Golgfag1's preparation for BOYL 2019

Golgfag1

Not a great deal of progress on the painting front this last week, but I have been adding to my troop selection following a trip to the Perry miniature website - a selection of Samurai cavalry, a selection of Ashigaru archers, a couple of Cannon with palisades and personal banners, their a tad larger than the Citadel miniatures but not enough to be too much and just to add a touch of original Fantasy a Tom Meier Oriental Dragon :lol: which I've already stripped, assembled, primed and based :grin: .

The plan is to paint the Dragon this weekend, just a have a break from the infantry :grin:. The army begins to take shape 8-)

Paul/Golgfag1

Attachments

• IMG_20180812_110058.jpg
    IMG_20180812_110058.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 1,440

Golgfag1

Well my weekend didn't go according to plan, when my wife announced She was going to attend a fencing competition over the course of the weekend - to cut a long story short this led to me knocking a hole in the chimney breast of my front lounge, repair the chimney, re-lining the cavity and re-plastering! :cry: Needless to say the painting of the Oriental Dragon was minimal, but here's a few shots of my progression using various blues, glazes, mixing in of white and starting to paint the detail, so far :) .

More detail, as ever my pictures do me no fravors, especially as the last few were taken at dusk. :lol:

Paul/Golgfag1

Attachments

• primer.jpg
    primer.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 1,407
  • first coat.jpg
    first coat.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 1,407
  • second coat.jpg
    second coat.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 1,407
  • third coat.jpg
    third coat.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 1,407
  • fourth coat.jpg
    fourth coat.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 1,407
  • fifth coat.jpg
    fifth coat.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 1,407
  • seventh coat.jpg
    seventh coat.jpg
    411.1 KB · Views: 1,407
  • eigth coat.jpg
    eigth coat.jpg
    510.8 KB · Views: 1,407
  • Details.jpg
    Details.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 1,407

Golgfag1

OK, not so much as progress towards BOYL, but towards Orctober 8-) - the Black Mountain Boys, have finally made it to the table, I'm hoping to have them all done for the end of the month, and as I've taken Half-term off, I'm fairly confident they'll get done and provide me with a second regiment of dwarf ticklers !

Here are to days progress shots

With a bit of luck, I should have this first batch done and a second, well on the way to being complete by close of business tomorrow :grin:

All the best

Paul/Golgfag1

Attachments

• BM Boys 1.jpg
    BM Boys 1.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 1,264
  • BM Boys 2.jpg
    BM Boys 2.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 1,264
  • BM Boys 3.jpg
    BM Boys 3.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 1,264
  • BM Boys 4.jpg
    BM Boys 4.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 1,264
  • BM Boys5.jpg
    BM Boys5.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 1,264
  • BM Boys 6.jpg
    BM Boys 6.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 1,264

Golgfag1

First real post of 2019, showing what I'm currently working on - Eldar Rangers, these have been sat in a box for at least the last seven years!, where does the time go, anyway here's the first squad to hit the painting table, the rest are current in a bath of paint stripper waiting for me to clean them off with my power washer ( I'm not kind to my miniatures, as I'm fed-up with loosing my finger tips to the chemical bath, whilst using a scrubbing brush). Hopefully, I'll have have a few squads ready for BOYL, before I return my attention to the samurai!
As ever my pictures do me no favours

Paul/Golgfag1

Attachments

• 20190317_104717.jpg
    20190317_104717.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 979
  • 20190317_104754.jpg
    20190317_104754.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 979

dazza36

Very nice.

Love the contrast of camouflage with yellow helmet and like the way you've painted up the weapons gives them an ancient feel to them with the mix of metal/wood

symphonicpoet

Love the paint jobs, no matter the camera. Those are definitely some interesting miniatures: Kind of what I'd call "middlehammer" with a nod to the old, and your paint does a great job of showing that off: some gritty middlehammer Imp Guard-ish greens combined with some old-school yellow piratical elf-helm. And like Dazza said, I love what you did with the laser muskets. That is absolutely a fantastic look: Space Sindar, if you will, as opposed to the slightly earlier RT-era Space Valiquendi. Love it!

