The Orfington Milita: Halflings

Outsider

For most of my wargaming life I've seen halflings as an oddity; not really something I've been interested in for the most part. Any myriad of reasons could be cited, but recently I had a change of heart and the pics of Haflings I've seen on this site and others awoke something within me. Since then I've wanted to include halflings in my collection. My general plan has been to collect small armies which I can use for all sorts of things; and this fit what I wanted to do with halflings to a tee.

So a fair few months ago I decided to put an order in for a few blisters of Mirliton's ex-Grenadier halflings/halfmen to put together the Orfington Town Militia to see off anyone daring to trespass on their land or anything else for that matter. I really like Copplestone's sculpts for these chaps and the price point was fairly decent as well.

acek2q7.jpg

I actually cleaned these things up and based them a few months ago.

Screen_Shot_2018-03-15_at_00.59.04.png

Unfortunately I came unstuck with the priming; I had to go three times with these things as I had a run of bad luck each time I tried to prime them. I eventually got a decent-ish coating on them (no clue why; I had primed my dwarves with the same stuff I did these and they came out perfectly). This was before I had converted to gesso, but still, it was a bit of a bother. Especially having to rebase them.

IZh4vyL.png

Finally got a decent coating on them, so I began to paint; it's been a while since I touched them, but here's where I got with them.

LJL2vXf.jpg

s5gkscb.jpg

QpX4IBF.jpg

There's been a lot of stagnation on these projects since my move; I'm hoping to kick into higher gear and finish these off sooner rather than later. I also might add some of Copplestone's later sculpts (and a few variations of his pony-riding halflings for cav) in the future.

Outsider

JonAtron":1vpyoum5 said:
What happened with your priming? Did you have to strip them each time and have another go?

I'm not really sure why as I checked the humidity and the temperature was fine; plus I made sure to shake and warm the cans, etc but I just couldn't get a good basecoat on the miniatures; the paint either was too thick or it went gritty so they had to be dunked the the meths a fair few times before I got a half-decent coat on the things.

JonAtron

I feel your pain, I tend to stick to halfords grey primer myself, it just works first time every time for me. Like you I've had issues, when I used white, it went all powdery and textured, maybe I used to spray too much on?

Still nice looking project, look forward (like I do with every ones logs on here) to seeing more of your progress!

i'm watching this with interest. i've got a halfling army sitting here waiting to painted up and anything that influences me to get on with it will be appreciated :grin:

Outsider

daddyorchips":1550064z said:
i'm watching this with interest. i've got a halfling army sitting here waiting to painted up and anything that influences me to get on with it will be appreciated :grin:

Thanks; hopefully i won't disappoint; they've been on my desk staring me down for a fair while now as I work on this chaos army and a side project. Thinking of just splitting them into a five a day plan; that should get them on the table within a week or so of me starting.

Outsider

The priming job and the poor basing just were annoying me, and putting me off painting them. So I'm going to strip them again and have another go at painting them up. Hopefully they should go a bit easier this time around thanks to the gesso.

Outsider

Nearly a year later with several failed attempts and them staring at me forlorn on my desk for far too long, I've finally made decent progress on them.

Not much left to do, and then it'll be onto basing. Hopefully posting the progress won't have cursed them to have another year long hiatus!

4qr49x5.png

Outsider

Thanks for the kind words. I don't know about you all, but when it comes to the end of a painting project, I always find myself at a stage where I've got a half dozen tiny things left to do where every time I think I'm nearly done, I realise I've yet to do this or that.

But they're certainly starting to get to a point where I can break out the sand and static grass.

kaXFCbT.png

Outsider

And the militia is mustered!

There are still a few things I want to do; add a little colour to the feathers, perhaps paint a device on the banner once I can decide on what to do, and all the little things that come up when you take another look at some miniatures, but I think I can call this finished for now.

5RhnQfd.png

Plaiecivile

Now we're talking! Great force and the theme feels just right.

Any upcoming boost to this project? Treeman... chicken cavalry... ;)

Outsider

Plaiecivile":w22yd0bt said:
Now we're talking! Great force and the theme feels just right.

Any upcoming boost to this project? Treeman... chicken cavalry... ;)

Thanks for the praise; I'm really pleased with how they've turned out with the colours and such.

Nothing's planned for the moment. There's a few things I might pick up in the future, such as Copplestone's continuation essentially of this range, but for now I've got enough unpainted lead and plastic around to keep me going for a while!

Back