twisted moon's 2020

twisted moon

the first painting of this year has been of overspill from deadcember.

i got as far as undercoating these before 2019 eluded me.

these are the first iteration of carrion for wfb.

if i can find the third head variant (with the same rider as these two), for a reasonable price, i'd like to add it.

Attachments

• Carrion1.JPG
    Carrion1.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 3,819
  • Carrion2.JPG
    Carrion2.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 3,819
  • Carrion3.JPG
    Carrion3.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 3,819

twisted moon

three ice toads for frostgrave:

i now see i need to clean the bases up a little.
these are actually demonic imp familiars from heresy miniatures. i thought about going with frog familiars from rapier miniatures since they were cheaper, but i wanted to put in an order with heresy for some other things anyway.
having said that, i'm still waiting for a missing figure from that order to arrive.

Attachments

• Ice toads.JPG
    Ice toads.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 3,386

twisted moon

something for my sci-fi collection this time.

this is a capitol orca battlesuit for target games' warzone. prince august has quite a lot of (remainder?) stock for warzone, but i couldn't see any of these on their website. i was fortunate enough to pick up a box of three from the bring and buy at battleground for £5.00, which is a bargain by any measure.

it's a hefty miniature being almost solid metal in five parts plus the gunner in two. i assume there is supposed to be a driver in behind the canopy, especially as there appear to be double doors in front of the gunner.

there should be another weapon on the right flank, but the kit was missing one of these (the recoilless cannon). i thought of bodging something up using a spare ion age weapon but decided against it and painted this one to add to my disorganised criminal gangs (from foundry's street violence range), using the least military looking gunner (both others have closed helmets), as something they've acquired as military surplus. twin heavy stubbers is still pretty serious firepower.
i'm not sure how i'll integrate the others (with missile launcher and flamethrower); either as part of the planetary defence force or constabulary are the most obvious choices, but i'm pretty content with them as they are.
the final figure from heresy also turned up.

Attachments

• Orca Battlesuit1a.JPG
    Orca Battlesuit1a.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 3,290
  • Orca Battlesuit1b.JPG
    Orca Battlesuit1b.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 3,289
  • Orca Battlesuit1c.JPG
    Orca Battlesuit1c.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 3,289

twisted moon

here's a terrain tile of a seemingly bottomless pit i have just completed.

the main structure is a bit of polystyrene packaging with steps added with foamcore.
the statues are soft plastic toy soldiers.

Attachments

• Pit1.JPG
    Pit1.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 3,189
  • Pit2.JPG
    Pit2.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 3,189
  • Pit3.JPG
    Pit3.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 3,189

twisted moon

here's another ruined terrain tile i have just finished:

it comprises a full set of gw osgiliath ruins, minus the statues, and northumbria painting services craters.

a not quite complete version made an appearance in the renegade scout battle report i published yesterday (https://bit.ly/2v6d1lb).

Attachments

• Osgiliath ruins 1.JPG
    Osgiliath ruins 1.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 3,162
  • Osgiliath ruins 2.JPG
    Osgiliath ruins 2.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 3,162
  • Osgiliath ruins 3.JPG
    Osgiliath ruins 3.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 3,162

symphonicpoet

^Minus the statues those look pretty good. Very versatile. All that is old does not glitter and not all who Newhammer are lost. ;)

Nicely done!

twisted moon

symphonicpoet":35e6nnee said:
^Minus the statues those look pretty good.

not keen on the statues?

i have just finished a bijou force of diehard miniatures eru-kin.
here's the command squad:

before i made the order i asked if it would be possible to swap xipil - sci-fi command group tech mage for meztli - tech mage in the sci-fi command group pack, and tim prow got back to me quickly to kindly agree.
in making my squad i separated out yolotli - sci-fi command group leader to add to my tactical / devastator squad and added the eru-kin elite guard to provide some muscle.
here's a better view of the front and back of their flag:

the force has erroneously become known as the cosmic coatls due to their opponents' misinterpretation of this side of the flag.

as can be seen here, their correct designation is sicohyaxis' 3rd spawning.

