RT Blood Angel Army

Hi,
I am making some old Blood Angels. I have painted a tactical (lead!) squad and looted an ASC plastic scout squad from my 2nd edition Blood Angels army. I have another unpainted such scout squad and to swap it back out with someday. So that's enough squads to make 1,000 point army. I also have 5 lead heroes: A general, a chaplain, and 3 figures I need help identifying! Once all those are painted I will have a good cadre of 5 heroes, 2 squads, and soon, a LEADNOUGHT. The creep dinosaur grinning one! That will give me 1,000 points using a proxy list. Then I'll add squads till it hits 2k points and wrap up the army probably. If i could get my hands on an old Rhino I'd add that too, but I'm not holding my breath. Like a lot of people, I am using the quarantine to speedpaint my many hundreds of long neglected minis. Better to have a very basic paintjob, than to languish in storage forever.

Tac squad:
LkLxNNu.jpg

Closeup:
LL5xPof.jpg

Scouts:
z8giKBv.jpg

I need help identifying these guys. I tentatively plan on using them, from left to right, as an apothecary, librarian, and techmarine. Pretty sure my "apothecary" is just a trooper though.
nRaFbVN.jpg

WQjaktI.jpg

Humby50

Greetings!
They look really cool, love the clean paint jobs. I can help out with the unidentified models.

Right to left-Brother Craig, Brother Ward and Communications Officer Wendall (sometimes listed as Orinoco). You'll find them in the attached adverts from back in the day.

http://imgur.com/a/3aouSYs

http://imgur.com/a/L8F2eMY

None of them are apothecaries/techmarines/librarians but I can't see any reason why they couldn't be used as such.

Best of luck, keep on trucking with the army!
Nick

Orjetax

These look good, and I completely agree that getting stuff painted is more important than perfection!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I just kinda thought the guy with the scanner or whatever it is, and loads of pouches on his belt, looked medicy to me. And the sword looked like a good Force Sword for a psyker. And the brainbox, and desktop computer strapped to the vambrace of the last guy, just seemed like a techmarine sorta thing to do. I figure the "color coded" paintjobs will sell it.

Orjetax":1bk9q5e8 said:
These look good, and I completely agree that getting stuff painted is more important than perfection!

The scouts were painted probably 7 years ago in a bout of slow and steady disciplined painting. The tactical squad was painted very rapidly. I am ashamed to say it was done with contrast paint. I've painted about 300 figures since the Covid hit us.

symphonicpoet

I think you're quite right that color coded paint jobs will absolutely sell them. All three of those doubtless predate the more "official" librarian/techmarine/medic models, though there were paint suggestions at least for the medic from way back in RT. (Also field police, which I take to be a kind of early commissar idea.) Anyway, lovely stuff all! Keep up the good work and looking forward to more. :)

They're slowed down for awhile. My wife wants me to stop painting miniatures. I compromised and said I will ASSEMBLE no more miniatures in the month of May. So, my Blood Angels and Slaanesh warband are stalled, while I switch gears back to painting the pile of RT plastic orks and 5th edition plastic Lizardmen which I'd built before this deal was struck. So far during the Year of Plague, I have painted:

Two, 2nd edition 40k starter boxes including Ork Leadnoughts to replace the card ones. I had to make a few substitutions for similar models, and I painted a couple extra greenskins in the process.

2 newer style Blood Angel Death Company dreadnoughts

18 of the new style Genestealer hybrids

Two of the plastic Nurgle armies from Dark Imperium, plus a chaos dreadnought for them from the last boxed edition

A small detachment of 14 Nurgle demons

73 (and counting!) plastic lizardmen from the 5th edition core set

6 Star Wars: Legion miniatures.

My Slaanesh warband as pictured thus far

So she's getting a bit overwhelmed by the ranks of painted figures in the queue for varnishing, basing etc. that are taking over our basement laundry area.

Orjetax

Tauntaun Scout":csa5cged said:
They're slowed down for awhile. My wife wants me to stop painting miniatures. I compromised and said I will ASSEMBLE no more miniatures in the month of May. So, my Blood Angels and Slaanesh warband are stalled, while I switch gears back to painting the pile of RT plastic orks and 5th edition plastic Lizardmen which I'd built before this deal was struck. So far during the Year of Plague, I have painted:

Two, 2nd edition 40k starter boxes including Ork Leadnoughts to replace the card ones. I had to make a few substitutions for similar models, and I painted a couple extra greenskins in the process.