Golgfag1

Still struggling to get back into painting, So I took a step backwards totally re-vamped my C series Red Dragon, stripped, re-built, and splashed a bit of paint about, on the whole very happy with the result

Here she is with her contemporary's.

Enjoy

Paul/Golgfag1

Attachments

• Red Dragon 1.jpg
    Red Dragon 1.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 1,065
  • Red Dragon 2.jpg
    Red Dragon 2.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 1,065
  • Red Dragon 3.jpg
    Red Dragon 3.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 1,065
  • Red Dragon 4.jpg
    Red Dragon 4.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 1,065
  • Dragons 1.jpg
    Dragons 1.jpg
    524.6 KB · Views: 1,065

Sleepysod

Really like what you’ve done there. Strong, bold colours fits the mini really well. Love the eye detail as well. Also big fan of the blue oriental dragon. Much prefer these dragons the the later mid 90’s dragons, these ones seem to have much more character

symphonicpoet

Quite nicely done! I haven't touched my dragon collection in forever. Should perhaps finish up another and maybe fix the damaged blue.

Golgfag1

Thanks for the kind comment. Here's my latest toy to pass over the painting table - some C series lizardmen coldone riders, just the basing to do now. Hope to get the next batch done over the forthcoming weekend.

Enjoy

Paul / Golgfag1

Attachments

• 20190516_080103.jpg
    20190516_080103.jpg
    737 KB · Views: 971
  • 20190516_080115.jpg
    20190516_080115.jpg
    802.9 KB · Views: 971
These look great ! also the dragons above. Looking forward to see them based and at Boyl also hopefully. Think i saw Foundry Pygmys in the background of one photo also here? really need to get some also sometime.

Golgfag1

Pygmy Witch Doctor":3vmpvt80 said:
These look great ! also the dragons above. Looking forward to see them based and at Boyl also hopefully. Think i saw Foundry Pygmys in the background of one photo also here? really need to get some also sometime.

Thanks for the kind comments, yes, these and their friends should make it to BOYL for the Lustria game on Friday, or at least that's the plan. Yes, those are Foundry Pygmys in he background of one of the Dragon photos - something else on the to do list :lol: :lol: :lol:
Watch this space as more of these Lizard types should get daubed with paint this weekend 8-)

Paul/Golgfag1

Golgfag1

As stated last week, the next batch has duly made it to the varnish stage, the next batch may take a bit longer as half of them are in the bath and the others are in what of some running repairs. Hopefully, if, I get them all done in time this will provide me with quite a substantial cavalry wing to add to my Slann / Lizardman army. 8-) 8-) 8-)

As ever my pictures do my painting no favors

Enjoy

Question to the Forum - as both the lizardman & coldone have armour saves within their normal profiles, at what point do you start deducting movement for armour saves?

Paul / Golgfag1

Attachments

• 2nd batch.jpg
    2nd batch.jpg
    484.2 KB · Views: 900
  • 2nd batch 1 .jpg
    2nd batch 1 .jpg
    941.5 KB · Views: 900
  • 2nd batch 2.jpg
    2nd batch 2.jpg
    741.3 KB · Views: 900

Scalene

Lovely set of lizards there. How have you collected so many!!? On the armour save front, surely creatures that have a save as part of their core characteristics wouldn’t take a penalty?

Golgfag1

Thank you, as for the number of models I rationalized my collection about twenty years ago specializing in just a few races - O&G, Slann/Lizardmen & Dark Elves all other stuff is just reconstituted armies from other periods (ancients, Renaissance etc.) and I did a deal with a chap by the name of Geoff Freeman who specialized in old Citadel, Geoff has disappeared off the face of the plant (I'm saying nothing, but if I did ever meet him again I'm sure the conversation would be robust) anyway obviously a considerable amount of lead was exchange which has left me with a considerable collection of figures for the named races, plus whatever I've added via Ebay.

As for the armour save - so would I, but I think it wish to ask - as this would leave these little chaps with a save of 4+ without any movement restrictions (Lizardman +1, Coldone +1 & mount +1) add a shield and light armour and you have a save of 2+ for only one inch of lost movement - nasty. No point in giving them heavy armour as ones always fail.

Paul/ Golgfag1

Back