The City of Altheim (Blacksmiths P4)

Zhu Bajie

Re: The City of Altheim (New Update P2)

That is superb.

Really like all the details going on, the lantern by the door, the lightning conductor - brilliant!

Re: The City of Altheim (New Update P2)

Another small update, this time it's Eolfric the beggar, and his shanty home:

DSC04380.jpg

Firstly, Eolfric. He's a beggar from the Marauder MM62 range, and he's a Norscan former sailor. Crippled in a sailing accident, and left in Altheim, he makes a small living by begging, and selling items he finds around the docks, although it's mainly small daggers discarded after fights.

DSC04382.jpg

DSC04384.jpg

DSC04385.jpg

DSC04386.jpg

Next up is his home. As the homeless are not allowed within the city walls overnight, Eolfric has built a small shanty house up against the city walls near the docks. It's made up of crates, old doors, a window, and even a temple pew, the roof is an old sail, patched with what appears to be an old banner in the city colours:

DSC04388.jpg

DSC04389.jpg

DSC04390.jpg

DSC04391.jpg

DSC04392.jpg

DSC04393.jpg

And as far as the table itself goes, the roads are about half way done:

IMG-9340.jpg

That's two of the four boards almost done, as far as the roads go, just a couple of complex junctions to finish and then on to the next two boards!

symphonicpoet

Re: The City of Altheim (New Update P3)

Holy Jimminy, this is fantastic! Love your beggar and his hut. Daggers he finds "discarded" eh? I wonder who discards 'em? Probably not the winners. Well done! Love your roads, walls, buildings, people . . . the whole nine and a half yards. Ten yards. This train goes up to eleven yards.

Smoking gun

That shack is superb. I can see it many settings a trappers or miners shack with little bits of scatter terrain to help set the scene.
Very well done.

Best wishes,
Martin

So, I've got another small house done, this time it's 'The House of the Rusty Halberd':

IMG-9336.jpg

Originally known as the House of the Halberd, it eventually changed to the House of the Rusty Halberd after the Widow Anna became too old to keep taking it down and polishing it weekly, something she did for many years. A local landmark, it's used as a reference point for locals, as house numbering isn't something that exists in Altheim.

DSC04364.jpg

The house was originally the marital home of Max Schwartzhelm, a mercenary sergeant, and his wife Anna. Unfortunately Max was killed decades ago during a disastrous campaign and his body was returned with his equipment (and, surprisingly, his owed wages!) to Anna. After burying him, she hung his favoured weapon over the threshold so he could carry on protecting her from beyond the grave. There was even a rumour that the halberd was rigged to swing down if anyone tampered with the door, but this was all conjecture (probably!)

Since being widowed, Anna has been living on his dwindling savings, taking in washing and the occasional lodger to keep going, and so although the house is still standing, it is starting to lose plaster in places and looking a little the worse for wear.

DSC04367.jpg

DSC04372.jpg

DSC04373.jpg

DSC04374.jpg

DSC04375.jpg

DSC04376.jpg

DSC04377.jpg

DSC04378.jpg

DSC04379.jpg

The house is another fairly straightforward Townscape building, with a small rear garden added, and a bay window (From https://www.antenocitisworkshop.com) attached to the front to make it less of a plain box, and I think the other windows are resin ones from there too. The Chimney is one from a Citadel kit I had knocking around in the bots box, and the door is one of my own castings.

As far as the rest of the city goes, I'm on to finishing the cobbles on the last board! Next up is painting the baseboard, still haven't decided on colours for the stonework yet.

symphonicpoet

Re: The City of Altheim (New(er) Update P3)

That's looking absolutely great DM. I love her crooked chimney and her colorful wash. And hey, she's got the watch on one side of her and an antiquarian on the other. Should be a quiet spot. I wonder how she puts soup in the pot? Very interesting house. Doubtless a heck of a story. If the wire is also getting rusty her visitors might need the luck from that horseshoe. :)

Caradepato

This is definitively one of the most impressive projects of this kind I've seen. The amount of thought you have put into each building, so far, is unmatched. I also love the detail you've added, and more specifically the type of details - You've made it feel lived in, rather then overly ornate.

IF you ever feel like you need any ideas for more detail or structures, i'm sure the forum can oblige, because if you can keep this up to the level you have so far you will have something truly special.

I absolutely love the vegetable patch out back of Anna's house, it reminds me of how my great grandmother Lucinda made infusions with what she grew behind her basement flat in Lisbon.

Caradepato":sh12oaro said:
This is definitively one of the most impressive projects of this kind I've seen. The amount of thought you have put into each building, so far, is unmatched. I also love the detail you've added, and more specifically the type of details - You've made it feel lived in, rather then overly ornate.

