twisted moon's 2020

twisted moon

symphonicpoet":5104xrob said:
^What's in the box? Very lovely stuff. :)

thank you. i didn't keep up with wfb after 3rd edition, so have no idea what the battle for skull pass was all about, or what the grudge ponies represent. in my games it will probably be carrying ore from my dwarven mine, which isn't very sinister.
here's one of the projects i've been working on since completing the grudge wagon.

three tanks for my dwarven forces. the figures are just to show scale, i painted them years ago; plenty more to get on with too.

these are powered by the same technology stolen by the snotlings for their pump wagons. i envisage these have a crew of five - two on the pump, two on the cannon and a steersdwarf / commander. the pintle mounted weapon is to provide some protection from close assault; my current thoughts are to count it as a swivel gun, though a blunderbuss might be more sporting.

in my own setting the dwarves are undergoing a civil war between the kaiserzwerge and the anschlusszwerge. the splinter camo. belongs to the latter, and in game represents an early prototype which the kaiserzwerge have improved by adding additional viewing ports and simplifying production of the access porch.
in more traditional settings i'll use the camo. version as the command tank.

Attachments

• Dwarf tanks painted1.JPG
    Dwarf tanks painted1.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 1,334
  • Dwarf tanks painted2.JPG
    Dwarf tanks painted2.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 1,334
  • Dwarf tanks painted3.JPG
    Dwarf tanks painted3.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,334

symphonicpoet

Fantasy splinter camouflage? Holy cow, what's next! :grin: Love it! And hey, at least at sea dazzle camouflage came in myriad lurid colors. :) I believe there was even a somewhat official WWII RN color called "Mountbaten Pink." (That a convoy officer by that name felt faded into the sunrise or sunset admirably.)

twisted moon

symphonicpoet":n15s6ahu said:
Holy cow, what's next!

just a pair of bolt throwers for my undead sloop.

a quick slap of paint over the weekend to get something else completed.

these are mdf, and i'm fairly sure are from warbases.

Attachments

• Undead Naval artillery 1.JPG
    Undead Naval artillery 1.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 1,290
  • Undead Naval artillery 2.JPG
    Undead Naval artillery 2.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 1,290
  • Undead Naval artillery 3.JPG
    Undead Naval artillery 3.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,290

twisted moon

today we have a yak drawn dwarven chariot / battle cart armed with a brace of twin blunderbusses, as you do.

it's a rafm miniature which i got second hand and already constructed (so i don't know in how many pieces it was cast), although i removed the rider and guns for painting, I also added some plastic rod mounts for the guns to better fit around the riders feet.

i picked this up just over six years ago from sentry box in calgary, apparently the biggest gaming store in the world. i don't know what criteria they use or how they determined they were the winner, but it's certainly a well stocked place the and the largest roleplaying / wargaming store i've ever had the good fortune to visit.

this one will be joining the kaiserzwerge.

Attachments

• Dwarf chariot1.JPG
    Dwarf chariot1.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,264
  • Dwarf chariot2.JPG
    Dwarf chariot2.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,264
  • Dwarf chariot3.JPG
    Dwarf chariot3.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,264
I just acquired a side/wheel piece from that in a bits lot! I had no idea what it was. How weird I should look at this just now.

twisted moon

Tauntaun Scout":15aztb2p said:
I just acquired a side/wheel piece from that in a bits lot!

now you have a better idea of all the other pieces you need.

some pbi for the kaiserzwerge today.

the figures on each end and in the middle are ral partha raf-3094 hand gunners, again picked up from sentry box. the other two are wessex games pz202 khallazdurin dwarf infantry which i got from recon in pudsey a decade ago, or so. being for panzerfauste, they're supposed to have bolt action rifles, but i don't see anyone objecting to my using them as arquebuss.

i'm not sure if ral partha still has this range of dwarves, but wessex games seem to have stopped production of their panzerfauste miniatures ahead of the hysterical games kickstarter.

Attachments

• Dwarf gunners 1a.JPG
    Dwarf gunners 1a.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 1,212
  • Dwarf gunners 1b.JPG
    Dwarf gunners 1b.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,212
  • Dwarf gunners 1c.JPG
    Dwarf gunners 1c.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 1,212

twisted moon

symphonicpoet":2ql4lhx2 said:
I like the ... boat ... :)

it's from flagship games; the production rights are changing hands at the moment, so i can't tell you how to get hold of one.

here's some more pbi, for the anschlusszwerge this time.

the two at each end are gw battle for skull pass monopose plastics (although they're subtly different to each other), next in are 02-035 dwarf arquebusiers from ral partha, and the middle one is from tabletop games.

the gw ones i picked up at a (or more than one) show, the others were ordered from spirit games quite some time ago,

Attachments

• Dwarf gunners 2a.JPG
    Dwarf gunners 2a.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,195
  • Dwarf gunners 2b.JPG
    Dwarf gunners 2b.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,195
  • Dwarf gunners 2c.JPG
    Dwarf gunners 2c.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,195

twisted moon

a mixed batch for the anschluss forces here.

the command figures will go with a spear unit, which is still ongoing. the flag-bearer came from a rummage bin at a show and looks like a tabletop games figure to me. the musician is classic citadel from 1984 and i got in a blister pack sometime in the second half of the '80's.
all the figures will eventually get printed name tags, but gloin's was on his tab and i needed an aide memoire.

the gunners are from amazon miniatures; due to their diminutive size, i'm using them to complete an allied gnome unit otherwise comprising wessex games figures.

