The Doom Forgers ... Harrys Dwarf team for Blood Bowl.

Harry

Hello sports fans .... you join us at an exciting point in this Dwarf on Dwarf Head to Head.
It is the start of the second quarter. The Doom forgers are 8 - 0 down to the Blood Axes who took an early lead ... by starting before the whistle. (Cheating b@stards that they are! ... lets not forget the tunnelling incident.)
The Blood Axes may be widely acknowledged as the best Dungeon Bowl team of all time but, after a hearty breakfast of beer and stake and ale pie the Doom Forgers are back in the game....and hoping to get some points on the board before needing to stop for second breakfast.
They may be short in height but this game will not be short on action. So crack open a beer and stay tuned sports fans.

Motivated by all the Oldbowl chat on the forum and inspired by the enthusiasm, conversions and painting of other members and in no small part my exchanges with Ti Pouchon, I have been moved to crack on with another Blood bowl Team.

I find it really motivates me to set myself little challenges and make deals with other posters to get things painted so in the spirit of friendly competition, motivation and encouragement for each other it seemed a good idea to challenge Ti pouchon to a head to head Blood Bowl team painting challenge.

He chose Dwarves and as it happens already has eight painted of the little fellas ... so has a small head start on me. but, known for my speed, I am not worried ... yet.

Our goal is to paint a 26 man team, that can work as either a straight Blood Bowl team OR a Dungeon Bowl team .... He is painting the Blood axes from the back of the Dungeon Bowl box. the other Team their with Dwarves in it are the Doom Forgers .... so as I had no strong feelings on a colour scheme for my dwarves ... it seemed to make sense to pick these guys. Also I have a few halflngs left over ... and I love the idea of werewolves....and Zara the slayer. (I don't know about you guys but Kate beckensale in Leather does it for me!)

Back in the room.

Here is the back of the Dungeon Bowl box ... and the starting point for this team.

dungeonbowlteams.jpg

So you can look forward to Dwarves, Halflings and Werewolves as this project takes shape.
I hope you enjoy this little project and I wish Ti Pouchon and the Blood Axes the best of luck.

Harry

So this is my starting line up:
I got up early and cleaned and based all the dwarves I could find.
(Sorry for the poor photos .... it was still dark outside).

002aln.jpg

and I have one of these that needs to be cleaned, built and based;

012dab.jpg

This is a few guys short (no pun intended) of the agreed 26 but a few coaching staff a couple of Halflings and a couple of Werewolves and we will be in business. I will crack on and start painting.

Ti Pouchon

Hmmm... it takes me about 1 hour to clean and base 6 dorfs...
My esteemed competitor has 18 cleaned and based by 9:15 in the morning...
HOLY BALLS, when did you get up?!? It's a Saturday, for crying out loud!
I'm making breakfast now, then off to the market, then I'll have the priviledge to accompany the Missus downtown and assist her in the purchase of several wardrobe items.

Also: wot, no Trollslayers? Gutsy line-up.

Harry

LOL
Well my father was a sheperd and as a lad growing up if I was to see him in the morning before he left the house for the day I had to get up at 6:00 with him for breakfast. As a result ... I have got up silly eary my whole life.
By 9:15 these were undercoated and I was painting the first colour. :grin:
I just didn't get around to posting this picture till 9:15 :grin:
I have a different arrangement with my wife. i earn the money and she spends it ... on the understanding that i don't have to go shopping. :grin:

I will be going troll slayers ... I just have not dug them out of the hobby room yet.
I knew where these guys were so I started with them.
Having said that ... never once did I choose ateam or an army list based on improving my chances of winning. :grin:
For me its all about the models ... if I can find models that fit ... there in! If I can't I would sooner loose than b@ll@x up the look of my team/army.

But I do have some slayers that are from this era ... so I am sure I will find a couple to bulk out my team.

Harry

By 9:15 they looked like this:

015qrq.jpg

So I like to work from a white undercoat most of the time.
Sometimes I do the black undercoat white dusting thing if I really want to do a number on a mini but mostly I just go with white.

Then I slapped a couple of coats of thin watery bleached bone on anything that was going to be 'white'. This only takes ten minutes I just slap it on and don't worry much about where it goes. Its so thin it will not obscure any details and it will be easy enough to paint over. I give it a couple of coats to avoid missing anything and get a more even coat. I don't use white much ... Not much in nature is actually 'pure brilliant white' so I rarely use it ... not even to mix highlights. I tend to start from bleached bone and highlight towards white. I even use bleached bone to lighten other colours for highlights. I like the creamy colours you get.

Bleached bone is one of my top five most used colours.... but then I have painted alot of skeletons. :grin:

Chico

I'm not a fan of the Dwarf sculpts, but i'm hoping with your fantastic painting that'll change my mind.

