Advanced HeroQuest: Indiana Jones and the Castle Wolfenstein

You may remember, almost exactly a year ago, I announced I was working on a project to make a new version of Advanced HeroQuest themed around Jordan Mechner's 1989 classic video game, Prince of Persia.

Well, I got a little distracted with a combination of real life and other ideas, and it fell off my immediate to-do list. However, work is going to resume shortly.

But, now I've thought of yet another idea for a new version of Advanced HeroQuest!

This time it's going to be a cross between:

ahq.jpg

and

bc919d8b172d506ef9c6a30d3e705bf5b9f5edf77ac6e3455adac72024e5eedc_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

and

Wolfenstein-3D-Free-Download.jpg

I am going to call it:

ADVANCED HEROQUEST: INDIANA JONES AND THE CASTLE WOLFENSTEIN

Sounds crazy? Yes it is!

It's inspired by two factors:

1. The 1989 Lucasfilm Games title Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure has a section in it where Indy explores the inside of Castle Brunwald, in search of his father:

PfrYrtM.png

Most of this section is viewed as a top-down "dungeon-crawl" with corridors, rooms, doors, stairs and patrolling guards...

fNKtYHB.png

...which Indy frequently encounters, and gets into a fist-fight with...

SVxdEyL.png

2. Wolfenstein 3D, from id Software (1992) is basically a first-person "dungeon-crawl", where the hero, BJ Blazkowics, stalks the corridors of Castle Wolfenstein, opening doors, shooting Nazis and picking up stolen treasure:

273935275.jpg

It struck me that, with only the slightest bit of tweaking, one could turn Advanced HeroQuest into a board game version of Wolfenstein/Last Crusade, where Jones and Blazkowics team up and go on missions together, crawling through the corridors of Castle Wolfenstein, fighting Nazis and searching for treasure!

For the dungeon tiles I will once again be using Zhu Industries' Planstrom set:

planstrom.jpg

(laser-printed by Warbases)

...and for miniatures I will use Bob Murch's Pulp Figures range:

pwm31.jpg

pwm32.jpg

pwm35x470.jpg

pwm30.jpg

and of course, the heroes...

php2.1x470.jpg

Indy bottom-left (obviously). The shirtless chap at the bottom-centre will be BJ Blaskowics, as he's been depicted as shirtless in the cover art.

Updates to follow in the coming weeks...

symphonicpoet

Re: Advanced HeroQuest: Indiana Jones and the Castle Wolfens

You're playing with fire here! Lovely, delicious, wonderful fire! Good luck. I look forward to updates.

Jonas

Looking forward to see more :grin:

Yes, yes, and absolutely yes! 8-) I liked your idea with "Prince of Persia", but this idea is even better! If you want to add a little something extra with a bit more fantasy or sci-fi vibe to it, you might be able to find some inspiration in "Hellboy" (either the movies or the comics). Also, the classic movie "Where eagles dare" (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065207/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1) has a castle similar to the one Indy is visiting - complete with Nazis speaking Englisch vith ze German aczents ;)

By the way, it would be funny if you could find a role for the English Bulldog miniature as well :)

symphonicpoet

^Surely the proper role for any English bulldog . . . or German shepherd for that matter . . . is biting Nazis on the tuchas. (Which requires you to ask which one in this case: the ventral anterior or the dorsal posterior. Either will do.) This might well be a skill that's needful again.

I have never seen "Where Eagles Dare", but that sounds very exciting -- I will check it out soon.

I was also thinking about finding a way to incorporate Tintin and Captain Haddock into the game...

bw2froB.jpg

symphonicpoet

^I can understand why. Glorious miniatures! Tin Tin suggests another good way for a dog to deal with a Nazi. :grin:

Back