RT Tyranids

So here's my old style tyranids. Most of these I painted back in the mid 2000's but last night I finally got around to painting my 3rd base of squigs and my zoat. I am basically just inspired by trying to more or less recreate the army shown in the 'Eavy Metal battle scenes that I pored over as a teenager in the 2nd edition color pages. The "hive tyrant" is just a metal warrior with BOTH weapon options! It's also the only model not painted by me, it came with that paint job and I just let it. I also have a Genestealer Cult with 20 purestrain 'stealers to bulk up the numbers of a Tyranid Swarm list if I'd need to.

Someday I'd like to get a 2nd edition hive tyrant but I don't really care that much. I'd love to get 3 more bases of squigs but that's not gonna happen at today's prices. Most of my squigs came from the collectors range in the 2000's.

I still have to add a couple details, and fix a couple mistakes, on the zoat.

1kCxO62.jpg

s6dzfv1.jpg

naodHXW.jpg

9Ze51Xl.jpg

Yeah but I am just going for "close enough" regarding the sculpts of the termagents/hunter-slayers: I have 8 plastic, 2 metal, and no interest in painting any more! I don't recall any other models (mindslaves) being in the 2e rulebook colour pages.

Also, I ran out of "real" squigs and had to include a Necromunda monster. Don't tell! Also, two of the squigs on that base are from Warmaster!

I actually have 3 more millasaurs, and precisely 3 spare plastic spiders, so it's possible I'll use them to start 3 more bases if I can find 9 genuine metal squigs to make up the numbers.

zedmeister

These are Mindslaves:

tyranids%2Bmind%2Bslaver.JPG

Best thing about them is they could be any model and could be a mishmash. Squats and Eldar and Guard and Marines in a single unit. Convertors dream unit!

symphonicpoet

That's really quite a lovely army you have going on there. :) The red era tyranids were never my favorite, as I always preferred the earlier, somewhat less defined incarnation. (Where they tyranids themselves were what would later become the . . . termagants? The little ones. I think they were also later called hunter-slayers. The mini-stealers with guns.) Maybe I need to re-read the fluff, but I like what you've done with the models. And even if I never quite fall in love with the fluff, maybe I can at least come to terms with the models. Nicely done!

twisted moon

symphonicpoet":uonx923x said:
I always preferred the earlier, somewhat less defined incarnation. The little ones.

i'm with you on that. they're a proper fit for the rogue trader description of the core species.

Back