IF you ever feel like you need any ideas for more detail or structures, i'm sure the forum can oblige, because if you can keep this up to the level you have so far you will have something truly special.

I absolutely love the vegetable patch out back of Anna's house, it reminds me of how my great grandmother Lucinda made infusions with what she grew behind her basement flat in Lisbon.

Thank you! This city board is something I've wanted to do for well over 20 years, so I've got plenty of ideas built up! I originally came into wargaming via DM'ing AD&D games in the early 80s, and then WFRP from the mid 80s onwards. I've written plenty of adventures etc, so I'm working at this project like I would a roleplaying game, with each house having an inhabitant and an actual reason for being in the city.

I eventually plan to make stat cards for all the inhabitants, so I can use them and the table in a kind of Mordheim-style game! I've plenty of scenario ideas for that too!

dieselmonkey":y1zp4y3c said:
Thank you! This city board is something I've wanted to do for well over 20 years, so I've got plenty of ideas built up! I originally came into wargaming via DM'ing AD&D games in the early 80s, and then WFRP from the mid 80s onwards. I've written plenty of adventures etc, so I'm working at this project like I would a roleplaying game, with each house having an inhabitant and an actual reason for being in the city.

I eventually plan to make stat cards for all the inhabitants, so I can use them and the table in a kind of Mordheim-style game! I've plenty of scenario ideas for that too!

It'll be like your own Ultima IV board!

It's a great idea though. Maybe I should let the winds of eBay blow me some civilian figures and make a house suitable for each one as a way of deciding how to build my towns and villages.

Another new build, this time the old Garden of Morr. One of the oldest structures in Altheim, it actually predates the city walls, explaining why the crypt is built into it:

DSC04604.jpg

Because burials were forbidden within the city limits several hundred years ago, the Garden is no longer used for actual burials. The noticeboard is still used for posting death notices, and the wall crypt is used as a funerary chapel for coffins to lay in before being taken to one of the burial grounds outside the city limits.

DSC04607.jpg

Dorrian, a wandering Priest of Morr, has been the resident guardian for several years now, living in the crypt itself, and providing the necessary benedictions to the recently dead to allow them to enter Morr's Kingdom.

DSC04611.jpg

Because of the ages of the graves there are few direct relatives to care for them, meaning the garden is in a fairly dilapidated condition, although Dorrian makes sure the graves remain sealed and that the Garden doesn't get any worse, occasionally securing funds from the richer descendants of the interred to carry out limited repairs.

DSC04606.jpg

DSC04608.jpg

DSC04609.jpg

DSC04610.jpg

DSC04615.jpg

This was a fairly simple little project, brought about by memories of a small Jewish graveyard I used to live near. It was ancient, built into a row of terraced houses and was just an anonymous gate in a wall that you wouldn't know what it unless you looked carefully. I made the gate for this one a little more ostentatious, and the contents are all from the bits box. Most of the gravestones are from Renedra, and the walls are actually the same cobbles I used for the roads!

Dorrian, the priest is an old Citadel Cleric/Monk that I found headless and with one arm in the bottom of a box. A few Empire bits rebuilt him, and a skull to top off his staff seemed appropriate.

All in all, a quick project that I like, and serves as a place for characters to hide in during games!

Re: The City of Altheim (New Update P4)

I hope that when you die, you are rewarded by being allowed to spend the afterlife as king of this town.

Tauntaun Scout":26hze91j said:
I hope that when you die, you are rewarded by being allowed to spend the afterlife as king of this town.

I'd better start building some higher class housing! :lol:

symphonicpoet

dieselmonkey":tsudl61f said:
Tauntaun Scout":tsudl61f said:

I'd better start building some higher class housing! :lol:

Or at least furnishing what you have a little better? Glorious stuff, as always. This is one heck of a board! :grin:

Well, every city needs a Blacksmiths, right? So this is Reinhald Strohmann, Master swordsmith, and his apprentice, Matthias:

DSC04733.jpg

DSC04734.jpg

DSC04735.jpg

DSC04738.jpg

fullsizeoutput-1247.jpg

fullsizeoutput-1248.jpg

fullsizeoutput-124a.jpg

fullsizeoutput-124d.jpg

As usual, more photos, info (and Reinhald's backstory!) on my blog, *here*

EricF

Administrator
I am enjoying watching the construction of this city so much. This new building is as great as your previous ones. I love all the little details: the shop sign made of swords, the cooling sword in the trough, the grinding wheel. Wonderful model and a cracking paint job.

Back