Harry

Well I like them a lot more than the next lot! :grin:
... and thats very nice of you to say ... I shall try to do my best for the poor lil fellas.

Sooo... having taken the dog for a walk, got shot of daughters sleepover friend, built solar powered robot with boy ...
I finally got the next bit of painting done.

If it is not going to be white it was black undercoated:

016uc.jpg

Next ... On with the metalics!

Thantsants

Apart from the sleepover and solar powered robot that all sounds rather familiar!

I quite like these little guys - I have the chainsaw fella and would love the bazooka guy (can't remember his name)

Looking forward to seeing them finished.

Harry

Hows your green stuff skills?
I have another one of that guy ... but he has had his face cut off and a beastmans face stuck in it's place ... he had been converted to be part of a chaos team ... (not by me ... he came with a mixed lot fo stuff I bought) would you like me to drop him in the stripper and see what the damage is? ... I was thinking the face of one of the plastic dwarves might fix him right up.

Harry

Grabbed another hour this afternoon.
Here they are with the first coat of metalics done.
From this point forward it all slows down a bit and I start working in smaller batches.

020plg.jpg

Thantsants

Not that great when it comes to sculpting faces! The plastic face transplant sounds a good idea but I think I've enough on my plate at the mo! ;)

Ta for the thought once more though :grin:

Coming along nicely, which reminds me I've been mucking about online for far too long and need to get some painting done today...

Ti Pouchon

So I come home from a shopping trip & dinner to find you having painted all of them? Just like that? What devilry is this?
Looks like it's going to be a very one-sided competition...

Harry

LOL ... well I have got some paint on some of them but all of them are a long way off being painted. It still remains 8-0
This is why I paint the whole batch with these first colours ... It kick starts a new project and makes me feel like I am half way there. In fact there is loads more to do than I have already done as everything slows down now. ... and that is before real life kicks in and I paint nothing for two weeks.

Ti Pouchon

Finally... I might get some work done this night... if I'm lucky. But instead of getting started, I'm dicking around online again.
For a reason! Of course, there is good reason! The rules for Zara and also the current dorf team set-up can be found here (just in case someone's missing out): http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_Cus ... _Rules.pdf

Enough dilly-dally! To work! The dorfs are calling!

DaImp

Looking great! :)

Come on Ti! Don't get psyched out, Harry hasn't even added any colour yet, just a series of undercoats designed to look like he has done some actual work. It's all a ruse I tell you! Loving the old Dwarves. I think they are great, better than the 3rd ed versions which look too much like converted Warhammer models than actual Blood Bowl players.

phreedh

Will be fun to see your take on the 'Forgers Harry! Looking good so far! Here are mine:

DSC_0657.jpg

Have another wolf and two halflings to do, and then I'm satisfied for my 16 man roster. Most of these were painted last year. One of the slayers was actually painted years ago though. I decided to not use Tallarn flesh for my halflings after seeing the ruddy complexion of the first one. Hence the lighter skin on Puggy. I'll try to pimp up #12 a bit too.

Harry

DaImp":142gsqek said:
Come on Ti! Don't get psyched out, Harry hasn't even added any colour yet, just a series of undercoats designed to look like he has done some actual work. It's all a ruse I tell you! Loving the old Dwarves. I think they are great, better than the 3rd ed versions which look too much like converted Warhammer models than actual Blood Bowl players.
LOL you are not wromg.
The real work happens this weekend.
Funny you should say that .... I actually converted mine into Warhammer models. :grin:

@P
Those are great, huge inspiration. In fact I can see I have gone the wrong way with my helmets and am going to do them painted not metalic.
Thanks for posting.

DaImp

I was wondering about the metal helmets. Wanted to see where you were going to go with them.

phreedh

Harry":2q3jkk2g said:
Those are great, huge inspiration. In fact I can see I have gone the wrong way with my helmets and am going to do them painted not metalic. Thanks for posting.
Cheers mate! Glad to return the favour of inspiration! =D

Did mean to ask btw, where are your halflings and werewolves? ;D

Harry

@Da Imp
I like using metals ... seems to add more texture.
But having seen Nico's NMM I may have to rethink that philosophy. :cry:

phreedh":1g3x0v9d said:
Harry":1g3x0v9d said:
Those are great, huge inspiration. In fact I can see I have gone the wrong way with my helmets and am going to do them painted not metalic. Thanks for posting.
Cheers mate! Glad to return the favour of inspiration! =D

Did mean to ask btw, where are your halflings and werewolves? ;D
I have a few left over halflings.
... and a cunning plan involving a some Reaper Bones werewolves.
Just thought I would make a start with the dwarves.
I did have a 2nd edition one somewhere ... but I can't find him. I may have traded him.

Back