Golgfag1's preparation for BOYL 2020

Golgfag1

twisted moon":3ivtcveb said:
i like those; not sure I've ever seen painted versions before.

They're common enough, but few ever received a coat of paint and have pictures posted, then again its taken me the best part of thirty years to paint mine! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul / Golgfag1

Those look really cool.

I really need to audit the leadpile. I am 99% sure I have a bunch pf pre-slotta Citadel which is not really my thing. And people on this forum could really use them. I buy a lot of big bulk lots and wind up with all sorts of oddities.

Once, I went to an estate sale, and in the basement was a custom castle gaming table that was probably 8x8. The thing was huge, one continuous castle and cliff face. I found a TON of old Citadel/Partha/Grenadier models in a box under the table and bought them for like $20. They tried to get me to buy the castle but I pointed out "It won't fit out your door!".

That weekend, HALF the table (with obvious saw marks) turned up in the back gaming room of my FLGS and I got to play on the massive castle a couple times after all.

Re: Britain. I have lost count of the number of times I've been. Let's think. Umm. Six. I have been six times if I count the long layovers on my trip to Egypt. I have pretty much crossed all the places off of the "nerd bucket list" unless you count Asia, which, it's gonna be awhile till anyone gets to go on vacation there. We were actually saving up for a big trip to Japan (my brothers current station!) but we're thinking we should just forget that dream. Maybe use the money to buy a vacation cabin.

These look really good Paul. i like the colours alot on Menghils. Dark Elves are one my favourite armies, i dont have enough old ones for a single unit sadly, but at least that keeps the Slann less threatened here. Really enjoying seeing your collection here.

Golgfag1

Pygmy Witch Doctor":21boj4gy said:
These look really good Paul. i like the colours alot on Menghils. Dark Elves are one my favourite armies, i dont have enough old ones for a single unit sadly, but at least that keeps the Slann less threatened here. Really enjoying seeing your collection here.

Thanks Andrew, I'll be honest the blue tunics the troopers are wearing are actual grey, rather than the blue in the pictures! Between my eyes, the camera and the computer I don't know what goes on, but I'm sure the main problem is the idiot in charge :lol: :lol: :lol: . Menghils are also one of my fravorite ROR, the standard trooper appear craved in stone, whilst the characters just add that something, to carry them that bit further. 8-) If ever you what a few Coldone riders just say? I've more than enough.

Good to know my efforts are appreciated.

Paul / Golgfag1

Sleepysod

Golgfag1":3g3vnt57 said:
Sleepysod":3g3vnt57 said:
Out of curiosity which company made the donkey faced beast Men?

Ah, that'll be Geoff Soloman Sims of Oakbound Studios.

Paul / Golgfag1

Having looked over his site, I really like the “Bucca” fishmen and the bordermen. I see a lockdown purchase in the offing... :grin:

Sleepysod

I know pre-slotta miniatures are generally a lot smaller than tabbed based miniatures but is there a noticeable difference in scale? I recall the champions were added at a later stage with tabs and had a more dynamic pose - just wondered whether these were more AD&D scale dark lives or whether they blend well with the later range?

So many of these old regiments that I loved at the time, but never saw. I had some of the half orcs with unit champion “Earwangle” and a couple of Notlob bolt throwers but the others eluded me before the big boxes were issued. The article in the Citadel journal where they went through each regiments back story is a must read! :grin:

Golgfag1

symphonicpoet":30jifywv said:
You have some lovely rarities there Golgfag, and they look great! :grin:

Thanks, the C series Dark elves were some of the first figures I collected in the 80's and they've sat around in various tool boxes and drawers for years with me occasionally painting a few, whilst adding more to the mountain, and putting them in another container. :oops: Realizing I've near enough three hundred of them :roll: :roll: :roll: , this year, made the decision to have someone else daub a little paint over them as I was never going to do it with everything else I have to paint :o , hence I currently have Curtis painting fifty witch elves and a cauldron of blood, following his efforts with the bolt shooters and more infantry.

To explain my own latest applications of paint - Harry Howells contacting me to arrange a trade and rekindling my interest, which in turn means less to trade and less for Curtis to paint. :lol: :lol: :lol: So blame Harry.

Paul / Golgfag1

Golgfag1

Sleepysod":32nxiq2j said:
Having looked over his site, I really like the “Bucca” fishmen and the bordermen. I see a lockdown purchase in the offing... :grin:

It's a slippery slope, be careful

Paul / Golgfag1

Golgfag1

Sleepysod":1wojxblg said:
I know pre-slotta miniatures are generally a lot smaller than tabbed based miniatures but is there a noticeable difference in scale? I recall the champions were added at a later stage with tabs and had a more dynamic pose - just wondered whether these were more AD&D scale dark lives or whether they blend well with the later range?

