TheOttoVonBismark's Oldhammer Slann WIP

Obscure Creator":2maaebay said:
Good job on those slann , they look really tiny and thin , how different from how they look today :)

Thanks mate!

The new ones are pretty big by comparison, too big in my mind. The static pose of the design means that they can't really be posed any other way without looking a bit odd if they were ever to make a walking Slann for some reason.

Couldn't resist:

slann-can-has-cheezeburger.jpg

The only models that appeal to me in the current range (apart from the nice shields and the new Dark Elf Cold Ones) are the Blowpipe armed Chameleon Skinks http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1610064a. They are beautiful figures and will likely end up as my Venom tribes. I know they might be a little on the small side vs. the Slann models but I don't give a damn, I will base them up on 25mm bases for 3rd Ed and they will be fine. If anyone is having a hard time getting enough Slann models (e.g. everyone except Goblin Lee) I would recommend these chaps. Venom tribes are some of the bests troops available to the Slann army in 3rd ed and you will certainly want to field them against every opponent. In theory they have a D6 Strength hit with a +1 S to all attacks for being poisionous - basically the only high strength non magical missile attack available to you. The venom tribes always struck me as an evolutionary branching of the Slann anyways seeing as they can actually shoot straight!

cheetor

phreedh":3rwxo4el said:
I thought Paul moaned about you keeping a box of Slann from him.

I did moan about that :)

theottovonbismark":3rwxo4el said:
Paul did seem to think I had 40k ones, but I only ever showed him converted fantasy ones.

I thought that you had some sci-fi ones (are there "proper" 40K ones in that case?). I must have imagined it. :oops:

I am marginally relieved that you dont have them sitting in a box destined to be half finished or queuing up for recasting in twenty-five years. I would like a few, but I reckon that I will leave the space frogs to you and concentrate on space cat-people, bird-people, lizard-people, turtle people etc that I already have in the heap. When those are done (circa 2050) I will get back to you ;)

Your slann look fantastic by the way. Its tough, time-consuming work getting a palette like that to work.

cheetor":364mg5ss said:
phreedh":364mg5ss said:
I thought Paul moaned about you keeping a box of Slann from him.

I did moan about that :)

theottovonbismark":364mg5ss said:
Paul did seem to think I had 40k ones, but I only ever showed him converted fantasy ones.

I thought that you had some sci-fi ones (are there "proper" 40K ones in that case?). I must have imagined it. :oops:

I am marginally relieved that you dont have them sitting in a box destined to be half finished or queuing up for recasting in twenty-five years. I would like a few, but I reckon that I will leave the space frogs to you and concentrate on space cat-people, bird-people, lizard-people, turtle people etc that I already have in the heap. When those are done (circa 2050) I will get back to you ;)

Your slann look fantastic by the way. Its tough, time-consuming work getting a palette like that to work.

Cheers Paul! The palette is on the loud side, I found that having the equipment matching helps to anchor them into visual coherency, in this case the headdress and shields, also the weapons (although there will be some swords and pose conversions on the next 4 eagle warriors I tackle).

There are indeed "proper" RT Slann. A couple of guys have the full set painted, the bastards! :cry: .

1343597529416.jpg

Goblin Lee has them (and most of the stock of Slann cast in 1987 by the look of things :razz: :
http://goblinlee.blogspot.ie/2013/08/space-slann-completed.html

Ohh almost forgot that there is an unreleased Slann model that is worth it's weight in gold:

130px-Unreleased_-_Space_Slann.jpg

Mutantdale

Happy to say I also have a set of all 13 of the space slann including the rare unreleased version.. Not easy to get though :(

Did rogue trader have rules for them? I can't remember seeing any.

I really like what you did with the mounted space slann. Its making me look at converting one myself.

I have very few of the fantasy slann though :( missed getting them when they were cheap and they do not turn up in sufficient enough quantities priced at less than a kidney now for me to do an army.

I may look at getting a small warband if I can find enough people willing to part with them.

MD

Mutantdale":2tbcnwd8 said:
Happy to say I also have a set of all 13 of the space slann including the rare unreleased version.. Not easy to get though :(

Did rogue trader have rules for them? I can't remember seeing any.

I really like what you did with the mounted space slann. Its making me look at converting one myself.

I have very few of the fantasy slann though :( missed getting them when they were cheap and they do not turn up in sufficient enough quantities priced at less than a kidney now for me to do an army.

I may look at getting a small warband if I can find enough people willing to part with them.

MD

Nice and getting the unreleased one is no mean feat. I will probably end up sculpting some Notslann in the coming year since no other bugger seems to have stepped up to the plate yet, just takes bloody ages to get sculpts done at my current level but I iz learning fast. I have to ask Fimm McCool how he went about doing his Marsh Demons http://gamesorkshop.blogspot.co.uk/. Trying to create a Slann army at Ebay prices is ludicrous and unfortunately demand for aztec demon frogs is not high enough for any manufacturers to take seriously. :(

Rogue Trader did indeed have rules for them in the main rulebook, but that was it. A Slann warband could be generated randomly. In a nutshell they can't shoot for shit, get access to fancy field armour and are big on psykers.

