Halfling Ally Contingent

Masterwork

Over the years I have collected a large wood elf army, I'm in the process of adding a Halfling Ally Contingent. I painted the first unit, but decided what I needed was a Halfling Standard Bearer. I don't think citadel ever did one, so I thought I should try sculpting one. This is a log of my attempt at this! This will be my 3rd ever complete figure. Even though the photos look grey, I'm using some old greenstuff, and my own blood sweat and tears!

blogger-image--359466994.jpg

The first painted unit.

blogger-image-7939001.jpg

He's based on the picture of the Halfling Ally Standard Bearer on pg148 of Warhammer Armies. His buckle is larger than the citadel halflings next to him (which is an undersized halfling!), but at that time it was the thing that stuck out. So I think I'll call him 'Buckleberry'.

Masterwork

Day 2.

I redid his feet, added buttons, added the frame for his cloak, and had a go at sculpting his face.

blogger-image-658652290.jpg

He's going to be carrying the standard in both hands which means that at the moment he is weaponless. I need to decide whether to give him a sword on the front by his right leg or on his left hip where it will be partially covered by his cloak.

No sculpting tomorrow as it's D&D night!

Masterwork

Day 3
Thankyou Fimm for the encouragement!

I managed a spot more sculpting this lunchtime. I definitely got the urge at the moment!

blogger-image--1417155359.jpg

I added hairy feet, standard, hands, scabbard, hat and hair.

blogger-image--166617089.jpg

The cloak is filled out a bit, but I need to concentrate on it a bit more as it's looking very unfinished at the moment!

Chico

Looks quite cool, not a Halflin fan but I do admire your sculpting skills, how about doing some Fimir next? :grin:

Asslessman

Well I have to say he really come to life with the banner pole ! I couldn't get the pose before but now I think it's utterly brilliant. Did you do a sketch for him beforehand?. You're building yourself one very fine halfling here sir.

Chico":38zf2grc said:
Looks quite cool, not a Halflin fan but I do admire your sculpting skills, how about doing some Fimir next? :grin:

C'mon Chico, look at the big picture, sculpt him a nice GS beard and there you are with a midget chaos squat with standard!

Masterwork

Thanks for the warm words. Sculpting can take a long time and I feel like I'm not getting anywhere sometimes! He's based on the Halfling Ally Standard Bearer picture in Warhammer Armies:

Halfling+Ally+Standard+Bearer.jpg

I hope you can see some resemblance. There is less than I hoped before I started!

As for Fimir, they are one of those races that never really grabbed me. I know very little of their background, I've never held a figure and I've never fought them. Once I get these halflings out the way I'll have to see where my curiosity takes me...

I did heed the Oldhammer call for demons of Mal... I got as far as sculpting the frame but then I stalled... :roll:. Typical

I hope I can finish little Buckleberry before Sunday is ended. Wish me luck...

Chico

Masterwork":eawez6fd said:
I did heed the Oldhammer call for demons of Mal... I got as far as sculpting the frame but then I stalled... :roll:. Typical

Don't make me come to Guildford and whip you until you finish making those Demons hehe

Masterwork

Cloak folds added and a little pouch off his belt. But there is still some tidying to do. The trouble is I just don't know when to stop. The hat could do with some rework, and I'd like to add something to the top of the standard, but not quite sure what! I decided to stop work on him for the moment and I've started instead, on a musical companion...

blogger-image--1551031432.jpg

blogger-image--873283107.jpg

He is really looking good mate. Don't forget that you are your own worst critic, that's a fine sculpt for anyone's 3rd mini and you will only get better as you put the hours in.

If you are still wondering what to put on the top of that pole I would suggest a Fighting Cock - it's a fierce fighting animal (by halfling standards) and can double as a tasty meal when necessary. ;)

Back