Rogue Trader Tyranid Mods

The old Rogue Trader rulebook gave Tyranids access to Power Armor, just like the marines. I've spent alot of time envisioning what that might actually look like, while limiting myself to era approriate mods of the time... and then it hit me.

Off with their heads and a go around with the plastic Chaos weapon's sprues of the day... those heads are inverted missile launcher's and and jet packs and the 'officer' sports a power glove as the army starts to unfold in the background.

Hope everyone is healthy and well and that you're finding some really cool painting projects to work on during this interesting time!

SLS

Attachments

• RTTYRANIDSthumbnail.jpg
    RTTYRANIDSthumbnail.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 1,769

symphonicpoet

Melon helmets for the 'nids! Very nice. :) Nice to see proper RT tyranids in quantity. I have a few, but not enough to really amount to anything. I wonder if it would be possible to make second edition termagants with their more exoskelatal bits look more properly RT. (I've long wondered about using them as tyranids, but they just look a tad out of place to me. Not as bad as the 1.5 edition monster 'nids, but . . . out of place nevertheless.)

Anyway, interesting project. I look forward to seeing more of this.

Tauntaun Scout":2u0kbzlz said:
I don't think I've ever seen any 1st edition metal tyranids in person. Can't believe you own that many!

There are about 15 on ebay UK right now. If you want some.

Gallowglacht":6aa9elzb said:
Tauntaun Scout":6aa9elzb said:
I don't think I've ever seen any 1st edition metal tyranids in person. Can't believe you own that many!

There are about 15 on ebay UK right now. If you want some.

Thanks but no. I collect mostly for childhood/teen nostalgia and have no memory of even a picture of one till my mid 20's. Back in the 80's and earliest 90's I was all about Grenadier and Ral Partha because GW stuff wasn't that common in the states yet. At least not if you lived in the country. I got the 2nd edition 40k boxed set in 1996 but that was almost all the GW books I could afford for years so most of my pics were the early 90's Eavy Metal paintjobs in the core rules!

I think by the time I graduated high school I had 2nd & 5th edition boxed games (sasn the lizardmen), the Bretonnian and Imperial Guard books, and TWO issues of White Dwarf. Plus the 1997 40k catalog and price guide, and the mail order Christmas deals poster from that year. All of which I hoarded and still own.

I was able to borrow a few other army books/issues of WD from a couple friends.

Zhu Bajie

They look great!

I really need to get my backside in gear and get some plastics to convert into Hlyss for Tékumel.

So what models are these actually? Are they the tyranid from page 103 of Rogue Trader? Or are they the "termagents" from pages 54 and 57 of the 2nd edition rulebook? Or something else entirely? I am not well versed in older tyranids.

Tauntaun Scout":13liizfn said:
So what models are these actually? Are they the tyranid from page 103 of Rogue Trader? Or are they the "termagents" from pages 54 and 57 of the 2nd edition rulebook? Or something else entirely? I am not well versed in older tyranids.

They're the standard release RT602 Tyranid Warriors:

fly8899rt3r-rt602-01.jpg

The one from P103 of the RT rulebook was never actually released, although a few did escape the studio, and someone makes a fairly nice nice 'homage' model for it, but I don't know if/where it's currently available from.

Yeah those are the ones that soldiered on as early termagents, or, at least which I thought did. I thought the RT one was extremely rare, so, it surprised me to hear there was a lot of 15 on eBay! But like I said I don't follow early tyranid sculpts that closely. Like everyone else, I just want the ones I drooled over as a kid!

Do you have any spare chaos heavy weapons after that conversion project? My genestelear hybrids could really use a couple.

symphonicpoet

^Yes. They're both.

The same models served as both. The earliest castings say Tyranid on the tab.

5hlri9C.jpg

But precisely that sculpt was later released as a"hunter killer" I believe it was, which later became the termagant. Only the tab was different. On the other hand, there was also a "proto-nid" sculpt that was never released. It was a more elaborate multi-part casting, and it fetches a fortune these days, but from what I know it was actually rather small. In addition there's a fan sculpt that closely resembles the proto-nid, apart from being much larger. Even those might well fetch fifty. (You see them listed for even more, but it's hard for me to know at what price point they actually sell.)

symphonicpoet":23n2vwf0 said:
In addition there's a fan sculpt that closely resembles the proto-nid, apart from being much larger. Even those might well fetch fifty. (You see them listed for even more, but it's hard for me to know at what price point they actually sell.)

Nah, they're £12.50 on eBay BIN: Linky

s-l500.jpg

Top is original, bottom is fan sculpt. They're nice, I keep meaning to get one.

symphonicpoet

12.50? Huh! Okay, that's not too bad. Also, I rather thought the size disparity was greater than that. Just my recollection of a conversation with Nigel at Oldhammer in the Jerz a few years back, but . . . shows you what I know. And man, I really wish they had released that original proto-nid. That's truly a lovely model.

I was lucky enough to secure a Protonid on ebay many years back... here's a photo from my collection to give you guys an idea of size in relation to the standard 'hunter slayer' and the fan sculpt. I absolutely love these old Tyranid models - something very unsettling about them :)

Just a hunch, but I feel the original sculpt might have been just a bit too awkward, size-wise, for a blister pack, so they opted for the smaller creature instead

Attachments

• NIDthumbnail.jpg
    NIDthumbnail.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 1,059
Very cool pics! What a great find!

spirit_light_speed":3tes2aan said:
Just a hunch, but I feel the original sculpt might have been just a bit too awkward, size-wise, for a blister pack, so they opted for the smaller creature instead

The original sculpt also appears to be designed to create as many miscasts as possible! It seems like the perfect air bubble trap.

Rastack50

spirit_light_speed":2n9a9nmn said:
I was lucky enough to secure a Protonid on ebay many years back... here's a photo from my collection to give you guys an idea of size in relation to the standard 'hunter slayer' and the fan sculpt. I absolutely love these old Tyranid models - something very unsettling about them :)

Hi !

How much you want for your protonid !? ahah i'm french and i collect tyranids, all ! but i have not protonid ...

Back