So many of these old regiments that I loved at the time, but never saw. I had some of the half orcs with unit champion “Earwangle” and a couple of Notlob bolt throwers but the others eluded me before the big boxes were issued. The article in the Citadel journal where they went through each regiments back story is a must read! :grin:

They are considerably smaller, but due to the depth of the base ranked up there's little discernible difference in height, only proportions give a worry :( . As for the regiments of renown I've had most of them at one time or anothwere wereer and traded them away either for cash or trades, as you say their back stories are a must read. 8-)

Paul / Golgfag1

Golgfag1

OK, last day I can really apply paint to a few miniatures so here's my take on Dark elf scouts using C series pre-slottas :grin: Still a few details to add but to all intents their done. :lol:

Enjoy

Paul / Golgfag1

Attachments

• scouts1.jpg
    scouts1.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 944

Golgfag1

Nothing to do with BOYL, but a continuing progress of my Dark Elves, I recently purchased a Black Dragon Rider, which has sat on my workbench in pieces due to my faithful Dremel of the last twenty plus years, giving up the ghost last year and its replacements being useless in comparison. So yesterday evening I set to repairing the Dremel - following the replacement of a cable, switch and bushes all is now working again, nothing was stopping me from cracking on with putting the Dragon and rider together. So here's my progress shot, just waiting for the liquid green stuff to dry and they'll be off to the spraying area for their undercoat.

Paul/Golgfag1

Attachments

• Wyvern rider 1.jpg
    Wyvern rider 1.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 887

Golgfag1

Had a little bit of paint left over from painting the dragon, so slapped it over this!

Enjoy

Paul/Golgfag1

Attachments

• Ral partha sorceress 1.jpg
    Ral partha sorceress 1.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 867

Sleepysod

Blimey, just been back over the whole thread - your output this year has been ferocious! Empire, Marines, Orcs and seemingly the whole of the Citadel Dark Elf C series :shock: Really hope you get a chance to field them this year

Golgfag1

Thanks, it's not been a bad year for out put, but I've not really settled to anything, apart from the Empire for Dave's Big Birthday Bash earlier in the year 8-) 8-) 8-) , so its all been a bit scrappy really, currently push on with the Dark Elves, with Curtis's painting services ;) giving a helping hand ;) . But with BOYL in doubt, and social distancing under review, I can't really see them, seeing a table top this side of the new year :cry: :roll: :cry: , given the current circumstances, but time will tell. :)

Paul / Golgfag1

http://snickitstail.blogspot.com/2020/03/

Golgfag1

Not a great deal of progress, but here's what the Dragon Rider looks like now!

Enjoy

Paul / Golgfag1

Attachments

• progress shot.jpg
    progress shot.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 810

Golgfag1

Another old Dark Elf receives a coat of leftover paint, whilst I daub paint over the Dragon rider. :grin:

Enjoy

Paul / Golgfag1

Attachments

• hero1.jpg
    hero1.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 778

symphonicpoet

That's a neat old model. Were the dark elves envisioned more as "evil elves" a la modern WH, or just more sylvan, a la JRRT? The models feels very elven, but hardly screams sadistic in the modern dark elf way. (For the record, I prefer the JRRT version. I think orcs make perfectly adequate corrupt elves.)

Golgfag1

symphonicpoet":knpqxcr3 said:
That's a neat old model. Were the dark elves envisioned more as "evil elves" a la modern WH, or just more sylvan, a la JRRT? The models feels very elven, but hardly screams sadistic in the modern dark elf way. (For the record, I prefer the JRRT version. I think orcs make perfectly adequate corrupt elves.)

He's an interesting miniature for sure, a bit on the short side when compared to the C series, but so are they when compared with the more modern stuff, he was listed under C09 in the first compendium with other elves, it really only the helmet and skulls which really marks him out as something different, so don't really think Dark Elves anything other than a concept at the time.

http://www.solegends.com/citcat1983comp ... 027-02.htm

Paul / Golgfag1

Golgfag1

Progress on the Dragon rider has slowed to a snails pace, but it does move on, quite happy with the foil banner and shield, the scales on the dragon proving tedious but I'll get there, all it takes is time.

Enjoy

Paul/Golgfag1

Attachments

• progress shot 1.jpg
    progress shot 1.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 725
  • progress shot 1a.jpg
    progress shot 1a.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 725
Back