twisted moon's 2019

twisted moon

i mentioned at the end of last year that i was having trouble painting some shields (viewtopic.php?f=20&t=14082&start=30). the acquisition of some 2mm diameter tamiya masking tape has allowed me to surmount this, so here are the completed figures.

these are from offensive miniatures and form the human component of the spanglish town constabulary. here's one of them leading a patrol of automated constables (not painted recently) in a routine sweep.

Attachments

• Constabulary1.JPG
    Constabulary1.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 3,776
  • Constabulary2.JPG
    Constabulary2.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 3,776

twisted moon

i also finally managed to complete the officers' coach for the company of the yellow boot.

although there are always more non-combatants who could be added, i'm calling that project done now. i was asked to show the whole force, so i'll try and get them photographed and posted to the showroom in the relatively near future.
no plans for a major project this year; i think i'll keep it eclectic and paint what i fancy to maintain enthusiasm.

Attachments

• Company of the Yellow Boot Baggage10.JPG
    Company of the Yellow Boot Baggage10.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 3,772
  • Company of the Yellow Boot Baggage11.JPG
    Company of the Yellow Boot Baggage11.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 3,772
  • Company of the Yellow Boot Baggage12.JPG
    Company of the Yellow Boot Baggage12.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 3,772

symphonicpoet

You know what's funny, real security robots look a bit like that. (Albeit without the plungers.) Ominous stuff when you think about it. Good use of some classic miniatures.

twisted moon

here's my take on the oakbound studios aedwyrm.

Attachments

• Aedwyrm1.JPG
    Aedwyrm1.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 3,665
  • Aedwyrm2.JPG
    Aedwyrm2.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 3,665

twisted moon

i'm back on the ratmen for a while; on the left we have a couple of multi-part resin figures from mierce miniatures: blunt-claw and quick-blade. i got these as presents for christmas 2017 as, although they're nice sculpts, they're too expensive for me. the others are citadel: a poisoned wind globadier and the second iteration of the jezzail team.

these are from clan renj; a client of clan skryre. as a consequence they get lots of experimental new weapons to test under battlefield conditions with the benefit of getting to keep whatever doesn't blow up and kill the operators.
here's another view of the globadier and jezzail.

Attachments

• Skaven1.JPG
    Skaven1.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 3,558
  • Skaven2.JPG
    Skaven2.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 3,558

twisted moon

some more ratmen; this time the third iteration of the jezzail, which i'll be using as a sharp-shooter team and four warplock muskets.

these are shattered isles miniatures sculpted by mark sims. i got them from black hat miniatures, but the range has subsequently been sold on and I cannot currently remember to whom.
here's another shot of the sharpshooter team:

i'd like to add a front rank with rests but no pavises to the four warplock muskets if i can find suitable figures, but until then this is a complete unit for clan renj,

Attachments

• Skaven3.JPG
    Skaven3.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 3,527
  • Skaven4.JPG
    Skaven4.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 3,527

twisted moon

something a bit different today. i got rangers of shadow deep for christmas, and decided to form a ranger band from my wood elf / sidhe miniatures, some of which i was painting up last november (or, as i prefer, the el(e)venth month): viewtopic.php?f=20&t=14082&start=20.
in developing the band i wanted to explore some of the options that are different to frostgrave, and a raptor was one of these. i didn't have any bird of prey miniatures amognst the lead pile, a search of ebay didn't inspire and nor did a peruse of traders at vapnartak. then i remembered i had some rammage from my order of warmonger elven nymph archers, voila! a very suitable proxy, i think.

she also, coincidentally qualifies as an entry for femruary, so that's nice.
now to get some games in.

Attachments

• Faerie.JPG
    Faerie.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 3,462

twisted moon

twisted moon":712fa71l said:
i'd like to add a front rank with rests but no pavises to the four warplock muskets if i can find suitable figures,

so i made these using warhammer regiment's bodies i got fairly cheaply from ebay a while ago, spare heads from an aos clan pestilens starter set, garden wire, weapons from my original warhammer regiments box in three cases, a metal spare from a previous conversion and a sliver of milk bottle plastic in the others, milliput, and pva soaked tissue.

Attachments

• Skaven conversions1.JPG
    Skaven conversions1.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 3,389
  • Skaven conversions2.JPG
    Skaven conversions2.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 3,389

symphonicpoet

Interesting! Not at all familiar with the heads you're using, but they kind of look like they have a neat fishy/reptilian/amphibioid vibe. Looking forward to seeing them in paint.

twisted moon

symphonicpoet":ea0n103f said:
... they kind of look like they have a neat fishy/reptilian/amphibioid vibe.

hmm, my photography clearly leaves a lot to be desired. here they are painted up, hopefully that will provide greater clarity.

... and here with some musketeers.

due to a combination of the poses, bases used and additions they don't line up. the intention was always to split these up amongst all the warplock musket units, so i'm optimistic that will overcome the issue.
with the current number of musketeers i have, i need another seven rest holders, so will be looking out for other suitable figures to convert.

Attachments

• Skaven5.JPG
    Skaven5.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,645
  • Skaven6.JPG
    Skaven6.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,645
  • Skaven7.JPG
    Skaven7.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 1,643

symphonicpoet

They parse very differently in paint than I expected. And photographing miniatures is, to be fair, a pain in the butt. I clearly did not read them right. :oops:

symphonicpoet

twisted moon":o295tlbv said:
symphonicpoet":o295tlbv said:
I clearly did not read them right. :oops:

No need for you to be embarrassed, the responsibility lies with me. they're still not that clear even painted.

They're a lot clearer when painted. The brown is a big clue. As to the rest . . . I blame the masks and maybe a fixation with frogs and lizards. Anyway, they still look like neat conversions. Ambitious stuff. Fun and pretty.

twisted moon

i picked up a reaper dark heaven bones 77139 altar of evil to go in the mausoleum i built a couple of of years ago (viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9793&start=20). what i couldn't see from pictures on the interweb, or the blister pack was that this piece has no back. so i broke out the oyumaru and made a mold to press cast one with millput. here's the result once the pressing was superglued to the rest of the altar:

i toyed with the idea of filling the seams, but deciced i was happy with the indication that someone/thing has been trying to break into / out of the altar.
i've given it a basic paint job to match it's surrounds ...

... and installed it in the mausoleum:

damn; i meant to put the roof back on to take that last photo. through the broken beams.

Attachments

• Altar cast.JPG
    Altar cast.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 1,548
  • Altar painted.JPG
    Altar painted.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,548
  • Altar in situ.JPG
    Altar in situ.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 1,548

twisted moon

i've had more skaven on the painting table, but have not been feeling it. rather than stalling completely i decided to try something different and came up with this for spanglish town:

made (obviously, i assume) from a chunk of expanded polystyrene packing, painted with emulsion house paint and then with various bits stuck on. i'll add graffitti top the back wall at a later date, as well as basing it with the rest once i've worked out what i'm doing about roads.

Attachments

• Bank1.JPG
    Bank1.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 1,444
  • Bank2.JPG
    Bank2.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 1,444
  • Bank3.JPG
    Bank3.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 1,444
Back