Demon Frogman Eagle Warrior WIP

Started working on this chap on Friday. He will be an Eagle Warrior when he is finished. Note that the face is only half completed at the moment and will be a little more built up on the front and on the eyelash area. I am using a combination of Slann source material (with heavy emphasis on the Blanche works) as well as the usual mezzo-american stuff. He will get the eagle helmet with some elaborate feathered plumage. I think I will skip the sandals, I never liked them much on the Slann models myself. I plan to give him the traditional macuahuitl and feathered shield:

dsc_0494.jpg

dsc_0498.jpg

Scale wise:

dsc_0469.jpg

Aiteal

Where's the like button this fecking website :)
Lovely stuff Sean, oldhammer needs more Slann!

axiom

Very cool, very promising! Looking forward to seeing this polish up as you progress with him :)

Thanks gentlemen. If he turns out well I might see about some mass production, I am still pretty green (if you will pardon the awful pun) at this sculpting lark. The world of Oldhammer certainly needs some decent Demon Frogmen that you don't have to trade a kidney for.

Did a wee bit more work on him, face is further along now. Not sure if I am doing the feathers the best way, but it is "a" way. They will look neater in the end. The original Eagle warrior had pretty poorly done feathers, it seemed to be a fairly rushed sculpt on top of a Slann brave. I want to try to get more texture onto this guy.

I am pleased with his facial demeanour, he comes across as being fairly keen to get stuck into the enemy. I have no idea if he is full of hate fueled angst or if that's just his biggest smile he always gives his opponent before combat.

You can see the start of the toes, he will get some claws to aid in balance and make him a bit more vicious looking. I might sculpt the hands as separate pieces holding the weapons, that would give some flexibility with being able to make a double handed weapon option...not sure how to deal with slinging the shield in that instance, well I guess we will figure that out later.

dsc_0511.jpg

dsc_0507.jpg

dsc_0510.jpg

dsc_0509.jpg

dsc_0508.jpg

Asslessman

I can definitely see the Blanche influence here. It's looking gorgeous ! Now I'm just trying to picture him in a pink and gold attire... This is going to look good!
Is he meant for the Oldhammer Legacy band or is he meant as a recruit in your army? (you can obviously skip this question if it is too personnal).

Cheers lads.

Asslessman":1ujbedgv said:
I can definitely see the Blanche influence here. It's looking gorgeous ! Now I'm just trying to picture him in a pink and gold attire... This is going to look good!
Is he meant for the Oldhammer Legacy band or is he meant as a recruit in your army? (you can obviously skip this question if it is too personnal).

He is my first attempt at providing a model for the Eagle Warrior troop type in the WH 3rd edition army list, nothing to do with the Oldhammer Lagacy - that one will be a one off conversion most likely.

The Eagle warriors are pretty important in that they are the highest level of Slann elite that can be fielded in a unit of 20 and therefore give a +3 rank bonus, thus they would usually form the core of an army. Unfortunately the one model they made for this role was not particularly good compared to some of the contemporary sculpts of Slann, I suspect that sculptor burnout or lack of interest in source material was to blame here.

Asslessman

I am both awed by the result so far and terrified by the patience this result must involve... :shock:

The head has just that mischievous look the old range lack.

Asslessman":1v9ntsdq said:
I am both awed by the result so far and terrified by the patience this result must involve... :shock:

The head has just that mischievous look the old range lack.

Indeed, some of them do look pretty flat and expressionless. There was a great illustration of a Slann locked in mortal combat with a Norse guy in a river which was at the back of my head when I was doing him, can't find it now of course!

I have decided that I will do the hands with weapons as separate pieces from the main body, this will allow the best tradeoff of flexibility of equipment and not compromise the pose of the figure - I can even add some 40K tech weapons that way.

Aiteal":p6mhyl19 said:
that's really starting to take shape
fantastic job :)

Cheers Aiteal. It tends to be slow going as I am working on it in the evenings but most of the groundwork is in place. I am looking forward to working on the helmet part. I am learning a lot in the process. You really get to see how early design decisions affect how you can go later on in the process. My changing the shape of the head from the GW Eagle Warrior changes the shape that the helmet will take a good deal, but it is probably a good thing as it was crazy wide compared to other models in the range. I will build the beak tonight and try to figure out how I will get the bottom part of the helmet to look convincing. Once the beak is in place I can start to decorate the top of it with some googly eagle eyes :grin:. I intend to give him a fair bit of plumage to exaggerate his height even more (as elite soldiers often do). Big frogmen in big headdresses ;) .

I am not exactly sure what way to go with the calves of the model. I really like the way foundry have done them, so I might follow suit (awful pun intended):

2012-02-05001-1.jpg

I may have to buy some of those Aztecs for close inspection.

IF SOMEONE HAS GOOD CLOSE UPS OF THE FOUNDRY AZTECS I WOULD APPRECIATE IT!

Kind of you to offer. To be honest I just need some close up picture of one of the models if you have that kind of power. The more I look at the foundry ones, the more I think that their style suits what I am going for here.

Aiteal

sure
i have those guys in a box somewhere
i'll dig them out tonight and prime/wash them if you like

Back