Jagannath's Ongoing Pulp Sci-Fi/Rogue Trader

Jagannath

Hiya folks,

I've been lurking here a long while - usually post over on LAF but I'm embarking on a particularly 'Oldhahmmery' project at the mo, so though there might some interest over here.

I've always loved the Rogue Trader adventurers/pirates/mercenaries ranges - spent a long time painting 15mm characters and denizens trying to capture the spirit of those 3 ranges, but I've also been shopping (slowly) on eBay, getting hold of them. I'm also a massive fan of Bob Murch's Pulp Figures, but I've been postponing a Pulp project for years (I'm a fantasy and sci-fin fan at heart) so I've decided to also bring in converted Pulp figures, and other similar minis (Citadel did include the Indiana Jones style 'Bandit' in their vision of the 41st millenium after all).

Here's my most recent batch:

heroic-pulp-guy.jpeg

This chap's just a heroic type fella (look at that jawline!). No idea why's got a bandolier when he's *clearly* carrying a lasgun ;)

captain.jpeg

Smuggling ain't easy. (Especially if you lose an eye).

drunken-pilot-1.jpeg

drunken-pilot-2.jpeg

Admittedly my love a vaguely mustard Vallejo paint mean this guy's gone a bit 'Star Trek' (although I can't remember an episode where Kirk borrows Lobots hat and get's drunk on Velljuvian wine!).

pirate-1.jpeg

pirate-2.jpeg

I love this mini's pose - one of my favourite minis. Nowt witty to say.

pilot-1.jpg

(No, it absolutely is a laser pistol - that's why it's white!)

'Scuse the pics - Mu lighting set it up particularly horrible at the mo, so I'm just using my lamps. Seems to make the matt finish look glossy in parts - definitely can't see that in the flesh. You'll also clock that some of my pulp 'conversions' just have non-pulpy paintjobs!

I've been really busy recently - and it's H-O-T! - but I'm aiming to add a mini a week to this project.

Anyway, it's nice to be able to contribute!

Jagannath

haha I can see that resemblance!

I Boxed off a couple more Rogue Trader naughty boys – a drunken chap (hence the red nose) and a punken (?!) chap.

img_1839-e1534373100293.jpg

img_1840-e1534373082625.jpg

img_1837-e1534373110183.jpg

img_1838-e1534373090701.jpg

Lovely sculpts – I really like the contorted pose of the yellow suited drunk, it’s a great dynamic pose, even if it is bizarre. He’s got a cracking face too.I struggle to paint dark skin tones (they’re a bit like black – hard to highlight whilst keeping them looking dark) so I treated myself to a Foundry ‘Dark Skin’ paint triad. I rarely use ready made triads, usually just mix light and shade from a base midtone, but this one helped. Not perfect, but pretty good. His pants draw any attention away from the skintone anyway!

These are painted to vaguely tie in with the first two Rogue Trader minis down the page, and there's a couple more to come soon.

Back