Golgfag1's preparation for BOYL 2020

Golgfag1

symphonicpoet":11ojj3jq said:
^Is that why he tried to get me to sit down and paint with him when I had neither miniatures nor paint on the same continent? :grin: Curtis is awesome! Glad to see you two working together to keep BOYL fun and awesome. :)

You've got to give the chap points for trying. :lol:

I don't think this,is us working together, as I'm paying him for his time and effort, which gives me time to contribute towards the Wolf Wars for BOYL, with the chaps from GROG this year, which given the practice game a couple of weeks ago should be a good laugh. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Paul/Golgfag1

Golgfag1

For no other reason than Geoff handed them over last weekend and their great miniatures, here's my latest attempts to splash a bit of paint on lead.

Enjoy

Paul / Golgfag1

Attachments

• beastmen 1 .jpg
    beastmen 1 .jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 1,267

Golgfag1

OK, so rather than reducing the lead mountain over the last few days whilst I'm confined to barracks, I've been adding a bit of decoration to Empire infantry following Dave's Big Birthday Bash by painting a few banners with some wire, metal foil from tomatoes paste tube and a bit of paint, still very much work in progress, but you get the idea.

Enjoy

Paul / Golgfg1

Initial cutting and painting.

Progress to actually putting the things together.

Attachments

• banners1.JPG
    banners1.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,197
  • banners.jpg
    banners.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 1,197

dazza36

Very nice banners and will definitely add to any unit that gets them. I gave up on puree tubes as I could never get them smooth enough whats your secret ?

Golgfag1

dazza36":10nsbkex said:
Very nice banners and will definitely add to any unit that gets them. I gave up on puree tubes as I could never get them smooth enough whats your secret ?

A flat surface, a sharp edged object, lay foil flat, rub object edge over foil, until the humps and bumps appear flat, simply.

Hope this helps

Paul / Golgfag1

Golgfag1

OK, whilst in lock-down I've been producing basic banners to provide much needed colour to my Empire infantry in their chainmail and plate. Still very much WIP, will hopefully have them attached by close of business Sunday :grin: .

Hope you enjoy

Paul / Golgfag1

Attachments

• banners2.jpg
    banners2.jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 1,063

Golgfag1

Following an exchange of messages with Garry, I took my boxes of C series dark elves 8-) out of the attic, which in turn led to me splashing a bit of paint on a few figures! Very much a work in progress shot :oops: of some classic lead.

Hopefully more to follow show a bit more progress to a successful conclusion.

As ever my pictures do me no favors :lol:

Paul/Golgfag1

Attachments

• Dark Elves 1.jpg
    Dark Elves 1.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 940

Golgfag1

So now I'm splashing on a bit of detail so I've obviously slowed, and the numbers are far fewer the first three up are my take on the Witch Queen, priestess and sorcerer, has ever my pictures do my painting no favors. :lol:
The others will follow in due course :grin:
Paul /Golgfag1

Attachments

• DE wizard.jpg
    DE wizard.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 907
  • DE witch.jpg
    DE witch.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 907
  • DE Witch Queen.jpg
    DE Witch Queen.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 907

symphonicpoet

Looking better! :) That's such a cool bunch of miniatures, they're going to look really great when you're done. Looking forward to seeing more. :)

Golgfag1

symphonicpoet":1kho25xi said:
Looking better! :) That's such a cool bunch of miniatures, they're going to look really great when you're done. Looking forward to seeing more. :)

Thanks for that, and just to show that I've not been pulling my weight here's the next batch and a few comparison shots so you can see the together.

Enjoy

Paul / Golgfag1

Attachments

• necromancer A.jpg
    necromancer A.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 871
  • witch A.jpg
    witch A.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 871
  • witch queen A.jpg
    witch queen A.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 871
  • necromancers .jpg
    necromancers .jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 871
  • witches.jpg
    witches.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 871
  • queens.jpg
    queens.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 871

Golgfag1

Last few figures from this last batch, enjoy

Paul/Golgfag1

Attachments

• witch queen B.jpg
    witch queen B.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 684
  • witch king.jpg
    witch king.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 684
  • witch C.jpg
    witch C.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 684

Golgfag1

Thanks, There's still a bit of work to do - breaking down the blocks of colour with washes, but to all intents and purposes their done with just the basing to do ( which won't be goblin Green :lol: )

Paul / Golgfag1

Golgfag1

Tauntaun Scout":1p9oe6du said:
I am very jealous that I can't go to events at Wargames Foundry like this.

Nice to know these posts peak your interest, but why can't you come to BOYL, I assume distance?

Paul Golgfag1

Golgfag1":3v9obc09 said:
Nice to know these posts peak your interest, but why can't you come to BOYL, I assume distance?

Paul Golgfag1

I live in the US. However, thanks to Orlygg's blag o' chaos and lots of posts about BYOL and similar stuff, I did make a pilgrimage to Wargames Foundry, about two years ago. Getting to see the original figures in person definitely made me a better painter. I also went to Warhammer World three times (spread out over several years) and struck up a professional friendship with the curator of the collections there.

But, 3 of those four "miniatures research trips" were when I had a little brother stationed at a USAF base in England! Now that I'd have to pay for lodging I doubt I'll get back anytime soon unfortunately. Also, now my kids are so old they'd have to actually buy plane tickets if I took them with me.

He was about to move to be stationed elsewhere so I flew out there real fast to go see the Crystal Palace dinosaurs and Wargames Foundry. Basically the last two things on my bucket list for Britain. Squeezed in an extra trip to Warhammer World on that trip too.

Before that trip, my wife and I honeymooned at Loch Ness and spent 10 days driving around Scotland. A few years later we took a 10 day vacation in England/Wales once just because. Then another time, we got a couple of 1 day layovers on London on our way too/from Egypt. So I had pretty much nailed down what all I wanted to see over at least once, there in years prior.

Golgfag1

Tauntaun Scout":22zrbimj said:
I live in the US. However, thanks to Orlygg's blag o' chaos and lots of posts about BYOL and similar stuff, I did make a pilgrimage to Wargames Foundry, about two years ago. Getting to see the original figures in person definitely made me a better painter. I also went to Warhammer World three times (spread out over several years) and struck up a professional friendship with the curator of the collections there.

But, 3 of those four "miniatures research trips" were when I had a little brother stationed at a USAF base in England! Now that I'd have to pay for lodging I doubt I'll get back anytime soon unfortunately. Also, now my kids are so old they'd have to actually buy plane tickets if I took them with me.

He was about to move to be stationed elsewhere so I flew out there real fast to go see the Crystal Palace dinosaurs and Wargames Foundry. Basically the last two things on my bucket list for Britain. Squeezed in an extra trip to Warhammer World on that trip too.

Before that trip, my wife and I honeymooned at Loch Ness and spent 10 days driving around Scotland. A few years later we took a 10 day vacation in England/Wales once just because. Then another time, we got a couple of 1 day layovers on London on our way too/from Egypt. So I had pretty much nailed down what all I wanted to see over at least once, there in years prior.

Good to see you've taken your opportunities to travel and see quite a lot of this island, well done to you sir. Sorry to hear circumstances have changed, but the world continues to turn, so things may change again.

Here's a picture of the next batch ten figures from RR4 Mengil Manhide's Dark Elf Company, pre -slotta

All the best

Paul / Golgfag1

Attachments

• manhide2.jpg
    manhide2.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 601
Back