Eldar Quest: Space Crusade revisited

SamusDrake

Been working on recreating Space Crusade from scratch, but with a few twists thrown in...

3a7fd2_cb0d453bafb343ce8bb938db707e9bad~mv2_d_2500_3000_s_4_2.jpg

...which include the Warlock chap you see in the picture, and a solo-play feature inspired by Castle Ravenloft. The event deck is the real challenge as it needs to accomodate an Eldar vs Orks theme but I've decided to write an android app to handle that.

Been playing around with the game being set on an Eldar "maiden world" which has been sullied by some ork squaters. Sadly missed out on Eldar Attack back in the day, so here we can just fill in that blank. The Warlock can have multiple hit points while bringing psychic powers to the table, bringing that Heroquest feel. Other ideas are that the Warlock is a bit like Elrond in LOTR where he has an estate home on the planet and is constantly raided by Orks.

Still a lot of "construction" and paint work to do but its always fun to work on this project.

Steve.

Zhu Bajie

Looks really great so far.

Are you sticking with the minimal / flat colour approach? Appreciate it might just be at 'prototype' stage but I really like it.

SamusDrake

Thank you Zhu.

I had intended to do more elaborate artwork, but have grown attached to the prototypes so I'll stick with that style for a little longer. If my art skill improves I would then like to make a more Eldar'n'Ork theme set of boards.

SamusDrake

Working on the dice at the moment, and experimenting with a new-ish putty called "Blue stuff".

I have a few GW pieces that are now out-of-print such as the Rogue Trader era Space Marines and the first Jan Zarr, and I'm looking to preserve them. The blue-stuff arrived today from Spain and giving that a test to reproduce these parts with Milliput. I'm stripping their paint off using a liquid called "Clean Spirit"...

Just noticed I still have another Warlock unpainted, so if this blue-stuff works I might reproduce it and give it a nice paint job.

Not much else happening at the moment, though.

JonAtron

Just in case you run into problems when you use the blue stuff to make the molds, I found if you use it right out of a pan of simmering water, it holds its heat well and gives you time to press it into all the gaps you need with a wet chop stick. If you just soak it in water out of the kettle in a pot as the instructions advise, it cools too quick having not absorbed enough heat and is too stiff to get into all the bits you want it to. I have a love hate relationship with it. :)

Thumbs up for the project! :grin:

SamusDrake

Cheers!

The first bluestuff attempt was a ballsup on my half as I used way too much milliput, which was also a bit too wet. With more patience and practice I ought to do better.

I have lots of "GU" glass pots lying around and filled one with boiled water from the kettle, and then once the blue chunks went in, covered it with a slate coaster. Exactly 4 minutes heating time worked a charm.

Putting that aside, theres the Ork models. Considering how big Space Crusade was, and the smaller scale of this version, I found GW's current Gretchin and Runtherder, and a pack of 4 easy-to-build Ork Boyz just right. For only £13 they replace the original Getchin and orks magnificently, and provide more options such as the Gretchin with the grenade stick, and the Runtherder being more brutal in melee than the standard Boyz.

Its just the Warlock on his jack-jones for the moment, but should it need more missions(quests?) with the squad feel of the original then a pack of four guardians and Lootas/Burnas would be a good starting point. We could call this "expansion" "Mission: Waaargghh!" :grin:

Back