Attachments

• Eru-kin Command.JPG
    Eru-kin Command.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 3,025
  • Eru-kin Standard1.JPG
    Eru-kin Standard1.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 3,025
  • Eru-kin Standard2.JPG
    Eru-kin Standard2.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 3,025

twisted moon

here's the rifle squad, comprising the eru-kin mag gun unit with the addition of yolotli - sci-fi command group leader.

both yolotli and the trooper on the left end have heavier versions of the standard mag gun, so i'll upgrade those to special weapons in game terms.

finally, here's the assault squad, formed of the bog-blood handgun unit.

these are lovely figures, although a bit bigger than i was expecting. quite a few of them are multi-part, which i also wasn't expecting, but they went to together very easily. if i had known i might have configured my order slightly differently.
my only criticism is i would have preferred if the bog-blood's had all come with pistols. if i hadn't been so eager to get these painted i might have press molded pistol hands for them, but too late for that now. again, if i'd known the hands were seperate, i might have asked if it was possible to get all pistols.

Attachments

• Eru-kin Tactical.JPG
    Eru-kin Tactical.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 3,023
  • Eru-kin Assault.JPG
    Eru-kin Assault.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 3,023

symphonicpoet

I have a fair few of those sitting in a box. They really are lovely little models, but like you, I wish I had more pistols. (Since I want to sci-fi with them.)

Anyway . . . lovely work so far. :)

twisted moon

here's a couple of vending machines and some crates, all from ttcombat.

Attachments

• Scatter terrain1.JPG
    Scatter terrain1.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,544

twisted moon

yes, i anticipate they shall come in.
here are some more lamp posts, from ttcombat; also useful for setting a scene.

and the staff of the spanglish town uplift port.

these are the inspectors from heresy miniatures. they are very slight miniatures, much closer to scale than my other 28mm sci-fi, which means knuckles doesn't look quite as menacing as he's perhaps supposed to. still, he's a well toned chap.

Attachments

• Lamp post3.JPG
    Lamp post3.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 1,522
  • Inspectors.JPG
    Inspectors.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,522

twisted moon

here's another building for spanglish town.

i found myself in need of these for a renegade scout scenario (the battle report for which i'll post soon), otherwise i'm not sure it would have occurred to me to make them.

Attachments

• Garages1.JPG
    Garages1.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 1,490
  • Garages2.JPG
    Garages2.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,490
  • Garages3.JPG
    Garages3.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,490

symphonicpoet

You know, that's a really useful building . . . that I would never have thought of. So much game potential! (Note to self: read the battle report.)

Anyway, nicely done! :)

twisted moon

another couple of vending machines, just to keep things ticking over.

again laser-cut mdf from ttcombat.

Attachments

• Drinks machines.JPG
    Drinks machines.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 1,449

twisted moon

the last two vending machines and some sort of storage tank.

Attachments

• Scatter terrain2.JPG
    Scatter terrain2.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,414

twisted moon

when fimm showed his work in progress sculpts for the see thirty amazons project i couldn't resist getting some, despite having no idea what i would use them for, my fantasy being firmly euro-centric in both other forces and terrain.
despite not being on facebook i managed to get in touch with the commissioner and picked up a few packs totalling 17 figures; i've also managed to find three of the original c30 amazons at acceptable prices on ebay. over the intervening time i have had a vague notion of using them as another faction in my caribbean viii sci-fi setting, but never got much further than that. now however, painting up the diehard miniatures eru-kin has inspired me to use these as allies / are auxilaries, in a manner compatible with the wfb background, but in space.
here are the first that i've painted up; members of the sisterhood who will constitute officers and nco's for my squads:

i'm still considering squad composition, but would like three squads of ten, so am on the look out for compatible figures including more c30s at a price i'm prepared to pay (i.e. cheap).

Attachments

• Amazons1.JPG
    Amazons1.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,393
Back