the 80's and play with the Guns 'n Roses
[ ] do that thing with the asian twins

left before you access godhood right?

(if you've already ticked thos out of the list, we'd better start building temples).

I am sorry but the awesomeness of the achievment eclipses the high standards of quality and the fact it was a first for you.

Mr Saturday

Epic Sean. That's pretty much the pinnacle of the converters art, stepping over into sculpting from scratch. He looks great, I can't wait to see a bunch painted.

Thanks lads :grin:, I will throw some paint on him tonight and see what it looks like. He is a big bruiser this fellow, I will make the rank and file Frogmen smaller than this guy. I am thinking to do the Ork style size thing where the more senior the Frogman the bigger the model. A general level guy would be a bit bigger than this guy again - just like the Slann general in the Warhammer Armies picture:

tumblr_n2eajd1ISA1r1g40zo1_500.jpg

This means that the HUGE Slann mage models will not look so out of place. I need to spend the next several weeks focusing on the painting for BOYL so the Frogmen will have to take a back seat for the moment but this guy will certainly show up in the Slann army I am bringing along. Now that I have a better idea about the sculpting of these guys the next stage is to work on creating some smaller basic trooper level guys and some blowpipe armed ones would be great. I do want to revisit the Eagle Warriors again and create at least 2 more like this one with more weapons and possibly some command options before I begin look at the other totem warriors (or anything else in the army list). As I had mentioned previously believe that I would need to have several models done to make pro-casting economic enough to offer to interested people at a reasonable enough price to make units of 20 or so affordable.

Asslessman":2ch06jvu said:
:shock:

[ ] go back in the 80's and play with the Guns 'n Roses
[ ] do that thing with the asian twins

left before you access godhood right?

Can I just get D6 Chaos attributes from a god of my choice instead?

cheetor

Great stuff Seán, very impressive. Fantasy frogmen are not really my thing but I have to say that once I saw the big fella alongside the regular slann I appreciated the sculpt a whole lot more.

Well done. Are you going to get it properly cast and make it available for sale? If so then I will definitely buy one and paint it on principle (although I might give him a ray gun first...).

Cheers Paul/Dave, I would be very interested to see what you guys do with the painting on them. It's really cool the way you can sculpt something, get it cast and then watch as ace painters take it to new and interesting places. The model in my head is very much like viewing it on ancient monitor technology (40 shades of green). I don't actually think about the colours at all when I am working on it being obsessed with form only.

I plan on getting him cast up but need to produce a few more of his ilk to make it economic, this guy took me about a month so it would likely take me a few more months assuming that I reasonably increase in speed. The modular nature of the hand design is in part to allow me to produce some technology wielding variants but it is likely that the later sculpts I produce will be more apt for Sci-fi shenanigans being more armoured and less feathered. I must admin that I have a strong hankering to make a neruo disruptor for this guy. Once I get some dolly's (halfway point naked torso sculpts to speed up production) cast up there is no doubt that I will spend some time making a dedicated 40K scout type as I assume that would be quite a popular model on the forum. I do plan to focus primarily on the Frogmen rather than get too diverse sculpting other things.

Quick paint job on the prototype, nothing fancy just Army Painter Soft Tone to bring up the detail.

dsc_0878.jpg

Rear shot. Not the most imaginative use of colour on his headdress but it does the job. Note that there are a couple of issues I need to fix yet and that the details are relatively softened due to the low tech mould making procedure I am using.

dsc_0886.jpg

Cheers guys.

axiom":2kgnsbfw said:
Fantastic! I love the gold shod outer claws - nice touch.

:) you noticed that. One of the final bit of tweaking I need to do on him is to layer these outer claws out to create a sort of metal claw weapon to give him a nasty kicking attack that can penetrate armour, help him climb up dinosaurs to deliver death blows etc. I need to get some micro-beads to finish that bit of detail properly though.

Mr Saturday":2kgnsbfw said:
Nice. Love that face, he's like Kermit's psychotic uncle.

That made me lol, it's not easy being green.

cheetor":2kgnsbfw said:
There is a bit of Klegg DNA mixed in with Henson stuff there too I think.

Wow, I remember those guys! They do seem to have the same sort of winning smile all right. A bunch of 40K Slann with that sort of crazed vibe would be cool would it not. ;)

I note that the cold one hounds based on the Klegg hounds.

I love these models they are so sweet:

http://store.warlordgames.com/products/mercenaries-klegg-hounds/

Golgfag1

This has been on the back burner for sometime now, before it disappears into the long grass, how is it going Sean?

Paul / Golgfag1

Golgfag1":2cqxh61f said:
This has been on the back burner for sometime now, before it disappears into the long grass, how is it going Sean?

Paul / Golgfag1

Hi Paul :). Actually I have been planning to visit the Fantasy Frogmen very soon. I got sidetracked into making a set of Ork Alien Hybrids for the last year, you know how it goes with this hobby sometimes. On the plus side I am quite improved in skill level now so I feel a lot more confident about making models to do justice to the source material.

Chico, I actually made another 10mm Frogman:

blud2.jpg

But that's probably gotta take back seat until I make some big ones for Paul. ;)

Chico

Hmmmm I want them :0 any chance you can cast some up (50 or so) in exchange for some old lead for your collections :) Or even a Unreleased Cleric :)

Back