Mutantdale

Ahh cool I will have to dig out my book and look them up.

I was really lucky getting the slann all 13 came off 1 guy along with a load of other rogue trader unreleased and super rare minis. He was selling off his collection and I basically bought 99% of it ;)

If you do go ahead with sculpts keep us all informed on here and you will get a lot of people wanting sets.. I am already interested ;)

MD

Chico

Yes please for a Slann set, while your at it i'll like a Hybrid set too.. oh and some Chaos Squats heh Get busy lol

Chico":u9fl7v3o said:
Yes please for a Slann set, while your at it i'll like a Hybrid set too.. oh and some Chaos Squats heh Get busy lol

I had better start sooner than later so, they are not going to sculpt themselves!

WIP of the scheme I plan to use for the Warrior Priests. Shield emblems will be varied, as will weapons but the outfit will be consistent in the unit of 10. Might go for a brighter more leathery brown on that shield also. Decided on milky white eyes, symbolic of their blind rage perhaps but I wasn't thinking that when I painted them. I just wanted them to look high as a kite on the concoction of narcotics that I imagine they imbue before a battle. He is supposed to be covered in war paint, so who knows what colour he is under his makeup.

img_9245.jpg

img_9247.jpg

img_9246.jpg

aggro84":bgdcjktn said:
I love you color schemes you have chosen for your Slann.
They are very inventive!

Thanks Aggro84! This one came about by the combination of the priest in the middle of this image:

0bc45a55f72754bc2545e5c9126c4f41.jpg

...with this:

spectrum3.jpg

I am literally trying to get the whole of the colour spectrum onto this unit - now where can I buy some ultraviolet and infared paint....

cheetor

theottovonbismark":1gw8mvs9 said:
I am literally trying to get the whole of the colour spectrum onto this unit

The Harlequin approach. Ballsy.

theottovonbismark":1gw8mvs9 said:
now where can I buy some ultraviolet and infared paint....

I was going to comment on how well the painting on the UV in particular had come out actually.

Is the flesh on that guy supposed to look like he is daubed in mud, tribal style? Or is the frog that colour?

cheetor":1i5eho77 said:
theottovonbismark":1i5eho77 said:
I am literally trying to get the whole of the colour spectrum onto this unit

The Harlequin approach. Ballsy.

theottovonbismark":1i5eho77 said:
now where can I buy some ultraviolet and infared paint....

I was going to comment on how well the painting on the UV in particular had come out actually.

Is the flesh on that guy supposed to look like he is daubed in mud, tribal style? Or is the frog that colour?

That's a good question. You will not be surprised to hear that I have spent many an hour meditating on what kind of war paint would actually stick to a frog without suffocating the bugger. In the end I decided that it's some kind of breathable "magic paint", and why not.

I think that I want him to look a little daubed in mud, hence the brownish colour. I think the source material's dark brown has a nice feel to it rather than going with a stark black paint job. He is still WIP right now and not fully highlighted yet. I may avoid the use of the gloss varnish on him to emphasize the dried on war paint and to distinguish him from the gloss varnished frog skin of the other models. I think a warrior priest should look a little like he might smell of cold one manure - kind of like Father Jack from the Father Ted series. Priests are the creepiest unit the Slann have to offer, they are basically the Slann version of witch elves making blood sacrifices to daemonic entities to ensure the sun rises tomorrow (and for a bit of a laugh). I may even paint them foaming at the mouth if I can get it to not look shit.

I need a champion for the Eagle Warriors and want to experiment with reposing so this is the result. Bending the legs and putting him on one foot works well in general with these minis. I had to remove the hand and re-sculpt the sword arm to give it a convincing pose. I want to have some ancient heriloom Slann technology instead of "magic" weapons which is why the weapon is an Eldar chainsword with a bit of green stuff to change the shape a little - the lower part of the chainsword will be painted like an eagle maw. I like it's visual similarity to the Slann macuahuitl sword. I will do some more reposing on the newer members of this unit as it helps to break up the cookie cutter effect of only having a single base model to work with.

The Totem Slann are far too static in the sculpts but the upside is that they afford simple reposing pretty well.

dsc_06381.jpg

dsc_06371.jpg

dsc_06421.jpg

dsc_06401.jpg

Asslessman

What I do know is that I've sent multiple messages to know if it was possible to get some individual pieces like heads from those and the FF range but no answer whatsoever so far.

theottovonbismark":3ai2jd0w said:
and finding a suitable techo-shield
About that, there's still an idea in my head that keeps poping to sculpt shields I'd cast in crystal resin so that it looks like some sort of energetic/holographic shield (I even have a better idea than that if you get what I mean)

Back