Citadel JD, Paranoia AND Gothic Horror

Sleepysod

Since I've started to paint again I've made in roads towards a mixed Citadel/Perry miniatures 2nd/3rd edition Bretonnian/Border Prince army. I'm up to about 150 miniatures - most in a semi painted state. I quite fancy a few ogres or a giant to support them, but haven't really got the motivation to finish what I have at the moment - I'm sure I will return to them at some point.

I also got really excited about Space Fleet and the really old QT models range that GW stocked. I've got a reasonable sized fleet of very basically painted miniatures (inked and dry brushed with a few details), but my real love is Judge Dredd. Had loads of fun playing the RPG in the late 80s and am now awaiting delivery of the latest kickstarter RPG.

I'd been eyeing up some of the Foundry minis and when they dropped the range I picked up most of the ABC warriors at a bargain price. Also have quite a bit of the Mongoose/Warlord minis - both ranges are a bit hit and miss - and that's also the case for the Citadel range... however they are much more widely available and there are some great individual figures out there. Including the infamous angel gang...

Attachments

• Fink front.png
    Fink front.png
    245.7 KB · Views: 5,478

Sleepysod

Re: Angel Gang

love the detail here with Mr Rat. This is a really nice model to paint - sorry about the quality of the images - still working out how to best post these

Attachments

• Fink back.png
    Fink back.png
    237.5 KB · Views: 5,477

Sleepysod

The others Angel gang member's will follow. Have a Link angel in the off but the Mean Machine i have is very crappy and has lost most of his details.

In the mean time here is my JD fatty. Much prefer these to the Mongoose jobs. I'd intended to give him an Adidas double stripe trackie but his layers of fat actually made that quite a challenge. This was the second one I did, my brother in law had one floating around his parents house - hopefully I can find a photo of him to upload (same model, but different arm)

Attachments

• fatty.png
    fatty.png
    219.7 KB · Views: 5,475

Sleepysod

Aha! found the yellow fatty, along with a bunch of other no so oldhammer JD minis

Attachments

• yellow fatty.png
    yellow fatty.png
    130.3 KB · Views: 5,473

Niblebitzer

Those figs look great. Characters are easily identifyable from Judge Dredd universe. Ihave allways been huge fan of Judge Dredd comics.

symphonicpoet

They look good. They'd probably even make nice obstacles in an adventure game unrelated to Dred. Good stuff!

Sleepysod

They are some very nice sculpts in the range - definitely capture the 2000 AD spirit and could easily use as part of a Rogue Trader game (some of the minis are a little on the small side, especially the judges)

Sleepysod

Re: Angel Gang - updated

Am loving these old sculpts - so much character and for some reason the paint and ink is going on really well (for me at least) - has given me a new painting mojo. Hope it doesn't wear off too quickly and I can actually finish them...

Attachments

• 2000AD.jpg
    2000AD.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 5,340

symphonicpoet

Oh, very nice! Some glorious stuff there. Some very characterful miniatures well painted. And I mostly like the eyes. Always kind of a pain in the butt, but . . . well done!

Jonas

I love Dredd, been collecting for quite some time now.

This thread is really nice. I love your painting.

Sleepysod

Re: Angel Gang and various Citadel JD

https://imgur.com/a/pb1EjdY

Perps "Gestapo Bob Harris" and "Rizlo Butty" - having a small break from the Angels. I have Link and Mean half painted - but I'm finding that castings aren't great. I think they've previously been painted and stripped which has lost some of their detail on their faces

Sleepysod

https://imgur.com/EONmyaz

Five completed perps - Rizlo Butty, Kelv, Gestapo Bob Harris, Blaster Bellamy and the notorious gang leader Lorien Speck.

Very low spec .gif below

Attachments

• 5c8504870e800248764943.gif
    5c8504870e800248764943.gif
    208.2 KB · Views: 1,852

Sleepysod

And Judge Quincy and a Lawmaster bike. Both of these were early paint jobs when i was just getting back into the hobby, and whilst I'm reasonably happy with them I'd definitely do them slightly differently today (many more paints, and a slightly better eye... I think)

Attachments

• judge quincy.gif
    judge quincy.gif
    225.2 KB · Views: 1,851

Sleepysod

Last one for today - Death and Mortis. This is the 2nd of the two Citadel figures of Death that I have had a go at, neither "finished" (whatever that really means), but I found that the paint goes on well. Mortis is equally lovey to paint. The other two Dark Judges look a bit more challenging.

Anyhow I started collecting/gaming around 1986, so these are very much of my time and for me at least totally oldhammer. I restarted collecting about 18-24 months ago - and while i enjoyed painting the Perry miniatures and some of the really old substitute space ships its this period that I think of as a golden age (in spite if the many mould lines!)

Attachments

• dark judges.gif
    dark judges.gif
    244.5 KB · Views: 1,850

symphonicpoet

Re: Angel Gang and other Citadel JD miniatures

Oh, more lovely! The uglies are right and properly ugly. (And my compliments for skirting the minefield there.) Judge Quincy looks the business in his polka dot fantasy armor. And Judge Death looks ready for the xylophone solo. Very nice indeed!

Sleepysod

Re: Angel Gang and other Citadel JD miniatures

Early citadel does indeed have a few minefields... mind you rereading early issues of 2000ad is equally painful these days...

Back