Attachments

• Dwarf infantry1a.JPG
    Dwarf infantry1a.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,133
  • Dwarf infantry1b.JPG
    Dwarf infantry1b.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,133
  • Gnome Anschluss gunner unit1.JPG
    Gnome Anschluss gunner unit1.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 1,133

twisted moon

thank you; i'm glad someone else is appreciating them.
here's a few more; a mixed bag this time.

a couple of anschlusszwerge spear-dwarves on the left. booth of these were picked up from rummage bins, and i have no idea as to the manufacturer(s). another amazon miniatures dwarf in the middle, this time painted up to join the kaiserzwerge gnome allies. then the two on the right are obviously '80's citadel from the command sets brought out for wfb3, and often used to complement the warhammer regiments plastic figures. these will be added to my kaiserzwerge melee troops, who will indeed include the warhammer regiments ones.

just a simple paper flag this time. since it's quite small i didn't think it would greatly benefit from being able to mould folds in it.

here's the complete allied gnome unit; 50% larger than the anshluss version.

Attachments

• Dwarf infantry2a.JPG
    Dwarf infantry2a.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,074
  • Dwarf infantry2b.JPG
    Dwarf infantry2b.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 1,074
  • Gnome Kaiser gunner unit1.JPG
    Gnome Kaiser gunner unit1.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,074

twisted moon

more dwarves, a mix of old- and newhammer today.

on the left there's the misnamed dwarf engineer with brace of pistols. to my mind this is extremely modern; i think it dates from the last ten years, it's metal but may have been on the cusp of the transition to finecast. i purchased it on one of those occasions i found myself in possession of a gw voucher.
the other figures constitute the original flame cannon from the late 80's.

i've painted up the engineer to join the anschlusszwerge and the flame cannon for the kaiserzwerge,

i've given the cannon it's own base so it can be placed on a ship i have been planning to make for several years (though not as long as the tanks shown previously). we'll see if or when that comes to pass.

Attachments

• Dwarf flame cannon1.JPG
    Dwarf flame cannon1.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,035
  • Dwarf flame cannon2.JPG
    Dwarf flame cannon2.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 1,035
  • Dwarf flame cannon3.JPG
    Dwarf flame cannon3.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 1,035

twisted moon

i allowed this to drag on a bit longer than i should, but here is the start of my dwarven aerial navy.

at some point i'll make another for the anshlusszwerge, whilst adding a couple of gyrocopters to bolster this for the kaiserzwerge.

i had to change the rigging arrangement, since the picture wire i was intending to use wasn't stiff enough to hold the balloon up. the downside is that there now isn't room for 4 20mm bases in the basket. i'll have to designate some specific crew and put them on custom smaller bases, which is annoying.

i shall try and learn from the mistake before making the next one.

Attachments

• Dwarf airship 1a.JPG
    Dwarf airship 1a.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 929
  • Dwarf airship 1b.JPG
    Dwarf airship 1b.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 929
  • Dwarf airship 1c.JPG
    Dwarf airship 1c.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 929

twisted moon

thanks both.
here are some kaiserzwerge line infantry.

three plastic figures from the warhammer regiments set, an '80's miniature picked up from a rummage bin at a show, and whati presume from the size of the axe-blade is a '90's scuplt. i'm not sure when or where i got that one.

the warhammer regiments miniatures are on textured plastic bases from warbases.

Attachments

• Dwarf infantry 3a.JPG
    Dwarf infantry 3a.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 810
  • Dwarf infantry 3b.JPG
    Dwarf infantry 3b.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 810

dazza36

Wow what an eclectic bunch of dwarfs you've got there! So many dwarfs I've never seen before with the stand out being that Yak chariot. Will look forward to seeing more

twisted moon

dazza36":l43stjaj said:
So many dwarfs I've never seen before ...

there's a few more manufacturers still to come.
another five kaiserzwerge line infantry today.

another three warhammer regiments in their usual positions, a (i presume) '90's citadel dwarf with overly large weapon second from left, and a ghost miniatures second from right.

i picked up the gd2 dwarves with swords pack of six miniatures at vapnartak quite some years ago. this is the most heavily armoured of the group; the rest will be along in due course.

Attachments

• Dwarf infantry 4a.JPG
    Dwarf infantry 4a.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 779
  • Dwarf infantry 4b.JPG
    Dwarf infantry 4b.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 779
Back