The Beginnings of an Undead Army

Show us what you are working on at the moment

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon May 20, 2019 3:53 am

Re: Skeleton Chariot (getting my mojo back)

^Love the shields!

(And the flame look is much more about the standing straight back than the color. Flames come in nearly all colors. Including, rather prominently, goldy yellowy flavors closely akin to "light brown." Just sayin.')

Post Wed May 22, 2019 12:50 am

Wow, those shields are awesome!

Post Fri May 24, 2019 7:40 pm

Cheers guys always appreciated.

As usual not much time for painting but have been making small progress with some shields. I have to admit I've really struggled with painting skulls which is pretty much a must for undead shield design !! I've taken a quick photo of my latest attempts. The 2 round shields are complete but not sold on either of them, I think the Greek face could work but may need another go at it. As for the skull well that's for the bin! I was going for a very realistic skull but some where along the way it just went wrong. I added the eyes in a last desperate attempt to save it but just made it worse. That failure lead my to the 2 oval shields and a more simplistic style of skull which I'm much more happy with and will be the way forward I think.

I guess the good thing with making your own shields is there's alot less pressure on getting it right, as worse case scenario I waste some milliput and my time.
Last edited by dazza36 on Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Fri May 24, 2019 8:09 pm

Sorry, but your "it just went wrong" and "made it worse" are far better than my best paintjobs!! :? :shock:

Post Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:34 pm

Suber wrote:Sorry, but your "it just went wrong" and "made it worse" are far better than my best paintjobs!! :? :shock:

Well having looked through your blog I really think your selling yourself short!

Right managed to paint up a few more, so now have a little selection . Starting to get into the flow of painting these so getting quicker. Really happy with shield with 'Repent' on as it definitely reminds me of the classic style of 'eavyMetal' designs. Would love to be able to do a more Gothic writing but beyond my skill levels ! My biggest issue is trying to get the right balance between the design and the damage on it. I want them to look old and dirty but it definitely seems to work better on some more than others.

Next will be more shields and starting work on a batch of 10 plastic skeletons but not sure yet what weapons I'll use. On top of that I need to start working through my lead pile and look at moving stuff on that I will never get arounf to painting.

Post Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:36 am

These look great, I particularly like the black squid on the white background. I think you have combined the images and the weathering really well on all of them, they're going to make a pretty special unit of skeletons.

Post Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:42 pm

Those shields are crazy good!

Post Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:07 am

^They really are fantastic. And that you have both black squid and white squid makes it even better. :) Lovely lovely stuff!

Post Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:55 pm

Cheers guys glad you like them.

So here's those 10 skeletons I mentioned in my last post. Decided to go with simple hand weapons, as I have a nice bunch of nightmare legion figures soaking in Dettol for a spear unit and not quite worked out archers yet due to the body positions of the plastics. Sadly only 5 are complete with shields as I'm waiting on milliput to dry on my next batch and used some to complete the cavalry. Anyway here you go.

Next up is more shields and a Skull Chukka. So stay tuned

Post Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:14 am

Those look amazing!
PreviousNext

Return to WIP