Nurgle, in Time of Nurgle: A Play in 3 Parts

So here's my Nurgle stuff. This is actually what lit the fire of my crazy speedpainting during Covid. I divided the board into 3 sections. The left two are things I've painted during social distancing. The ones on the right, are all that remains of a Nurgle army which I painted circa 2005, mostly sold off, and have included for completeness' sake.

The lower left is what started the speedpainting. I was bored and we had only just begun to be stuck inside. So, to prove that 1) wargaming wasn't expensive and 2) Citadel Contrast were not the crazy new technology people made them out to be. They're just thick washes applied over color satin primer!

I did this by choosing what is usually agreed upon as the most expensive wargame (current 40k). I bought two core sets. I pieced out all the space marines, the duplicate Nurgle heroes, and the duplicate books, on eBay. What remained is over a 1,000 point army of fully statted out thingies with all the special rules, I need no other books to play with this army. So there you have it, total Freehammer 40,0000. Wargaming is only expensive as you make it be.

I invested my meager profits from this process in 6 bottles of Citadel Contrast. I used already owned silver and gold paint, and a can of light tan satin spray paint. No other paints were used in this army. My impression was, Contrast paint is helpful but not the miraculous new technology it gets made out to be. I've used this technique before, this just saves me mixing up specialized washes in old spice bottles.

And then. I got twitchy, having no speed painting of hordes to fill my evenings! Hundreds more models were dug out of the lead (and plastic?) pile and painted, as you have already seen.

The upper left are Nurgle models which I owned before Covid, but didn't paint until Social distancing. A champion and 2 units of demons for Oldhammer, or, an HQ and 2 Troops choices for current 40k. The Chaos Dreadnought is from the previous edition of 40k, it always looked Nurglesque to me so I got a friend to give me his spare and I painted it as rotten meat.

Eventually I'll add another HQ and Troops to the demons. I also have a squad of old Nurgle marines languishing in storage to add to the army on the right.

The demons have the best Oldhammer model of them so they go first!
QNYnfLp.jpg

Whoops! A cultist fell down! Nurgle must have given him too many blessings.
LGbSKKz.jpg

qNxkNBx.jpg

rbfuFgC.jpg

piWIjc9.jpg

obDznh9.jpg

XYXkaa3.jpg

qv0SGIf.jpg

Sleepysod

Some great old lead here (plus some newer stuff of course) and some nice paint jobs. Each time I read a thread I end up with a much bigger “want to buy” list. Nurglings now added to that list... :?

Sleepysod":cdj7lcri said:
Some great old lead here (plus some newer stuff of course) and some nice paint jobs. Each time I read a thread I end up with a much bigger “want to buy” list. Nurglings now added to that list... :?

Thanks. My favorite two plastic 2005 mutant conversions are missing, I think they left to be demons in Frostgrave.

The metal Nurgle champion is eventually going to lead a warband of rolled up ROC baddies, methinks.

The champions and such of all these old school warbands and metal contingents and whatnot will someday be pooled together into a big regiment of 12 zany old Chaos Warriors to start a Middlehammer chaos army.

Great project! I'm currently starting out a Nurgle force, after doing Khorne and Slaanesh. Similarly mine are all picked out of the leadpile as I'm not earning at the moment so everything has to be done on a budget.

I'm also finding Contrasts to be a great timesaver, as you say, they're just a thick/heavy wash, but they're easy to use and can give some interesting results, especially over metallics.

Back