TheOttoVonBismark's Oldhammer Slann WIP

Show us what you are working on at the moment

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:22 pm

TheOttoVonBismark's Oldhammer Slann WIP

Hi All,

The high astronomer of the Jade Throne informs me that the auspices for me getting some 3rd Edition Slann are favorable. Good thing too as they have been sitting in the box unloved for nearly 20 years now!

Without further ado:

Eagle Warrior (Test Model)

Front

Back

For fun I made some 10mm Versions - mind you, they are on the big side of 10mm, I will be making them smaller on a theoretical later iteration ;)

10mm Eagle Warriors

Front:

Currently in the painting pipeline are a unit of Eagle Warriors, Warrior Priests and some Scouts/Jungle Braves. I will post some more pics of WIP as we go.

Post Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:29 pm

Re: TheOttoVonBismark's Oldhammer Slann WIP

Rumours on the interwebs are that you have a sizeable stash of space slann too. Will you get to these as well? =)

Good job on the test model.

Post Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:47 pm

I wish I did have any proper space slann!

I never actually saw any even on sale in Ireland so I never bought any - not likely that I will buy them now at exploitation prices either. I predict in that in 5 - 10 years I will use some kind of futuristic scanning and 3d printing that has not been fully developed to get the 40k ones ;) .

I have a couple of converted attempts mostly WIP. They are bound to get some lovin' in the course of this project though.

Space Slann WIPs

Mage/Psyker

Slann Dude

Other Slann Dude

Graviton Gun Dude

Chaos God of Nudehammer

Post Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:50 pm

Those are rather good, big fan of Slann but currently own a grand total of 0 heh

Post Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:35 am

Nice conversions, still. I thought Paul moaned about you keeping a box of Slann from him. Could've been the fantasy ones and I just assumed he meant scifi slann. Never mind.

I quite like the space slann but don't really care for the fantasy chaps. It's fun seeing what others do with them, but I have no urge to own them myself. My wallet is thankful and my wife is less enraged. Good things!

Post Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:05 am

Slann goodness yumy yumy !
Looking froward to seeing the progress of this one but I love what I'm seeing so far. Get that mage/psyker painted, it looks splendid even now !

Post Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:11 am

Thanks for the +ve feedback!

Paul did seem to think I had 40k ones, but I only ever showed him converted fantasy ones.

"I quite like the space slann but don't really care for the fantasy chaps"

Fantasy chaps ARE space chaps really (warning - your wife WILL fail her frenzy test if you try to make the following point).

They are from the same background in RT and WHFB a pan-galactic culture in decline. The WHFB versions represent the culture regressing to a relatively primitive and barbaric form. I intend to have some fun with this idea during the project as I envision that the Slann of the warhammer world still have some of the relics from the Old Empire, now revered in a sort of Ancient Aliens style. For example a "magic sword" will be represented by a force or power sword. An icon of divine wrath might be that the standard bearer has a laspistol. The Slann who are most civilized (and who brown nose the tribal elders I suspect!) are inducted into the secrets of the hi-tech perhaps (they also get a copy of Chariots of the Gods and a DVD boxed set of Ancient Aliens as part of the induction).

Thantsants has some excellent Amazon fluff in this vein:

http://teasgettingcold.blogspot.ie/search/label/Amazons

Painting wise I have to finish the first 8 Eagle Warriors (which are nearly done now) before I can look at that Psyker/Mage chap but he is high on the priority list for this project. It may be very hard to resist doing a quick test piece for the warrior priests first though.

Post Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:37 pm

Great to see more old style Slann, look forward to the WIP photographs.

Like the flesh colour and tones on your Eagle Warrior, and the converted Cold One Rider is excellent too.

I did a similar thing in RT days in converting up Space Slann, although I have ended up paint stripping them now and returning them to the Jungles of Lustria as fantasy conversions. The Graviton gun Slann looks great, I like how you use the remains of the club to look like a gun handle.

I have some Slann on my blog : http://goblinlee.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05 ... -army.html

and Space Slann http://goblinlee.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08 ... leted.html

Post Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:05 pm

Thanks for the feedback Goblinlee!

When you say you have some Slann on your blog what you should say is "I HAVE ALL THE SLANN CAST IN THE LAST 25 YEARS MOO HAAA HAAAA!".

Having the full 40k set is also well cool!

I have previously had a good pouring over your blog and am very impressed (slack jawed with wonder more like) with the amount of lead you have accumulated. You have some choice models in there. The Sabre Tooth Tiger (Pang Tang Range) really appeals to me - I managed to scrounge some of the other version of the model myself back in the day. They are very lurvly cats.

The Graviton gun guy is probably my favorite of those conversions - might change my mind if the cold one rider turns out purty.

Now back to those Eagle Warriors, they are not gonna paint themselves the lazy buggers!

Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:02 am

Thank you, glad you liked them.

the Pan Tang tigers were nice, it's a shame I did'nt get more at the time.

I do look forward to how your army is going to turn out. I really like the posing of the Cold One rider.

Once I have sorted out my Warhammer Armies project, and probably painted the 40k Squat Army, I am planning sometime in the summer 2014 re-visiting the Slann Army. Plan to change some of the standards, tidy up the painting, paint better sheilds, and finish the whole army off, including the tiger!
Next

Return to WIP