Dirty Dwarves Done Dirt(ish) Cheap

Show us what you are working on at the moment

Moderator: Moderators

Post Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:19 am

Re: Dirty Dwarves Done Cheap

They've turned out nice! Well done.

(sounds of rooting around in cellar to dig out big box of plastic dwarves and orcs)

PS Can you change the title of your post? - it is frying my brain :o I expect dirt in there between done and cheap and when it doesn't appear its like a scratched record!

Post Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:44 pm

Nice job. I have some units of those a well.

Post Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:26 pm

Slow progress on the dwarves; for some reason getting the wood/leather done is taking forever; however things have been done.

Next up after this are the shields.

Post Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:31 am

jon_1066 wrote:They've turned out nice! Well done.

(sounds of rooting around in cellar to dig out big box of plastic dwarves and orcs)

PS Can you change the title of your post? - it is frying my brain :o I expect dirt in there between done and cheap and when it doesn't appear its like a scratched record!

My bad; I would if I could!

KingOfTheLeadPile wrote:Nice job. I have some units of those a well.

They look fantastic. They're very solid miniatures in my book.

Post Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:41 pm

They look great! I really like the colour scheme of dark blue, dark brown and beige.

Post Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:49 am

Lovely colour scheme on these cheap but solidly designed Dwarves. Keep it up!

Post Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:25 am

I see you also have some Russian Tehnolog miniatures in your collection too; that 54mm "Orc" makes a fantastic Ogre!

Post Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:07 am

I actually read it as "done dirt cheap", took till now to realise it wasn't. Very nice dwarves, esp. the conversions.

Post Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:59 pm

Thanks for the comments and sorry for the slight confusion with the thread title.

The painting is nearly done; but my thoughts turned to a few things i had wanted to do.

When I started this army, i had intended to use my Heroquest dwarf as a general/champion/etc figure, but I couldn't bring myself to cut it up. So I decided to leave the model to one side.I didn't want to use it as is either; not only would the base size be a factor, but an unpainted miniature in an army would look a bit odd. But then a thought came to me. Why not compromise? Instead of using a 20mm base and cutting off its base or leaving it utterly untouched, why not make a scenic 40mm base and fit the miniature onto that? It can count as three men plus the dwarf, and be a bit of a novelty.

So I grabbed a few pieces and some putty, placed the dwarf in the centre and got to puttying.

Having waited for the putty to cure, I tested the fit. The Heroquest Dwarf clicks in very nicely with an audible *click* and is held in place by the putty.

Once the putty had cured, I added some pva and gave it a dip in the basing material. Next time I'm priming something, I'll give it a blast, paint the base up and have a nice way to use this miniature. It's not for everyone, but for some reason, this really seems to work for me.

Post Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:46 am

I like it! Great way tonot cut up an old mini :D
PreviousNext

Return to WIP