2 newer style Blood Angel Death Company dreadnoughts

18 of the new style Genestealer hybrids

Two of the plastic Nurgle armies from Dark Imperium, plus a chaos dreadnought for them from the last boxed edition

A small detachment of 14 Nurgle demons

36 (and counting!) plastic lizardmen from the 5th edition core set

6 Star Wars: Legion miniatures.

My Slaanesh warband as pictured thus far

So she's getting a bit overwhelmed by the ranks of painted figures in the queue for varnishing, basing etc. that are taking over our basement laundry area.

That’s a lot of progress!

twisted moon":2mb9ekb3 said:
i hope we're going to see them once they are varnished.

I'm working on it don't worry! It depends on weather and opportunity to stage the pics. Outdoors, on a sunny day, but not in direct sunlight, is how I get my best pics of minis.

Varnished is no biggie but they might not all be based! When all goes to plan, I hit everything with one light coat of matte varnish, then I base them, then another light coat or two of matte varnish.

twisted moon":ybunu1vp said:
i hope we're going to see them once they are varnished.

So here we go.On the let side of the white line is my stalled out attempt at painting a good 2nd edition Blood Angels army based on the old boxed army. I still need to add 5 devastators, 3 death company, and a nice 10 man metal tactical squad. On the right side of the white line is the 20 marines and 2 dreadnoughts I have painted in the time of Nurgle. I painted them alongside the orks to proxy the 20 marines from two old core games, plus the dreads were old unfinished projects I finished one night during TV. The pictures aren't great due to the time of day.

That lead beakie squad on the right is (soon) going to get its own cadre of 5 heroes, plastic ASC scout squad, and old school leadnought. That will be a 1,000 point army of RT models according to the 2nd edition pamphlet army list. Eventually I'll add two of these three: assault, devastator, or terminator squad. I am basically going to create a rough Rogue Trader equivalent of a 2k point boxed army! The list will be a rough hybrid of the Blood Angel and Ultramarine boxed armies, and based on which of those two squads I can get for cheap! In a perfect world I'd further add an old Rhino and some kind of a lead bike but those seem unlikely.

8ilOXpo.jpg

e87L9nH.jpg

nU8m1XF.jpg

twisted moon

Tauntaun Scout":1qbx9ic6 said:
So here we go.

thank you; that's a nice force you have their.
are the extra elements already in your possession, or do you have to hunt them down? (i think you've already said you don't have a rhino; I'd recommend a ramshackle games iron grumble if you weren't committed to genuine rogue Trader sculpts).

twisted moon":2yuf06hj said:
are the extra elements already in your possession, or do you have to hunt them down? (i think you've already said you don't have a rhino; I'd recommend a ramshackle games iron grumble if you weren't committed to genuine rogue Trader sculpts).

I have the scouts, heroes, and dreadnought, ie, I have the 1,000 point initial collection. I still have to find terminators (1st ed Space Hulk plastics would even work) and/or devastators (plastic beakies hopefully) and/or an assault squad. Any two of the above will complete the army to 2,000 points. For assault marines I am thinking lead chainsword wielders, or, plastic beakies with bolt pistols and chainswords converted from whirring blades. No jump packs, possibly painted as Death Company.

twisted moon":2tehlxgb said:
Tauntaun Scout":2tehlxgb said:
So here we go.

Finally got around to googling Ramshackle Games. They look so cool! Thanks for the advice. There's gotta be 50 things I want from that webstore.

Caradepato

I really like how you did the bone on the chaplain, and how, on the bloke with the powersword, the tone of the beige on the purity seal parchment is different from that on the pommel, belt and scroll.

Thanks. Those various things are all just "Skeleton Horde" contrast. The purity seal got a plain old Vallejo white highlight after.

Back into this project. I got 15 used beakies from a friend. 10 had pistols the rest had bolters. I made a Death Company (assault squad) using 2 bolters and 8 pistols. I couldn't find proper RT era pistol weapons to give them in their off-hand. Then I realized the ORK weapons fit them better than they do the actual orks. I got 3 plasma pistols, 2 power swords, and 3 power axes in the squad. With the blades painted blue and the plasma pistols painted red to match the bolters, they won't look orky.

zkgnynT.jpg

Back